1.    #1  
    I'm going to be traveling through Western Europe for 2 months this summer and I want to bring my Treo (GSM) with me. What's the best way to get service on it all over W. Europe?

Anyone know of a GSM company that has coverage all over W. Europe with unlimited Net access that will let me join for just 2 months?
    I would say, it's impossible to find a carrier with coverage all over the continent. In your case, i would choose a prepaid phone card in the country, were you'll stay at most during your trip. You'll get roaming nearly everywhere, but with additional charges. So compare carefully prices and surcharges for roaming. For Germany, vodafone or T-Mobile is a good choice, where in UK it's Orange. You should pick up the card in a local store and ask for their prices.
    =====
    ======
    =======

Lt. Worf
    Starfleet HQ FFM
    call +49173-2328589 or
    mailto Lt.Worf@StarTrekFederation.com
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Easiest thing to do is use T-Mobile with GPRS. It would be a little more expensive tha a prepay sim, but I have not heard of prepay GPRS access... is there such a thing?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Yep! Not quite sure about T-Mobile (found nothing about that on their website), but vodafone offers GPRS on their CallYa prepaid phone cards.
    =====
    ======
    =======

Lt. Worf
    Starfleet HQ FFM
    call +49173-2328589 or
    mailto Lt.Worf@StarTrekFederation.com
    I have just come back from two weeks in the Netherlands, Germany, and Italy. T-Mobile is my carrier here in U.S. In all of these it worked like a charm - both phone and Internet via GPRS. Price schedule can be found on T-Mobile site; it is $0.99/minute.

http://www.t-mobile.com/international/coverage.asp

In May I was in Poland near Czech border - again no problem. I could detect networks from both countries. Since I was making mostly local calls, I purchased in there a prepaid SIM from a local company and kept using that - it is cheaper this way. Once you use up the minutes you can reload by buying a scratch-out card and entering the hidden code.
    Did the pre-paid card have an expiration date? I have considered buying a local card but didn't want to have a bunch of unused minutes. If I could use them on the next trip that would be great.

...David
    Yep!. There are different plans, but all had 90 to 180 days to use the minutes. Keep in mind that you are getting a local phone number. They recycle them when not used for some time. By the way, in most European plans you pay for the dialed minutes, but not for received calls. You use it to your advantage by having folks from U.S. calling you on your new phone number, e.g. when my wife called my Polish number from U.S. she was paying $0.18/min. And how do you make folks in U.S. call you? Send them SMS; they cost in Poland about $0.06. The more minutes you buy the cheaper. You can get a starter kit with 20, 50, or 100 minutes. Do not worry you will use them up. You do get a SMS message after each call you dial, about time still left in your account (card).