1.    #1  
    Nextgen highspeed data seems the topic du jour, so I wanted to see if the the community agrees with this thesis:

The version of EDGE that is being rolled out by AT&T/Cingular sucks in terms of data speed compared to EV-DO. Verizon has a significant (6+ months?) lead on Sprint in EV-DO deployment. For the Treo to remain relevant with data users (e.g., the vast majority of TreoCentral) for the next year PalmOne must launch a nextgen EV-DO capable Treo on Verizon by the end of the year.

Unless I'm mistaken, it appears Verizon by years end will have a very significant data advantage over all other current and possible Treo carriers for at least 6 months. So unless EV-DO remains outrageously priced ($80/mos for unlim), will anyone in this community really accept anything other than EV-DO once it's widely available? Pas moi.
    Off to iPhone land...
    I think it is important to note that Sprint has been the carrier who has typically pushed data services. They have done so via technology and pricing. Verizon does have a head start but I don't think it means too much. Sprint is claiming some ev-do coverage by years end and blanket coverage by years end 05. I am confident that sprint is going to hit the ground running and catch vz who in empirically trips over its own feet in both landline and wireless ops.

Of course this is only cheap speculation, but I am happy to be in the spcs camp on this one.

In regards to ev-do v edge. Ev-do certainly specs out faster than edge and will be considered premium in comparison imo. I believe that edge speeds are in the neighborhood of 250 kbps peak, so ev-do speeds of 300 kbps+ are faster. However, I think this battle really lies in the marketing spectrum and not the technological spectrum. The picture phone masses will not be able to decipher any significant differences.
    Evdo is really exciting stuff especially considering a lot of us were under the impression that Sprint was going to skip this protocol entirely.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It's my opinion that Verizon will continue to charge outrageous prices for their EV-DO, at least until someone (like say Sprint) can compete with it with their own version. Thus their headstart will likely be insignificant to majority of people (assuming the majority of the people won't pay $80 a month for data.) I'd still bet on Sprint having the best bang for the buck for data like they do now.
    In the business sector (which is what is really driving the push for wireless) Verizon is a total non-issue when it comes to data services. Too expensive, and their network coverage is too spotty (at least for data).

Sprint's rollout of EV-DO will surely eclipse Verizon's, but personally, I'm not all that thrilled that they're moving to DO. I thought DV would have been a better choice - even if it took them longer to get there...They'd be WAY ahead of the game with DV.
    Sprint claims it will be easy for them to roll out EV-DO. If it is easier than Verizon they will win the battle easy.
    If it's easy enough then it surely makes sense to upgrade to EV-DO instead of EV-DV. I don't follow this side of the industry much, but I do know I'd much rather have the speeds promised by EV-DO in 2005 than wait for 2006 to get EV-DV. If that pushes back EV-DV to 2007, so be it. The speeds promised by EV-DO seem to be enough to do most any cell phone application, I can think of today anyway. The only exception may be video conferencing where I'd want a bigger upload pipe than the 144 Kbps.
    I'm very price sensitive to Internet access on my Treo. Speed doesn't matter that much since I don't yet download huge files, so I'm not too interested in next generation technologies if they cost outrageous prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Unless I'm mistaken, it appears Verizon by years end will have a very significant data advantage over all other current and possible Treo carriers for at least 6 months. So unless EV-DO remains outrageously priced ($80/mos for unlim), will anyone in this community really accept anything other than EV-DO once it's widely available? Pas moi.
    If anything close to a treo is available with ev-do I'll be jumping on it. Even if I have to pay $80/mo.

The faster the internet access, the more frequently and happily I'll be using use it. I really want this badly.

Pete
  9.    #9  
    that's my feeling too, pete. i think the EDGE speeds being quoted in this thread are optimistic. i've been told to expect something more like 120-150 kbps. EV-DO in San Diego/WA DC is coming in consistently at 300 kbps.

i'm also wondering if you could just ditch your DSL and use EV-DO for both your computer and Treo? that obviously could help with cost.

i've been a diehard supporter of GSM and to date have tolerated the underperformance of GPRS to Vision. however, i'm not sure i'll be able to stomach EDGE if EV-DO is in play. i'm salivating at the multimedia possibilites (e.g., streaming shoutcast) that will come with 300 kbps by the end of this year.
    Off to iPhone land...
    My guess is in UK high speed data will be via 3G/WCDMA rather than EDGE