1.    #1  
    Is there any software out there that simply convert mp3 to regular T600 ringtones? I don't want to use Lightwav or Callfilter. Just plain ringtones added to my phone's ringtone list.
    Check out dbpoweramp. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

There is a link for free download.
  3.    #3  
    Which codec should I use? There is no such Treo ringtone codec or midi codec. Thanks for your help!
    It can't be done easily, and I wouldn't recommend trying to go from mp3 to midi.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Just as an FYI, this is not an easy process-- a MIDI file is basically sheet music: use this "instrument" to play these notes at this time, whereas everything (MP3, WAV, etc)else is really a recording: at this time, make the speaker vibrate like this. To create the MIDI file from an MP3 file, you essentially have to figure out what notes are being played in the MP3, make a guess at an instrument to play them back, then write the sheet music. If you were trying to convert spoken text or sound effects to a MIDI file, it's just not going to work-- it would be the same thing as trying to play a sound effect on a piano, or playing a speech on a guitar.

I'm curious to hear what the programs on the two links can do, but I'm going to be really surprised if it sounds good
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo
    Just as an FYI, this is not an easy process-- a MIDI file is basically sheet music: use this "instrument" to play these notes at this time, whereas everything (MP3, WAV, etc)else is really a recording: at this time, make the speaker vibrate like this. To create the MIDI file from an MP3 file, you essentially have to figure out what notes are being played in the MP3, make a guess at an instrument to play them back, then write the sheet music. If you were trying to convert spoken text or sound effects to a MIDI file, it's just not going to work-- it would be the same thing as trying to play a sound effect on a piano, or playing a speech on a guitar.

I'm curious to hear what the programs on the two links can do, but I'm going to be really surprised if it sounds good
    Excellent explanation, and the exact reason for my answer. I'm also curious to know what the resulting midi file sounds like from the linked programs.
  8.    #8  
    You guys are right! The resulting midi file is like play the whole song with only one instrument. There's no way you can compare that with playing mp3. I think I have to choose either Lightwav or Callfilter. Any other choice besides these two?
    CallShield and Phone Technician are other options for mp3 ringtone support.
    i use Adobe Audtion to splice and reformat my audio files to ringtones...i got it from bittorent
    How do you do this in Audition? Can you export as a ringtone?

James
    you open the ringtone in audition...then file...convert batch...and then follow the instructions...pick the file...say what you want it to be, and what to call it

i have it as 96kbps and 44Hz and Stereo

works perfectly fine
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    What format are you saving them as? I don't see midi as an option in Audition.

FYIW, I spent some time messing with all three options, and here's my results:

http://www.mp3towav.org/TS-AudioToMIDI/ -- eh. Trying to convert an AC/DC file, which I thought would be relatively straightforward (about 5 seconds of drums, then nothing but a single electric guitar) sounded like hell. Maybe if I read every line of the instruction manual, I could figure out a way to make it work, but all my experiments sounded awful, nothing that I would ever want anyone to actually hear coming out of my phone.

I also tried converting the opening theme from Star Wars-- I thought that this would actually be worse, but somehow, it sounded better, despite being a way more complex sound. Still was pretty crummy, but at least when the main theme kicked in, you knew what it was that you were listening to.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/- They have a conversion program, but it didn't seem to output in Midi, and the normal playback program also lacked the ability to save in Midi. If someone can show me how to do this for real, I'll try it again.

Adobe Audition- Same thing, couldn't find an option to export as Midi. I think hofo_mofo might have been using it to make MP3 ringtones, not Midi ringtones.

I was going to put up my source files and resulting converted files so that people could hear the differences, but since two of the three programs didn't work, and the third program didn't let me save the output, I don't see the point
    Hofo must be using CallFilter or one of the other apps that let you use MP3's as ringtones.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad tidings, but there is NO software that will convert an MP3 to a MIDI file accurately. Think of it this way (and it would actually be more difficult than this for a variety of reasons): It would be like trying to convert a recorded TV program (on either DVD, VHS or whatever) back into the original screenplay or script. Sure, you could probably get a speech-to-text application, but you wouldn't - in any way - get close to reproducing the real thing.

Not to be a naysayer, folks, but give up (for now). You won't find an app that can do it well. Either use MP3s as ringtones with an app like CallFilter, or find an original MIDI file of the MP3.
    yeah im just using the standard combo of lightwave and pockettunes