1.    #1  
    Has Anyone had the opportunity to try both the Sprint & Cingular versions of the treo 600. I am presently using the Cingular gsm version and I'm Not happy with the performance at all, the call quality SUCKS. I'm not sure if this due to the newness of GSM in our area but i've also used it in Vegas and wasnt impressed with the performance there either. I am considering Going to sprint and getting a new t600 for thier system. any Comments
    I was happy with the Sprint before the update, now I get Network searches, dropped calls etc.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    sounds to me like both of you are having issues with your Treo, rather than the provider.
    That being said, I've been very happy with Sprint. zero dropped calls, good network and data plan, and decent data speeds.
    I have been using my Cingular Treo for approximately 6-8 weeks now and have not had any dropped calls or any interference at all. The only complaint that I have of Cingular is that not one employee of the store where I bought my Treo knows anything about it. Also, Cingular seems to be a follower in the cellular business. As big as they are, they should be a leader. By the way, I am in Kansas City.
    I have tried both Sprint and Cingular versions of the T600. Pre-T600 I had the Treo 180 on Cingular. I got a hold of a Sprint t600 back in Oct '03 and used it for about two weeks. I was not happy with Sprint's roaming and customer service. The Sprint version is noticeably heavier and - at that time - lacked several critical features (SMS capability, and ability to have data session interupted by phone calls). I have used Cingular's service for several years now in various locations throughout the country (mostly WA and CA state). Their coverage does leave something to be desired, especially when compared to Verizon and Nextel it seems. However, I was much happier with Cingular overall when compared to Sprint (even taking into account Sprint's claim to superior data plans and data speeds).
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I have been fairly happy with my Sprint version, the service area is fair. The only time I have had a dropped call was when I was out at the lake, I was in and out of signal. Everybody I was with had Cingular GSM phones, not Treos, and still had signal. Before when I had Cingular on a GSM phone I would get dropped calls constantly, atleast one a day. Maybe it was my phone, but my mom and her friends calls always drop when the call me, from their Cingular phones. Data speeds are pretty good on Sprint, though you cannot have the voice interupt the data, that would be ideal. For the same service that I have now it would be alot more expensive with Cingular.

Sprint
    500 min 500 min $40 Unlimited Data-$15.00 No Roaming-$5.00 $60.00
    Cingular
    Cingular Nation 450 w/Rollover Minutes 450 min $39.99** Unlimited Data-$39.99 $79.98

If I would have went with Cingular I would have only 5000 N&W minutes, and 50 less anytime minutes for $19.98 more. I would incur roaming if I went off of the Cingular network. Lastly data speeds with Cingular are less than half of Sprint's.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I have both a Handspring-branded Sprint Treo (corporate evaluation) and a PalmOne unlocked GSM Treo on the Cingular network (mine). The GSM model has a significantly brighter screen, while the Sprint model seems to have slightly better call quality. Other than that, there isn't much to differentiate the 2 devices (other than that ugly bump on the Sprint). The real problem where I live (CT) is coverage. Sprint's coverage map follows the cities and major highways, but otherwise is really lacking.
    Talldog
  8.    #8  
    Thanks all for the Input, Guess I will Stick with Cingular. I Have been with them (Cell-one/Cingular) since 1989, and thier coverage across the board has always been great. Guess I just have to wait for them to get more GSM towers My Last phone was a Nokia GAIT phone that had Fantastic service no matter where i went but of course that one used tdma,analog or GSM so I had all the bases covered.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Data speeds are pretty good on Sprint, though you cannot have the voice interupt the data, that would be ideal.
    The GSM version can't do this either.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    My Last phone was a Nokia GAIT phone that had Fantastic service no matter where i went but of course that one used tdma,analog or GSM so I had all the bases covered.
    That's why I ended up going with an unlocked Treo. I have the Sony-Ericsson GAIT phone, and Cingular was giving me all kinds of grief about wanting to buy a Treo and keep the S-E for marginal coverage areas. So I just bought the unlocked model and my GAIT SIM works great in it.
    Talldog
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    That's why I ended up going with an unlocked Treo. I have the Sony-Ericsson GAIT phone, and Cingular was giving me all kinds of grief about wanting to buy a Treo and keep the S-E for marginal coverage areas. So I just bought the unlocked model and my GAIT SIM works great in it.
    wait a minute, just putting in a different SIM won't give you analog/TDMA coverage.... Your phone(treo) would need to have hardware to handle the different signal, correct?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    wait a minute, just putting in a different SIM won't give you analog/TDMA coverage.... Your phone(treo) would need to have hardware to handle the different signal, correct?
    That is correct. That's why I still need the GAIT phone, for when I know I'm going to be in marginal coverage areas.
    Talldog
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Sorry, I just mis-read your post. I thought you were saying that after popping in a GAIT SIM, that all of a sudden you were getting GAIT coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Other than that, there isn't much to differentiate the 2 devices (other than that ugly bump on the Sprint).
    i like the bump. i like the contours it adds to the design and helps me put the speaker in my ear so i can hear better.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loudpocket
    i like the bump. i like the contours it adds to the design and helps me put the speaker in my ear so i can hear better.
    I imagine it does what it was intended to do, I just don't like the way it looks, but to each his own.
    Talldog