1.    #1  
    I've been trying to get Win-Hand Free to work to connect from my treo to my home computer. I've got DynDNS setup, and port 51111 forwarded, but can't seem to be able to get the connection. It will try to log on, then say that the server (i.e. my home computer) has closed the connection.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

And separately, are there any other Remote connection type software anyone would recommend? I don't need VPN capabilities, just Remote connection via Windows XP's remote connection. I've tried Mobile TS and it screws up all the windows on my desktop...

Thanks!
    Do you have a firewall?
  3.    #3  
    Zone Alarm, but I've set it to allow Win-Hand to be both client and server.

Also rerouted port 51111 to computer's local IP.
    Coupla things to try. First I remember that tweaking with the "async" or "burst" mode caused closing connections. I have mine set to "async" at 99%. Works for my configuration. I'm guessing that this isn't your problem though. I think these settings allow a connection but quickly disconnect if the settings aren't right.

Another thing you might want to look at is for the longest time I couldn't get win-hand to connect to its server UNLESS I specified the port number under "Connection Type" on the SERVER, ex: 5111, and on the palm I specified the dyndns address to be username.dyndns.orgortnumber, or ex: username.dyndns.org:5111. Port numbers had to match. Worth a try, lemme know if any of this works for you.
    -- berto
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions. Tried both, but unfortunately they didn't work. Do I need to set up a separate dyndns for the palm as well?
    " Do I need to set up a separate dyndns for the palm as well?"

no, you shouldn't have to have a dyndns for the palm with a direct connection like you are trying. that's only needed in the "firewall mode" or whatever they call it on the corporate version. I never could get that mode to work and the author claims it's slower than a direct connection anyhow. interesting concept though if you read about it on win-hand's homepage. I got as far as win-hand actually resolving the palm's dyndns to get an ip address but the server just sits and never attempts to connect to the palm.

don't know what else to tell ya. maybe try different settings / percentages with the burst / async modes (use lower percentages until you can hold a connection.) also, are you SURE your ports match?? I can't remember if win-hand's default port is 5111 or 51111 like you wrote, but I guess whatever it is it should match between the server & the palm client.

sorry I can't be of more specific help, but I'm outta town till next friday. I'll double check my settings when I get home but I imagine you'll figure it out or find another solution by then.
    -- berto
    Quote Originally Posted by williamc69
    I've been trying to get Win-Hand Free to work to connect from my treo to my home computer. I've got DynDNS setup, and port 51111 forwarded, but can't seem to be able to get the connection. It will try to log on, then say that the server (i.e. my home computer) has closed the connection.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

And separately, are there any other Remote connection type software anyone would recommend? I don't need VPN capabilities, just Remote connection via Windows XP's remote connection. I've tried Mobile TS and it screws up all the windows on my desktop...

Thanks!
    On my system I am running PalmVNC 1.4 on my Treo and WinVNC Version 3.3.3 R7 with Server Side Scaling Extensions 1.7.0 (www.harakan.btinternet.co.uk/PalmVNC). This version of the VNC server supports scaling the remote computer views on the treo screen. Very helpfull feature.

I am running a Linksys firewall. On the firewall I needed to forward ports 5800 and 5900 for both TCP and UDP to get everything to work.

Hope this helps....
  8.    #8  
    Thanks. I got it to work with UltraVNC. Do you have any preferences between the VNC servers?