1.    #1  
    Love my Treo600, but am seriously disappointed in the music playback. I've tried a couple of different headphones, both of which distort with at the first sign of bass. From reading different threads, it sounds like the Treo600 music amplifier isn't very powerful. In that case, it's best to use some very efficient headphones/earbuds. Any suggestions? Do the OEM earbuds have this problem?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by FatCats; 06/29/2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: The problem doesn't appear to be headphone related.
    My favorites are the Koss PortaPro, very clean, rich and full, totally comfortable, and as snug as you want them to be. IMHO, these headphones live up to their universally good reviews. They're reasonably priced as well.

I also like the Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones. Which are tiny earbuds, so small that I can always keep them in my pocket. (And I do, in a tiny baggie)

I also recently bought the Sure 3c earbuds and, despite the many glowing reviews and fairly high price, found them to be very tinny: Lacking in base and body. (At least with the Treo.)

Pete
    Sony headphones are awesome on the Tungsten T, which had an equally weak amplifier, I have still yet to receive my Treo 600 so can't say anything yet but here are some good ones.

Sony Studio monitors, closed ear headphones. The cords are excessively long but the closed air nature of the headphones shuts out most ambient sounds without any noise cancellation electronics. It may look too gangstafor some of you though. (I like em =D)

Sony noise cancelling street styles, at $70, they're an excellent deal, look great (without looking gangsta), and will supposedly cancel 70% of ambient sounds.

Sony w.ear series and street style (MDR-G74SL), all starting from $20 to $40, awesome overall sound quality, and seems to produce a higher volume, combined with advanced engineering that makes sure most of the sound waves are directed into the ears rather than out into ambient air. Ambient air can still get in, but these series are great for a budget.

I know someone else also praised Sony headphones for sounding excellent despite low amplification from the Tungsten T. The Sony Store people had street style and w.ear series available for demo, and my classmate has the studio monitor headphones, they both sound excellent. The noise cancelling ones might be a good one too look at too, the most expensive option but should be good.
    sony nudes.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  6.    #6  
    Back again. I bought the Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones, but they didn't fix the problem. Nasty distortion at first hint of bass--even at low volumes. I'm new to the world of MP3s, so wonder if I might be doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCats
    Back again. I bought the Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones, but they didn't fix the problem. Nasty distortion at first hint of bass--even at low volumes. I'm new to the world of MP3s, so wonder if I might be doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I'd be interested in the answer too... I have the same issue with Bass and do not want to go through 20 sets to find the right pair... I assume with a weak amp you need extremely sensitive headphones with very light weight drivers....
  8.    #8  
    Glad to know it's not just me. The headphones I bought, on Pete L P's recommendation above, are inner-ear type--very light weight, very sensitive. It's something else...but what?