1.    #1  
    Yes I realise that this may be an extremely easy question to answer but it would appear that I cannot find a simple answer anywhere.

While you don't have to type s-l-o-w-l-y for me to understand I just need to know the largest SD card that has been SUCCESSFULLY tested, , and was there any "upgrade" that was needed to run this... If, there was an upgrade needed, what is the largest SD card that has been used without an Update??

Also are any brands better than others (more to point.. any brands known to have issues, rather than personal preference)
    1 gig is the largest card available. Nothing extra is required. Just pop it in. You do however need third party software to run application off a SD card, but that's true with any card no matter the size.

All brands work.

There are those who will tell you some brands work better than others, but I've found them to be the same.

I use a 512 MB SanDisk Ulta II with my Treo 600.
    I don't think you need any 3rd party software to run apps on the SD card. You just have to put the executables (and static data) in the /Palm/Launcher/ directory. However, if the apps have a synchronizing conduit they need to be in RAM. Also, you will need a 3rd party launcher to catagorize your apps on the SD card. Otherwise they will all appear in the card catagory in the Palm Launcher.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I'd like to add;
    Which card did not need to filed down to fit? 512mb seems to be the biggest most reasonably priced, so which one fits perfectly into a treo?
    They all pretty much share the same form factor, so you have to file down ALL cards, from 16MB (the 3 year old card I was using when I first got my T600) to the 512s and beyond...
    Ive never had to file a card to fit the Treo. However I found that if you do not have enough space the Treo will not play some large files.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobvark
    I'd like to add;
    Which card did not need to filed down to fit? 512mb seems to be the biggest most reasonably priced, so which one fits perfectly into a treo?

Some of the larger cards are using non standard electron sizes so they may not fit

Just kidding. All SD/MMC cards should fit the standard. Like Igreenberg said the 1gig card is the largest on the market and will work. There is a 4gig card scheduled to hit the market in the future but that is probably way way down the line.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)
    Quote Originally Posted by frydog
    Some of the larger cards are using non standard electron sizes so they may not fit

Just kidding. All SD/MMC cards should fit the standard. Like Igreenberg said the 1gig card is the largest on the market and will work. There is a 4gig card scheduled to hit the market in the future but that is probably way way down the line.

According to Alli in this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&page=2&pp=20
    Here SD card fit very snug. She wrote "Those of you who want a nice tight fit.....get yourself a PNY SD card. It fits so snug you need tweezers to remove it. There is not a chance it will fall out, or catch on anything. It is absolutely level with the top of the Treo."

Anyone else confirm this?

Also in the same thread (page 3) Lighting1 wrote "I have 3 SD cards that I use. Two SanDisk 256MB, one Kingston (512MB). There are differences in the way these cards seat and some stick out farther than the others. The Kingston clearly extends out farther and has caused the annoying auto pop-out when one of the two SanDisks sit almost flush. The other SanDisk extends slightly farther out. This could explain why some do not experience the problem and cannot understand why others are annoyed by it."

So can anyone confirm this and provide a link? I thought all SD cards would be the exact same size.....
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    1 gig is the largest card available. Nothing extra is required. Just pop it in. You do however need third party software to run application off a SD card, but that's true with any card no matter the size.

All brands work.

There are those who will tell you some brands work better than others, but I've found them to be the same.

I use a 512 MB SanDisk Ulta II with my Treo 600.
    Many apps wil run right off the SD card with no third-party app needed. I have a 1gb SanDisk card.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    "Best" is somewhat hard to define, but the largest fastest SD you can actually buy is the Panasonic 1GB card. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that the Panasonic SD cards work in more varied devices than all other brands combined.

You pay though the teeth though

I picked up a Panasonic 1GB SD card last week at Fry's in California, and it cost me just about as much as my Treo600. (The card was $370). For a flush fit, it requires a little "filing" of the top of the card, the same as my Panasonic 256MB SD required, and every other brand SD card requires.

The other 1GB SD card is from Sandisk, but it's NOT a high speed card (i.e., it's not part of the UltraII or Extreme Sandisk line). It's also a LOT cheaper. I seem to recall it was over a hundred dollars less than the Panasonic...

Bill S
    Panasonic cards are more expensive than most, but I believe to be the best!