1.    #1  
    Some people at my company are having problems with their Treo's, especialy with setting the time. When they go to Prefs/date & time when click in 'set time zone' they get the outline of a box and nothing else, when they click in the box, time zones are highlighted but the device hangs. They can set the treo time to 'use local time' but that makes all meetings off by an hour.

We are using Good Info as our email client (www.good.com).

Any ideas much appreciated.

JJJ
    try to do a "battery disconnect reset: then set your location, date and time. and refrain from changing locations in city time, some location cause prob in the prefs. If you use the change location option in city time, then try to edit in prefs, sometimes you would get the blank box that you're referring to. But not on all cities. best way is to revert back to your city, is to restore the correct time/setting in the prefs.
    btw, just curious, what location/date/time settings did you select?
  3.    #3  
    How do you conducte a battery disconnect reset?
    "How do I perform a battery disconnect reset?
    A battery disconnect reset is a last resort step you can take to quickly drain the battery, wipe all data, and regress your Treo 600 to its factory-fresh state.

Very, extremely, profoundly important info: Do not perform a battery disconnect reset unless you have tried every other option available. A factory reset will not only delete all personal data and appliactions from your Treo 600, but it will also reset the wireless radio and disconnect the internal battery. You won't be able to turn your Treo 600 back on until you connect it to the AC charger and an electrical outlet, so do not perform this type of reset if you're far from the power grid.

How to do it

Hold down the K and Backspace keys simultaneously. (Note: for French AZERTY keyboard, press K and M; for other language overlays, please refer to the customer support for your region)

While continuing to hold down K and Backspace, perform a soft reset.

Finding it hard to do? Good. We made this type of reset very awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident when your Treo 600 is jostling around in a pocket or bag. Sorry for the inconvenience. You might want to enlist the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult.

Continue holding down K and Backspace. The screen will flash white briefly, and then go black. Release K and Backspace after this happens.

To revive your Treo 600, connect it to the AC charger and plug the charger into a socket. The screen will stay blank for several seconds (as long as half a minute), then it will turn on. The LED will glow solid red, indicating charging. "
    got this from the knowledge base of palmone
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreak
    try to do a "battery disconnect reset: then set your location, date and time. and refrain from changing locations in city time, some location cause prob in the prefs. If you use the change location option in city time, then try to edit in prefs, sometimes you would get the blank box that you're referring to. But not on all cities. best way is to revert back to your city, is to restore the correct time/setting in the prefs.
    btw, just curious, what location/date/time settings did you select?
    Actually, you need not go to this extreme step. Just a "hard reset" (holding the wireless on/off key at the top while pressing the reset button at the back) will suffice and will allow you to re-setup the Treo including the time zone.

HOWEVER!!!! My question is simple.

Why isn't Palm fixing the darned problem ?!?!?!

I have reported this bug to Handspring almost a year ago.

The error is in the City-Time application as well as the Prefs->Date&Time->TimeZone Set function.

A friend of mine who is a developer at Handspring saw this problem and wrote a fix to the City-Time in about 5 minutes. The Prefs application fix I guess is more complex and may be involving the core OS itself.

If he could provide a fix in 5 minutes all by himself, what is the development team at Palm doing ?!?!?!

I guess as long as most of us are suckers and buying the Treo 600 with these known bugs, why should Palm bother.

I am waiting for Nokia to release their new communicator. After that the Treo will just traipze right out of my life.

Regards
  6.    #6  
    Hard reset doesn't fix the issue.

Unless I can get a hold of the aforementioned fix from Develish, it looks like our Treos are going to be, as my boss said recently, "skipped across the parking lot". Sad, really. Love the thing.

JoeyJoeJoe
    Actually when you do a hard reset, it won't reset the date/time. The Treo still "remembers" your previous date/time setting. Therefore the only way to really reset it would be to do the battery disconnect reset. This bug is a problem with some cities in India and Australia. City time I believe is a basic app created by the same makers of worldmate. So far I would recommend just using worldmate or worldmate pro and skip using city time.
    The Citytime bug is related to cities where the local standard time is not an integer no of hours ahead or behind Greenwich mean time. i.e. I live in Mumbai, India where the local time is 5 Hrs 30 min ahead of Greenwich mean time. Citytime cannot handle this. There is a simpler fix than hard or battery resetting your Treo. There is a free s/w called aDSTKeeper. You should find it some where on treocentral. Install that and use that to set your time zone. Somehow this seems to prevent citytime from corrupting the date/time database whereever that might be.
    Satish Joshi
    Develish

You mentioned
    "A friend of mine who is a developer at Handspring saw this problem and wrote a fix to the City-Time in about 5 minutes. The Prefs application fix I guess is more complex and may be involving the core OS itself."

Could you share this fix please?
    Satish Joshi
    I've just tripped over this, and the hard reset does reset the data and time, and I can correctly set the zone to New Zealand in Prefs. We're +12 or thereabouts.
    However, after HotSyncing my timezone chages by 2 hours to somewhere in Australia ( but the time stays the same ) and then I get the bug in Prefs with the broken list box.
    There must be some database I can remove from the HotSync to stop this !
    Len.
    Here's how to recover from this problem.

(1) HotSync
    (2) Delete Saved_Preferences.prc from the PC side on The Handspring\*\Backup directory.
    (2) Hard reset
    (4) Hotsync

The corrupted data is not restored. You'll lose a few preferences that will have to manually reset, but nothing significant.

(5) Don't change homecity to one of the 1/2 hour timezones (like India)

I can't believe Handspring hasn't acknowleged the problem and offered a patch...
    I experienced this problem when I travelled to Mumbia (Bombia) and I tried to change the time to the new 'local' time using the City Time application first - there seems to be some inconsistency with Prefs.

I turned off the wireless mode and did a reset using the stylus. Then I went to the Welcome application and reset the time to a California time. Everything seemed fine - Including the City Time application.

Then using the Prefs application I changed the time to Mumbia and this time the City Time application seemed to be ok.

From then on I have changed the time using Prefs application first - I have been to many differrent time zones and I have not had the problem again.

Not sure when I will have use Mumbia time again, but it seems to be a basic problem that Palm should correct.