1.    #1  
    I sent this email to SanDisk:

No doubt this is the 1000th time someone has asked, but what are the chances of a Palm (specifically treo 600) version of the SanDisk 256 megabyte (MB) + Wi-FiŽ SD Combination card anytime this decade? Thanks!

The Reply:

Well congratulations, you are 1001! ;-) There are some specific hardware problems relating to power specifications with the Treo 600 that prevent the use of this new combination card. I also have the Treo and feel your pain.

Mike

read my post from last week

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52556

also Brighthand's review:

"...Before I get to the meat of this review, I want to point out that SanDisk hasn't been the only company to blame for its long delay. PalmSource didn't write an operating system that it is terribly easy to add Wi-Fi to. The reason this device doesn't support the Tungsten T3 and Zire 72 is these models need to have a system patch applied before their SD slots can use this card. According to SanDisk, palmOne won't publicly release this. Instead, the patch will be built into the driver that palmOne will release with its Wi-Fi SD card, which is expected to be available soon. This patch isn't something SanDisk can develop itself, which means that the only option for Wi-Fi SD cards for the Zire 72 and Tungsten T3 is the one palmOne itself will sell. ..."

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sa...Zire_71_Review

I interpret these citations as telling me that both P1 and Psource do not care to support 3rd party creation of WiFi for their products.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I interpret as P1 and Psource being greedy b*&tards and now with Handspring and Sony gone, we are left with one choice for Palm OS devices, and I think this will SADLY be my last palm based device (I started with the original Palm Personal), their money grabbing antics have pissed me off too much of late and it would be rather hypocritical of me to stay with them.... Now someone has to release a good quality Linux based smartphone, like the motorola A760 but more of a pda (thumbboard for one)...

/vent
    I guess I just don't understand all the comments about Palm (and others) being greedy. Why is it that their business plan makes them greedy b**tards? What makes you think that they should do things that help the competition? Their first obligation is to their shareholders and if they believe this approach will make more money then they are doing the right thing. It may turn out to be a bad move if it kills the Palm market but they are simply executing a business plan.

I wish that they would help others develop new products that would increase the Palm market because more competition drives down prices and a bigger market drives up innovation. I just don't think they're any greedier than anyone else.

...David
    I think everyone is off-base about Palm being greedy. First we have to remember that PalmOne and PalmSource are different companies now. PalmSource could easily write the driver software if it's possible to do so and they would do it for 3rd parties. This is why they've separated themselves. PalmSource has no reason to hold back drivers so that PalmOne can sell their own wi-fi. I don't think that PalmOne even makes their own wi-fi, they probably just re-brand someone elses. If that's the case, then the only way PalmOne would make money on that product is by writing the drivers and licensing. Since PalmOne doesn't write drivers they'd just make money from licensing the name and saying it's compatible.
    I have to offer just a quick reply to this --- the logic of the last couple of posts supports the worst case scenario of the outcome from the P1/Psource "split".

basically its everyone saying: "its not my yob" (to create drivers that another company can profit from.)

the result of what you're describing is the death spiral of the Palm OS -- where there is no longer a central entity with the resources and commitment to the larger interests of the Palm ecosystem to make these kind of "altruistic" investments that are ultimately freely shared .

sadly, if 3rd party developers aren't encouraged and supported by some central diety they will inevitably abandon this OS and migrate toward Miscro$oft's instead.
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/23/2004 at 02:04 AM.
    I don't think they're greedy... probably more like clueless or incompetant...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I have to offer just a quick reply to this --- the logic of of the last couple of posts supports the worst case scenario of the outcome from the P1/Psource "split".

basically its everyone saying: "its not my yob" (to create drivers that another company can profit from.)

the result of what you're describing is the death spiral of the Palm OS -- where there is no longer a central entity with the resources and commitment to the larger interests of the Palm ecosystem to make these kind of "altruistic" investments that are ultimately freely shared .

sadly, if 3rd party developers aren't encouraged and supported by some central diety they will inevitably abandon this OS and migrate toward Miscro$oft's instead.
    You make my point exactly. The 3rd party developers will go where the money is. It sounds like you think Palm owes us something more what they originally agreed to provide to us.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I agree with what Palm is doing. I'm saying that I disagree with the premise that they are greedy thereby deserving our wrath and ugly comments. They along with every other business (large or small) are inherently greedy. It's called capitalism. Any business that isn't inherently greedy is called a charity.

...David
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    You make my point exactly. The 3rd party developers will go where the money is. It sounds like you think Palm owes us something more what they originally agreed to provide to us.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I agree with what Palm is doing. I'm saying that I disagree with the premise that they are greedy thereby deserving our wrath and ugly comments. They along with every other business (large or small) are inherently greedy. It's called capitalism. Any business that isn't inherently greedy is called a charity.

...David

Perhaps they aren't motivated by greed -- nonetheless it is clear that their actions are both short sighted and self destructive. And though I have linked and quoted from others who think P1/Psource is greedy, I have not myself ascribed a specific motive for their stupidity.

Psource is under terrible financial pressure -- and Sony's departure from the market has hurt them BIG.

They have severely slashed their personel -- so perhaps they are now too short staffed to effectively write new drivers. Maybe they are under such money stress that they feel that they must squeeze every possible cent from any developer who wants access to the code base etc.

In any event, the ecosystem of an OS depends on a fertile and level field on which many flowers can attempt to grow. At root, my core complaint is that this field has plainly begun to show signs of unhealthiness.

Shrewdly, what M$ has always done in its early OS creation is spend a lot of energy on the software tools and driver development etc. to attract the 3rd party creators.

Palm HAD been known for this in the past.

Maybe existing users of the Treo may not be upset enough about the lack of BT and WiFi drivers etc to switch to an M$ device. But the Palm OS may not fare as well among new purchasers, and the base will eventually become increasingly small -- further reinforcing the inclination of developers to ignore Palm products.

Barye

(Does anyone here remember or know about the Amiga computer ?)
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I don't think they're greedy... probably more like clueless or incompetant...
    Sorry I withdraw my greedy statements, maybe you guys are right and they are simply incompetant! LOL

It just seems like they won't release drivers for current models, as it forces you to upgarde in 6-9 months! Why release drivers (wifi) for the Tungsten E as it will stop people buying the zire 72 etc!

This may seem like a good business strategy until they realise that there other other options, and pissed off customers will eventually leave, and many people don't return!

RE switching, well work is trying to snag a stack of I-Mate 2 Pdas, they are a bit big, but inbuilt BT, WiFi support, great camera, fast unit... If I get one I fear my Palm days are over (I just bought the Treo a few months ago, so not going to buy something else, but hey if work give it to me, I will happily take it and sell the Treo 600 and my Tungsten E, and I fear that will be the end of my association with Palm, the Treo 600 is the Eighth Palm I have owned
    Last edited by joele; 06/22/2004 at 11:53 PM.