1.    #1  
    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D83C76CG3.html

Sprint Boosting Speeds on Data Network

Email this Story

Jun 22, 1:58 PM (ET)

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) - Trying to keep pace with its rivals, Sprint Corp. is boosting speeds on its wireless data network by up to tenfold in a technology upgrade it says will cost about $1 billion.

The company said Tuesday it will begin the upgrade to what the industry touts as wireless broadband Internet access in the second half of this year in selected markets it did not identify.

Sprint said it expects the technology, known as EV-DO, to be available in "the majority of top metropolitan markets" in 2005.

Sprint customers who want the higher speeds will need to buy new PC cards for their laptops, or handsets. Existing handsets and cards will continue to work at the slower speeds in areas where the upgrades are made.

EV-DO pushes wireless data transfer from the current 50 to 70 kilobits per second to an average of 300 to 500 kbps, or five to 10 times quicker than dial-up phone access.

Sprint rivals AT&T Wireless and Verizon Communications (VZ) have each announced similar higher-speed services in the last eight months.

AT&T's speedier service is already available, and Verizon's is available in the San Diego and Washington areas with further expansion planned later this year.

"That put the pressure on Sprint to up its speed," said Jeffrey Kagan, an independent analyst who follows the telecommunications industry. "It's the kind of move we expected. After AT&T and Verizon one-upped them, all eyes went to Sprint."

Sprint has about 6.2 million wireless data customers, providing revenue of about $700 million a year.

Shares of Sprint were down 44 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $17.09 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

I heard that Nex Tell is going to hav access of 1500 comming next year : ( sprint should think of going faster cause they will need to upgrade in a couple years again at that speed.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    This won't benifit us with Treos will it? I wonder if the next Treo will be able to take advantage of the faster networks. How long do you think unlimited vision will last after they update the network?
    Think the next Treo (rumored to be released in the next couple of months) will be designed to take advantage of the EV-DO network?
    They better keep it up, unlimited data is the main reason for me going with Sprint (did someone say PDANet?)...
    Will
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D83C76CG3.html

Sprint Boosting Speeds on Data Network

What the heck!? I was under the impression Sprint was going to skip 1xEvDo all-together and instead go straight to 1xEvDv in the upgrade path!! When did they decide to change?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    Think the next Treo (rumored to be released in the next couple of months) will be designed to take advantage of the EV-DO network?

HA!!!! I seriously doubt that....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What the heck!? I was under the impression Sprint was going to skip 1xEvDo all-together and instead go straight to 1xEvDv in the upgrade path!! When did they decide to change?

Well I found the answer to my own question in a thread over at hofo's:

In an ideal world, EV-DV Release C would have been a great choice for Sprint. If I understand correctly, EV-DV RelC is what Sprint has been trialing in Puerto Rico already using Samsung infrastructure.

The problem, according to an industry rumor, is that no major infrastructure vendor except Samsung is willing to develop EV-DV RelC just for Sprint. Supposedly, all the other CDMA-based carriers around the world are either jumping on EV-DO or simply waiting around for EV-DV Release D (which is much further out on the time line). So, Sprint has been alone in asking for EV-DV RelC. The consequence is that Sprint's current infrastructure vendors--Nortel, Lucent, and Motorola--are simply not willing to develop EV-DV RelC for a single customer. Sprint's only way to get EV-DV RelC would be to replace all its current infrastructure with Samsung's equipment, at an absurd cost.

Simply waiting for EV-DV RelD is apparently no longer tenable for Sprint from a marketing point of view. Sprint feels a need to be seen as a technology leader, not a laggard. Besides, EV-DV RelD itself reportedly does not have a firm time line. Infrastructure vendors who are busy implementing and installing EV-DO (for Verizon and others) may not even be willing to commit to a tight, firm timetable for EV-DV RelD.

Sprint apparently is not willing to gamble on Flarion's interesting but unproven technology, especially since Flarion is an interesting but quite unproven infrastructure vendor.
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=391344

Why would you doubt that? I mean, doesn't it make sense for Sprint to push for probably it's most data-centric device to have the fastest data connection? Wouldn't it behoove PalmOne to make it capable of such speeds to sell the most units? It seems like a no-brainer from a business perspective point of view. I think the only question is can they do it and I would think the answer is yes to that depending on if they get the guts of the phone that can work on EV-DO
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Why would you doubt that? I mean, doesn't it make sense for Sprint to push for probably it's most data-centric device to have the fastest data connection? Wouldn't it behoove PalmOne to make it capable of such speeds to sell the most units? It seems like a no-brainer from a business perspective point of view. I think the only question is can they do it and I would think the answer is yes to that depending on if they get the guts of the phone that can work on EV-DO

The question was will "the next Treo (rumored to be released in the next couple of months) will be designed to take advantage of the EV-DO network". In that context, I don't how thsi could be possible since:

-Sprint hasn't even built the infrastructure to support 1xEvDo
    -p1 has probably already chosen the RF module for the next Treo

Thus NO, I highly doubt the next Treo will support 1xEvDo...

Ahh, I read it more as whether there would be a Treo that supports EvDo when it's available, which I realize is different from what the person asked. However, in the spirit of which it was asked, the question in my mind is when EvDo goes live, will a Treo device support it? That I do not doubt.

If we are to take what Palm has said about the Treo being a family of products, it's hard to say what will constitute the next Treo. To some the "next Treo" was the camera-less one. Perhaps there's another next Treo with just Bluetooth added and yet another Treo for hi-res 3 months after that. Nonetheless, I think it's worth saying that it makes sense that the Treo (or similar datacentric device) be there when EvDo is there.

Obviously the Treo wouldn't support EvDo before it was available.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    why is it that if you use the pocket pc for vision it's $15 more a month? Is it becuase it uses data faster? if that's the case, you would think that if they did upgrade the next treo to take advantage of the new speeds then vision is going up. I think it's funny they are going to be hyping that pocket pc phone for sprint that's coming out only not letting everyone know it will cost you an extra $15 a month for vision on top of the $15 you are already paying for vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    why is it that if you use the pocket pc for vision it's $15 more a month? Is it becuase it uses data faster? if that's the case, you would think that if they did upgrade the next treo to take advantage of the new speeds then vision is going up. I think it's funny they are going to be hyping that pocket pc phone for sprint that's coming out only not letting everyone know it will cost you an extra $15 a month for vision on top of the $15 you are already paying for vision.
    That's a M$ specific fee possibly licensing related or some such. It has nothing to do with the speed of the data transfer.
    This is a BIG surprise to anyone who has been following this story...Up until VERY recently, Sprint was firm on "no" to EV-DO and "yes" to EV-DV. Quite frankly, I think going to EV-DO is a grave misstep for them...

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next year or two...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I'd like to comment on this too as I've been eagerly waiting to hear about Sprint and EV-D? - it looks like we have a temporary answer as they have announced EV-DO. Two quick things I'd like to add - 1. Next treo probably won't support this (610 or 666, whichever model number you prefer to think they are going to release under) - no fcc change (so far), and of course I'm pretty sure in order to use EV-DO doesn't PalmOne have to use a new receiver? That's a FCC license and application, no apps are on file - but of course, EV-DO will be coming soon so of course, maybe it'll be applied for in the meantime. No certain roll out date as I read that article.
    #2 - This is the biggie. I'm not one to shout about how great the Treo is - but i'm also not one to complain about how bad it is either. It does things...decent. But think about rumors about a new one coming... Do we really expect PalmOne to release a new treo within 3-6 months of EV-DO being accessible? I don't. I'm going to guess there is going to be about 3-5 phones rolled out in the first year of EV-DO (i'm talking sprint)- maybe 1 PPC that can use it on Sprint's Service. It just seems to me that a company that drags it's feet (still waiting for those wifi drivers) won't be on the ball when EV-DO comes to a major metro near you. It would be nice to hear an announcement that PalmOne is focusing on EV-DO receivers/transmitters in their upcoming line...but.... I can only hold my breath so long. I'm going to guess another 2 Treos before I get 300-500k/sec.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Interesting marketing game by Sprint. I would assume this means that "Vision 2.0" is not going to happen since EV-DO appears to be right around the corner?

Indicator - why is this a big misstep by Sprint?
    A bit of clarification on "Vision 2.0". I think what Sprint is calling Vision 2.0 is actually this - EV-DO. The new compression software (v2.0) that they're rolling out later this year, is just that - new compression for existing Vision services. I was under the impression that we'd all get a speed boost from this, but apparently only applications that support compression will get a boost. I don't know exactly how that applies to typical Treo data traffic, but I do know that any encrypted data will NOT be able to take advantage of this.

As for EV-DO, I think it is a misstep because it is a short-term fix. Sprint is already the fastest in the game. EDGE is falling far short of projected througput in most areas, and most overseas carriers are giving it a miss and heading straight for UMTS (and some are going for WCDMA). That puts a lot of strain on manufacturers to try to support EDGE here in the US as well as these other standards overseas.

Given that Sprint's network is already ahead of the game, and Verizon's DO rollout will be limited for the next year or so, I think Sprint would have been safe to sit back until a viable version of DV came along. DV, in my opinion is the next BIG THING for CDMA carriers. But apparently Sprint is running a bit scared and trying to beat the other carriers to the punch...but I don't think this technology was the right choice...