Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Reporterd by palminfocenter.

See: http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BATT
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Can you say, "Warranty voided?"
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    True, but if you've got an aging Treo it might not be a bad gamble to take. I'd give it some time to see if any issues arise from others using it.
    Its nice to know that replacing the battery is a do-it-yourself job though.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I ordered one today. I'll post back after I install it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
    I ordered one today. I'll post back after I install it.

please do.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The new battery came today from PDAParts.com. I also ordered the torx wrenches and the case-opener tool. I didn't have that size of torx wrench so those were a must-have but the case-opener tool isn't really necessary. It did help but it doesn't seem too hard to get the case open without it.

It really was as easy to install as they say in the direction on their website. It took under 5 minutes. The original battery *was* stuck down to the circuit board but it was easy to pry loose with gentle pressure.

You do need to sync before and after because removing the battery cleans the device.

The original battery has a tiny circuit board on it's side, with two small chips and a couple of other components on it. The new battery is slightly bigger (hence the larger capacity) and doesn't have this board. I assume this controls either the charging or the power-usage meter and might be internal to the new battery.

In any case, my Treo is on the cradle now, charging past 25%, so I have no info yet on how long the new battery lasts. I'll post this back in a couple of days.

I've never opened the case on my Treo and I was hoping, through this exercise, to get some insight into the buzzing problem. I discovered that the screw behind the antenna was a bit loose and it does look like the security of the antenna connection relies on this screw. I made sure to tighten it and the buzzing has gone away but it has done that in the past too so this isn't a definitive conclusion.

Unless I discover something wrong this is a great way to take care of an aging battery and slightly improve performance.
    Johnwilliams

You managed to change the battery but what difference have you seen with regards to battery charge time, times between charging and the meter reading.?

Is everything working the way it should.?

Is it worth the investment.?
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_One
    Johnwilliams

You managed to change the battery but what difference have you seen with regards to battery charge time, times between charging and the meter reading.?

Is everything working the way it should.?

Is it worth the investment.?
    He answered that in his post...

"In any case, my Treo is on the cradle now, charging past 25%, so I have no info yet on how long the new battery lasts. I'll post this back in a couple of days."
    As I said, the Treo is in the cradle right now, charging. All the software and the phone works as it did before the upgrade. I think the battery needs a few days to to establish any sort of trend.

I'm not really looking for too much increased life (compared to a new battery). From 1800 to 2000 mah is just over 10%. Better battery technology...maybe.

The real exciting part, for me anyway, is that for $50 I'm able to replace an aging battery with a better part. That makes it absolutely worth it to me. YMMV.
    JohnWilliams, thanks for your post! I'm really interested in how your experienced turn out! Tx...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well - how is it working?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
    As I said, the Treo is in the cradle right now, charging. All the software and the phone works as it did before the upgrade. I think the battery needs a few days to to establish any sort of trend.

I'm not really looking for too much increased life (compared to a new battery). From 1800 to 2000 mah is just over 10%. Better battery technology...maybe.

The real exciting part, for me anyway, is that for $50 I'm able to replace an aging battery with a better part. That makes it absolutely worth it to me. YMMV.
    <BUMP>

JohnWilliams, any updates? Tia...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    thanks for the info. should have taken pictures of the job though - a pic of the open trea (in high resolution if possible) and the screw you were mentioning. would have liked to see that stuff.
    He cant post because his halfass battery job caught fire and burned down his house. Treo and PC went too. Next!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    He cant post because his halfass battery job caught fire and burned down his house. Treo and PC went too. Next!
    Woof, what happened ? Why so mean ?
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Woof, what happened ? Why so mean ?
    JOKE!!! I swear no one here gets me.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Hmm... No update form JohnWilliams for a while now?! Too bad cus I'm interested in doing this myself but I'ld like to hear some feedback from others before diving in...

Nice .. I would still be hesitent bout the upgrade because it kills the warranty
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    JOKE!!! I swear no one here gets me.
    some people are just a lil too serious thinking, I get ya man
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast