Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I just got a 600 and, although I have been with T-Mobile for over two years, they refuse to insure the phone. I had them connect me to Assurion (their insurance provider). Assurion confirmed the same thing - no insurance because my account with T-mobile is over 7 days old. Does anyone have an idea where I can get insurance? Thanks...
    Do you have homeowners or renter's insurance - you could cover the Treo under that policy...
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Why is it so hard to do this? I just bought a new unlocked 600 online, and the PalmOne store won't even sell an extended warranty/screen replacement plan for it. After paying a hefty premium for an unsubsidized device, it doesn't seem right that PalmOne tells me I can't get an extended warranty because I didn't go through a carrier.
    Talldog
    You could try your insurance company, homowners, renters, and some car insurance companies are willing to insure your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Why is it so hard to do this? I just bought a new unlocked 600 online, and the PalmOne store won't even sell an extended warranty/screen replacement plan for it. After paying a hefty premium for an unsubsidized device, it doesn't seem right that PalmOne tells me I can't get an extended warranty because I didn't go through a carrier.
    This seems pretty simple, to me. If you didn't buy it from PalmOne, or an authorized PalmOne distributor (i.e. a wireless provider) you're not getting the warranty. An unlocked device isn't available through what most would consider "legal" channels at this point, so PalmOne certainly isn't going to back it up with a warranty.

It's kind of like buying a "new" car that was stolen off of a lot and asking the manufacturer to honor the warranty...
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    This seems pretty simple, to me. If you didn't buy it from PalmOne, or an authorized PalmOne distributor (i.e. a wireless provider) you're not getting the warranty. An unlocked device isn't available through what most would consider "legal" channels at this point, so PalmOne certainly isn't going to back it up with a warranty.

It's kind of like buying a "new" car that was stolen off of a lot and asking the manufacturer to honor the warranty...
    What, exactly, do you mean when you say that an unlocked device isn't available through "legal" channels? You can buy an unlocked/unsubsidized Treo 600 directly from PalmOne, as well as from several mainstream online vendors such as Dream Pages, CDW, mwave, and eCost. In fact, you pay a higher price (PalmOne charges $700 if you buy it from them), precisely because it isn't being subsidized by a carrier.
    Talldog
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I agree. We aren't looking for a warranty. We need loss/damage insurance and are willing to pay for it like anyone else. I bought my phone from MWave - unlocked. Nothing illegal in that. They had over 500 in stock. I am assuming they bought in bulk from Palm to get a bulk price and are reselling at a profit - standard distribution business practiced all over the world. I am guessing that the carriers subsidize the insurance in some way and amortize the cost in the cost of their services to consumers. My 1 year "contract" with T- Mobile expired over a year ago, but I have not switched. I travel internationally and have spent thousands of $'s with T-Mobile. One would think they would be interested in keeping that kind of customer.
  8. KBS
    That is interesting. I have insurance through T-Mobile. I got it added about 6 months after purchasing the Treo. When I signed up for the insurance, I asked if they were sure that the Treo was covered. The T-Mobile rep asked the insurance rep that specific question and it was answered in the affirmative. Asurion is the provider of the insurance and I read the policy in its entirety and NO WHERE is the Treo excluded. The definition of a covered device is "one wireless phone or device, so long as it is utilizing the SIM card associated with your T-Mobile account at the moment of loss, theft or damage." I would try calling again.

One more comment. I purchased a Cingular branded phone through Handspring, not through T-Mobile. I inserted my T-Mobile SIM in the phone. That didn't seem to matter when I enrolled in the insurance plan.
    i dunno.. i called up tmobile 2 weeks after i got my t600 and they glady accepted it for insurance. the asurian rep told me "wow 600! good thing your getting insurance". and the $4.00 charge comes in my bill..so i guess im covered.
    is Asurian the same as Lockton is with Sprint?
    I just bought Treo 600, and my provider is AT&T. I am realizing NOW that AT&T does not offer insurance. Does anyone have any information regarding 3rd. party insurance companies.
    Thanks
    the reason it's hard to get insurance is that the Treo 600 fails so much, and companie know this. They do not want to assume the risk.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I hadn't checked this thread in a long time, but noticed some recent replies. I ended up adding the 600 to my homeowner's insurance with loss/damage replacement for any reason.

The problem with service providers today is that their business environment changes so rapidly that they keep changing their policies. When this happens not everyone in the operator's (or subcontractor's) organization gets the word on the policy changes at the same time. So one customer calls and gets one answer and another calls (talking to someone else in the organization) and gets another answer. Frustrating.
    Yes, while Cingular and other companies charge $6-8 a month for insurance, most homeowner carriers charge a scheduled endorsement fee of $4-8 a year. Check it out.
    DHart - Did you get a separate rider on your household insurance for the Treo? What's the deductible?

Tx, Windy
    I have a "personal items policy" with State Farm for Jewelery, my GPD, my phone, my IPOD, etc. There is no deductible and the charge is VERY nominal. I think I have +/- 15k of coverage for $70/yr. Something like that. The policy tags along with my homeowners insurance.
    If you bought with a credit card - check your card for
    extension of warranty. Many cards double the original
    warranty.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
    I was at the AT&T store the other day to redo some things on my account and while there decided to ask about insurance for my Treo 600. The rep was very happy to add insurance to my account for my Treo 600. I'll see if I'm getting billed for it on my next invoice.

I'm also going to check my homeowner's insurance too. $5 - $10 a year would be better than $4 a month.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by davenet
    I was at the AT&T store the other day to redo some things on my account and while there decided to ask about insurance for my Treo 600. The rep was very happy to add insurance to my account for my Treo 600. I'll see if I'm getting billed for it on my next invoice.

I'm also going to check my homeowner's insurance too. $5 - $10 a year would be better than $4 a month.

David
    Perhaps, Davenet. But, if you consider that many home liability carriers now have the nasty habit of either jacking up your premiums or cancelling you altogether if you file more than one claim within a certain unspecified period, you may actually be better off with 3rd party insurance. My insurance aganet told me that he was forced by State Farm to drop a policy holder of 10 year's time for filing 2 auto and 1 homeowners claims within a 2 year period. Seem like insurers have policyholders by the short hairs.
    I called AT&T today 1 month after getting my phone for another reason related to my acct and double checked on the insurance I thought I had on my phone. When I bought the phone through them they told me it was added. Today when I checked .......No insurance! They forgot to contact me to say they made a mistake and I never had it! I know I can get it from my boat owners live aboard insurance but I want a seperate one for good reason. Claims against my insurance make the whole policy go up. Does anyone know of a insurance company just for gadgets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast