Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am sure that I'm not the only techie out there who's debating between waiting for the new CSK II or waiting for the new Treo 610. Sounds like both will be released in Fall this year.

These are the pro's and con's that I have gathered so far about the 2 devices. I know the specs for both devices are still very rumor driven, but I was hoping that people can shine some light on these specs so that I can make a better decision in the end.

New CSK II - Pros / New Treo 610 Cons
    • CSK II: Multithreading - Checking Emails, IM, Web Surfing, etc. all at the same time. (This is a big one for me.)
      CSK II: Awesome Keyboard
      CSK II: Camera Flash ???
      CSK II: Great form factor as a data device only.
      CSK II: Screen is in Landscape format
      CSK II: Thumbwheel (or whatever is gonna be called)

New CSK II - Cons / New Treo 610 Pros
    • CSK II: Phone reception is still not as good?
      CSK II: Still lack of killer apps (i.e. VNC, pTune [streaming audio], etc.)
      CSK II: No Outlook sync
      CSK II: No bluetooth
      CSK II: Only AIM as Instant Messenger (Yahoo is supposed to join later.)
      CSK II: Poor to Fair form factor as a phone
      CSK II: Only 1 carrier: T-Mobile
      CSK II: Poor Web Surfing / Data Speed: 1) GPRS is slower than CDMA 2) Proxy Server hinders web surfing performance.
      CSK II: No javascript?
      CSK II: No Touchscreen

Similar attributes on both
    • Screen Resolution (Treo 610: 320x320)
      Launch dates
      Camera Resolution?

Anyone have anything to add, subtract, or debunk?

For more info about the new CSK II go to http://www.hiptop.com

I am really torn apart. Please help!

Thanks a bunch!
    TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    i was an avid user of a CSK...went on 2 us tours with my band using the csk 95% of the time (the other 5% was using my t68i with bluetooth as a modem for my powerbook) and it was great. then the whole situation came up with mark/space announcing that they were going to release missing sync for hiptop by the end of february. well it's now late june and it's still not out, and only because tmo won't enable it on their servers. that pretty much summed up the CSK experience - what it does natively, it does really really well. but that's about all you're going to get until tmo starts to allow you to add your own apps. and even then, it's only going to be what they make available to you through their catalog. so it'll be much harder to get cool little freeware apps or system tweaks that make your user experience that much better since everything has to be approved and monetized by tmo. it finally pushed me over the edge to the treo 600.

however, if you're fine with what the CSK does out of the box, then its an unbeatable device for data. the phone form factor does leave a bit to be desired, although it's not horrible. and the multi-tasking on CSK is indeed wonderful.
  3.    #3  
    Do you know much about the new CSK II spec (To Be Released in Fall)?

TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    no not really. the forma factor does look to be nicer, as it's a lot thinner and smaller all around. but otherwise i don't know much in terms of advancements in the software. i'm sure it'll be really nice though, the hiptop software is very elegant and well thought-out.
    Interesting article on Sidekick / Hiptop / Palm / etc.: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1608848,00.asp
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Interesting article on Sidekick / Hiptop / Palm / etc.: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1608848,00.asp
    Interesting article, but it is looking at the business perspective. I don't really think the content of the article supports the article title enough. I am still not convinced that "Danger may rule the handheld market." after reading his article. Of course, the title doesn't mention anything about the cell phone part either.
    IMO there is no comparison here. CSK has no touchscreen?!? The Palm OS on the Treo is what makes it so great. There is sooooo much software to choose from and play with. Streaming audio with pTunes, managing time with Datebk5, managing my budget with QuikBudget, edit Word docs with Docs-2-Go, securing my data with PDA Defense and mSafe.... the list goes on and on, and I can do most of it with one hand.

True multithreading would be nice. This issue on the Palm is mostly overcome with a combination of DA's, the pTunes console, and apps like Bob's Popup Launch or ClockPop5. There are a lot of apps that can do things in the background, like the free mail app, Chatter, pTunes, etc. The next version of Palm OS (version 6) will have full multithreading support.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    gizmodo has new pix of it too ...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/tmob...led-016615.php
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    New Color SK should be come in August. My friend told me, I'm not sure.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    There are a lot of apps that can do things in the background, like the free mail app, Chatter, pTunes, etc. The next version of Palm OS (version 6) will have full multithreading support.
    Whoa... Any ETA on the release of Palm OS v6.0? Of course, we'll then have to wait for the apps to be rewritten do multithreading, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Whoa... Any ETA on the release of Palm OS v6.0? Of course, we'll then have to wait for the apps to be rewritten do multithreading, right?

Umm... sorry but how can you post as "techjunkie" on these forums and not know about PalmOS Cobalt (e.g, OS 6)?

Anway, PalmSource already released Cobalt to lisencees the end of last year. New Palm Cobalt powered devices should start appearing later this year, but according to the rumors, the "Treo Ace" will supposedly run Palm OS Garnet (Ver. 5.4)....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc2004
    still looks big.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    still looks big.
    I think Treo's form factor is perfect for a phone. Sidekick a little too big as a phone. I don't like holding that bar of soap when I talk. The new Sidekick is slimmer so we'll see how that works.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Umm... sorry but how can you post as "techjunkie" on these forums and not know about PalmOS Cobalt (e.g, OS 6)?
    Now that I have a one year old, I should consider changing my handle. I don't keep up with technology as much as I used to. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Anway, PalmSource already released Cobalt to lisencees the end of last year. New Palm Cobalt powered devices should start appearing later this year, but according to the rumors, the "Treo Ace" will supposedly run Palm OS Garnet (Ver. 5.4)....
    Sounds like no multithreading in Treo for a while. *another sigh*

TJ
    okay i havent been to treocentral for a little bit, and the last thing i remember was that the 610 was a rumor, has something changed, and are there pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    okay i havent been to treocentral for a little bit, and the last thing i remember was that the 610 was a rumor, has something changed, and are there pics?

still rumor.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    But if we repeat the rumour enough times, its practically a fact , right?
  18.    #18  
    The most reliable source that I have read is from user, "Indicator". Hopefully, he's spreading reliable rumors.
    i have had sidekicks since the day they came out (b&w) and then went to color. i loved the sidekicks, but the thing is, they are just toooooo big. they are way to fat to fit in any pocket with out it looking like your holding a bar of soap.

if you want it for messaging and mail, it is by far the best because thats why its built for

the t600 is good, but the keyboard sucks, and so does the screen (compaired to the sk)
    ahh good so im that much out of the loop

and yesterday brighthand.com came out with their news (with pics of course) of the sidekick 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast