1.    #1  
    I am not yet a Treo 600 user, because I am waiting for the Treo 610. When the Treo 610 comes out, my dilemma will be the following...

If I Stay with T-Mobile...

Pros
    1) T-Mobile (GSM/GPRS) allows calls to get through while on Data. Sprint (CDMA) forwards it to voicemail.
    2) Most of my friends and family are on T-Mobile so we can talk free with unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile minutes.
    3) T-Mobile has a 1-year contract. Sprint usually has a 2-year contract.

Cons
    1) Since I am a current T-Mobile customer, I won't be able to upgrade and get the spectacular price for new activiation and keep the same phone number. If I go to Sprint, I will get both benefits.
    2) Sprint has faster data speed
    3) Sprint will carry the Treo 610 first.

I am a very heavy data user based on my last phone with Instant Messenger, Email, Web, and probably VNC with Treo 610. I want to be connected whenever my phone is on. However, I do get important phone calls whenever I do get calls at all.

What would you do if you were me? I can't imagine that I am the only one battling this scenario. Heavy data users, please share your advice!

Thanks in advance,
    TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Well, your first pro is widely regarded as a bit of a myth, as the GPRS Treo 600 doesn't allow the call to break through active data usage. If you're downloading a large email attachment, for instance, a call will go to voice mail on either CDMA or GPRS. Difference is that the Sprint treo has a tendency to stay active for about 10 seconds after the last bit of data it transfers, which means it will block calls longer. So, if you're downloading a bunch of email headers, the CDMA version will probably treat it as one long downloading session, while GPRS will allow a little bit of space in between each header, so it could allow a call to sneak in.

I tried both tmo and sprint, and ended up switching from from tmo to sprint. (i actually am a former sidekick user). for some reason the tmo data was terribly slow here in southern california, to the point of being unusable. i've seen lots of complaints of this region having slow tmo data speeds. where you are it may be fine.

how do you like the symbian series 60 stuff? i've been toying with switching back to tmo and a nokia 6600 cause tmo coverage is better at my new apartment.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by loudpocket
    Well, your first pro is widely regarded as a bit of a myth, as the GPRS Treo 600 doesn't allow the call to break through active data usage. If you're downloading a large email attachment, for instance, a call will go to voice mail on either CDMA or GPRS. Difference is that the Sprint treo has a tendency to stay active for about 10 seconds after the last bit of data it transfers, which means it will block calls longer. So, if you're downloading a bunch of email headers, the CDMA version will probably treat it as one long downloading session, while GPRS will allow a little bit of space in between each header, so it could allow a call to sneak in.
    If I stay connected on IM without chatting with anyone, do calls usually sneak through in the Sprint network? I am planning to be always on IM. I don't usually get emails with attachments, so that scernario shouldn't be a problem.

I tried both tmo and sprint, and ended up switching from from tmo to sprint. (i actually am a former sidekick user). for some reason the tmo data was terribly slow here in southern california, to the point of being unusable. i've seen lots of complaints of this region having slow tmo data speeds. where you are it may be fine.
    I'm in San Diego, and T-Mobile has a little bit better coverage than Sprint. That's another reason why I was debating on staying with T-Mobile.

how do you like the symbian series 60 stuff? i've been toying with switching back to tmo and a nokia 6600 cause tmo coverage is better at my new apartment.
    I don't do any data on the Nokia 3650 because it doesn't have a damn keyboard. I was hoping to Laptop -> [bluetooth] -> Nokia 3650 to access the internet, but the speed was too slow. I ditched data altogether. My phone crashes about once a day. When I turn it on in the morning, I have to do it twice. This phone is definitely not as stable.

Thanks for the feedback!
    TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    What would you do if you were me? I can't imagine that I am the only one battling this scenario. Heavy data users, please share your advice!

Thanks in advance,
    TJ
    Well, it depends on how important your calls are. I don't have a landline, so my T-600 is the only way people can get in touch with me. However, that doesn't preclude me from using data on a regular basis. I am always streaming music with Pocket Tunes. I just check for voice mail every hour or so. If I had a job in which someone's life would be in danger if I didn't answer the phone right away, then I would not be doing all the streaming, checking e-mail, etc.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Well, it depends on how important your calls are. I don't have a landline, so my T-600 is the only way people can get in touch with me. However, that doesn't preclude me from using data on a regular basis. I am always streaming music with Pocket Tunes. I just check for voice mail every hour or so. If I had a job in which someone's life would be in danger if I didn't answer the phone right away, then I would not be doing all the streaming, checking e-mail, etc.
    Man, I forgot all about streaming music. That sounds like something I would do as well. Sprint just got another gold star.

BTW, do you get a voicemail icon right away when you have voicemail even when you stream music? Or do you have to manually check your voicemail?
    If I stay connected on IM without chatting with anyone, do calls usually sneak through in the Sprint network? I am planning to be always on IM. I don't usually get emails with attachments, so that scernario shouldn't be a problem.
    yeah, it'll be fine. i had been using the new verichat, and even though it offered an always on connection using the vision data, i just opted for the sms option since i pay the $5 a month for unlimited sms. sms come in anytime and can even be used to chat while you're on a call with the headset. works well. the thing with the sprint treo is that the arrows indicating your data connection go from grey to green. grey means you're connected to the vision network but not actively transferring anything. calls will come through when the arrows are grey. when they're green it means it's actively connected to the network and transferring and this is when calls will get bounced to voice mail. like i said, though, for some reason it stays green for about 10 seconds after it finishes transferring something, which means it's still blocking calls. it's kind of annoying, but not a huge deal. gprs doesn't have this behavior. once it's done transferring it's open to voice again immediately. however gprs arrows are always green so you can't tell as easily when it's actively transferring or not.

I'm in San Diego, and T-Mobile has a little bit better coverage than Sprint. That's another reason why I was debating on staying with T-Mobile.
    yeah...like i said though, for some reason gprs is pretty slow in the socal area for some reason in my experience. maybe things are different in san diego.

I don't do any data on the Nokia 3650 because it doesn't have a damn keyboard. I was hoping to Laptop -> [bluetooth] -> Nokia 3650 to access the internet, but the speed was too slow. I ditched data altogether. My phone crashes about once a day. When I turn it on in the morning, I have to do it twice. This phone is definitely not as stable.
    ok, yeah the keyboard does make a world of difference. and i didn't know the series 60 phones were that unstable...
    Man, I forgot all about streaming music. That sounds like something I would do as well. Sprint just got another gold star.
    i think you can stream music on tmo as well, but i don't think you can get as high a bitrate or something. or it may stutter more from the buffer. i haven't ponied up for the deluxe ptunes so someone else will know about this a lot better.
    BTW, do you get a voicemail icon right away when you have voicemail even when you stream music? Or do you have to manually check your voicemail?
    the vm notifications come through pretty quickly...i believe the vm notification come through data useage as well, like sms.
  8.    #8  
    yeah, it'll be fine. i had been using the new verichat, and even though it offered an always on connection using the vision data, i just opted for the sms option since i pay the $5 a month for unlimited sms. sms come in anytime and can even be used to chat while you're on a call with the headset. works well.
    Great info! I think you've just pushed me into the Sprint network now.

Why do you opt to do SMS option instead? Is it because you can receive calls? Forwarding IM's to SMS sounds slow to me, or is that a myth as well?

Many thanks!
    Just fyi. When I upgraded to the 600 TMO gave me a "special" rebate of about $110 towards my phone so that I didn't go to Sprint. I had to talk to a "special" customer service person to make it happen but they did something for me at least. I think they were able to offer me the equivalent of one months phone bill. I am in NYC and Sprint bites here. Service was so erratic I couldn't deal. And with 5$ t-zones for unlimited internet access...not much of choice for me. I don't stream - don't have deluxe ptunes - so can't help you there.
    The voicemail icon will show up. I would not say "right away" every time, but it does show up.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphra Behn
    Just fyi. When I upgraded to the 600 TMO gave me a "special" rebate of about $110 towards my phone so that I didn't go to Sprint. I had to talk to a "special" customer service person to make it happen but they did something for me at least. I think they were able to offer me the equivalent of one months phone bill. I am in NYC and Sprint bites here. Service was so erratic I couldn't deal. And with 5$ t-zones for unlimited internet access...not much of choice for me. I don't stream - don't have deluxe ptunes - so can't help you there.
    Good to know. Thanks!

BTW, will Instant Messengers work on T-Zone only? I thought we have to use the Unlimited Data Plan for $20. I want email, web (full HTML w/ Javascript), streaming music, VNC, etc. I can't imagine all that is included in T-Zone for $5.
    Great info! I think you've just pushed me into the Sprint network now.
    don't get me wrong, i'm not a shill for Sprint by any means...if it were any other phone besides this particular Treo, i'd probably be on tmo in a heartbeat, and like i said am still considering it...its just that in my experience, the treo 600 seems a bit better for me on sprint.

Why do you opt to do SMS option instead? Is it because you can receive calls? Forwarding IM's to SMS sounds slow to me, or is that a myth as well?
    for a few reasons:
    • it saves on battery life (i think) cause it's not connecting using the vision data as much
    • calls come through if it's not using the vision data
    • you can chat while on a call since sms goes through phoen calls
    • messages come through when i'm browsing in blazer. granted you can do this with chatter and probably verichat as well using the data option.

Many thanks!
    sure thing!
    SMS works well b/c it comes thru if you are actively using voice OR data.

re: IM on TZones - do a search on these boards - there's a lot of discussion about it, and it's generally not good
    Yup, I get email, and web unlimited for 5$ a month. They try to sell you on the $20 plan and I don't think tzones is secure but it works on the Treo as full internet access if you just get the email tzone. There are threads on the site about it.
    I get IM and MSN messages constantly while i am on the phone with people and i can sent IM's with verychat and be on the phone at the same time. It is just major data usage that cuts the phone off. I am using Sprint.
    I was previously on Sprint and is now on Tmo.

Sprint pros: strong coverage in rural area, faster data.
    Sprint cons: very lousy customer service (expect >30 min wait to get someone), delayed voicemail and text messages (received 2 days later!), phone is unusable in most countries.

Tmo pros: Phone is usable in most countries, excellent customer service, free WAP (port 80 connection only), reliable text messages.
    Tmo cons: slower data, poor coverage in rural area (it has improved a lot with Cingular and ATT roaming agreement).

If you are a really heavy data user with radio streaming activity, I recommend Sprint.
    Last edited by sparxus; 06/22/2004 at 08:56 AM.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by sparxus
    I was previously on Sprint and is now on Tmo.

Sprint cons: very lousy customer service (expect >30 min wait to get someone), delayed voicemail and text messages (received 2 days later!), phone is unusable in most countries.

Tmo pros: Phone is usable in most countries, excellent customer service, free WAP (port 80 connection only), reliable text messages.
    Tmo cons: slower data, poor coverage in rural area (it has improved a lot with Cingular and ATT roaming agreement).

If you are a really heavy data user with radio streaming activity, I recommend Sprint.
    The roaming agreement is very limited. This last weekend I spent a few days in an area where there was no T-Mobile coverage, but there was ATT coverage. My Treo tried to "register", but ATT wouldn't let this happen. When I called T-Mobile, they told me the ATT roaming agreement was only in a few areas. :-(
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by sparxus
    i find both of these to be misleading, in my experience at least. For me , the only reason rural coverage is better on Sprint than it was for me on tmo is because of the Verizon digital roaming agreement. Out at my parent's house, the only companies that have service are Verizon and AT&T. Luckily Sprint has the $5 roaming agreement, while tmo doesn't allow their phones to roam on AT&T out there.

As far as customer service goes, I used to be with Sprint about 4 years ago and, yes, the customer service was abysmal. However, over the past 3 months or so that I've been back with Sprint, the service has been at least as good as it was on tmo. I've never had to wait longer than a minute or two before speaking with someone, and the reps have all been very courteous and helpful. It's really surprised me. I think they have some sort of service restructuring going on, because it's a pretty dramatic change, and they always ask how they did at the end of the call.
  19.    #19  
    • it saves on battery life (i think) cause it's not connecting using the vision data as much
    • calls come through if it's not using the vision data
    • you can chat while on a call since sms goes through phoen calls
    • messages come through when i'm browsing in blazer. granted you can do this with chatter and probably verichat as well using the data option.
    I'm pretty sold on Sprint. Using SMS for IM sounds perfect for me too.

Now I have a question about browsing in blazer and messages coming through, is it true that you cannot get Instant Messages when you are surfing the web because the applications are not multithreaded?

Another question: Does IM forwarding to SMS have longer lag time between messages ?

Thanks!
    TJ
    I'm glad Sprint is providing better service now. My Sprint input was based on my experience 3 years ago.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated