Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    how do I send mail using my comcast account? I set it up as per the instructions and I can recieve email but I can't send email. I even tried setting the smtp to sprintpcs.com with my correct sprint username and password and it still doesn't work. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt2846
    how do I send mail using my comcast account? I set it up as per the instructions and I can recieve email but I can't send email. I even tried setting the smtp to sprintpcs.com with my correct sprint username and password and it still doesn't work. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had the same problem sending with comcast. What I did was set the smtp to Sprint's (smtp.sprintpcs.com) and used the Sprint username and password for it, the MAIL password. Lastly, I checked the "my server requires authentication (ESMTP)" box for the outgoing mail. Works just fine. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by full_flex; 06/22/2004 at 03:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I do not have the "my server..." box. I am using my sprintpcs user name and password and it still does not work. any other deas
    Are you using your "mail" password and not your main Sprint PCS password? Also, what mail program are you trying to setup?
  5. ksp
    You might want to call Sprint and have them reset your 'mail' password, as this is often a different value than your SprintPCS password.

I had the same problems, and had it fixed after calling Sprint to reset my email password.
    Ditto - fought with it for a week until I called Sprint and had them reset my email password, then kept the Vision tech on the phone to make sure my Vision wasn't hosed and that the email worked properly.
    Comcast uses very tight control over SMTP authentication - I think they restrict by IP address; hence the problems.
    Comcast definitely prevents sending SMTP emails out from a non-Comcast IP address - my wife sends hers out fine from her Outlook Express from our Comcast cable modem line, but I could not send SMTP out from my Sprint Treo using the same settings. But using Sprint's SMTP for outbound worked fine.

I was able to get Comcast POP3 inbound email working FINE on my Treo using the Handspring pre-installed email client. So inbound should be no problem; outbound needs to go through Sprint.
    I use Comcast as well and am able to send and receive e-mails on my Treo. I use Snapper, not the built in utility.

I could not send at first until I realized I had to configure my password twice. Both ingoing and outgoing servers require authentication.

I am using T-Mo and not Sprint.
    beowulf777 - could you try to set this up in the built in mail app to see if it works for you (I have comcast & can only receive with the built in)

Thanks - jsg
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    For any other Comcast users who are having problems; a friend of mine turned me on to this post and it worked for me. It was posted by cbtrussell, so he deserves the credit:

After several false starts, I finally got a good Vision tech who was able to sort out my inability to send mail through smtp.sprintpcs.com.

Here's the deal: I'm a long time SprintPCS user. My account predates Vision by several years. Back in the old days, I had one of the original Wireless Web Mail e-mail accounts (the user ID didn't have any numbers appended on the end, if that helps). That account has persisted in some form or fashion until today, and that was causing at least part of my problem.

The Vision tech deleted that old account. Now I have the following passwords attached to my SprintPCS service:

Account Password - used to access SprintPCS.com web site

Vision Username - this is the one that has a number on the end, like 03
    Vision Password - not really used for anything other than handset Vision access

Vision **MAIL** Password - this is the magic bullet. The Vision MAIL password is different from the normal Vision password. You change this under 'Settings & Preferences' in the PCS Mail site. HOWEVER.... IMPORTANT NOTE.... The Vision tech strongly recommended that you call into Vision support to have this password changed. Evidently there can be issues when changing the password via the web site.

OK, so now we know what the different usernames and passwords are.

Setup your mail client (SnapperMail, etc.) as follows:

outgoing smtp server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    smtp username: Vision Username
    smtp password: Vision MAIL Password

Note you do not need to append @sprintpcs.com to your Vision Username.

The first time I tried this, SnapperMail tried to retain my old account settings when sending mail. I deleted all of the accounts I had setup in SnapperMail, started over from scratch, and now can check my ISP's mail server for POP3 mail and send mail through Sprint without issue.

I would recommend that you get your mail client to successfully RECEIVE mail (POP3) from pop.sprintpcs.com BEFORE you start trying to send mail - that way, you can ensure your username and password are correct. Then, once you know your username and password are OK, you can attempt to send mail through Sprint's SMTP server. Finally, once it's all working correctly through Sprint, you can change your incoming servers to those of your regular ISP, but continue to send through Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen
    beowulf777 - could you try to set this up in the built in mail app to see if it works for you (I have comcast & can only receive with the built in)

Thanks - jsg
    I used the built in app with no issues. Once you set the account up, verify your information for the outgoing server is correct (menu-view-edit accounts-highlight your comcast account-edit-advanced).

On the advanced tab check your username and password.

Good luck.
    hmmm... I'm able to send via comcast just fine. I believe they require smtp authentication when you are not going through you cable modem
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt2846
    rjt2846 -

Did you ever fiqure this out? If not, you may want to take a look at this page as it may help?

Good Luck. I guess I just got lucky that mine worked without issue.