1.    #1  
    I'm looking to split large MP3's into smaller pieces. Does anyone know of some decent, free software to do this on the PC?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I use MP3 Sound Cutter (http://www.cooolsoft.com/mp3cut.htm). The unregistered version only allows 60 second cuts/clips (which is plenty for ringtones). Registered version is $19.95 with no limits
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4.    #4  
    Those both look like good programs. I guess there isn't a free version.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I don't know what OS you're using, but you could always convert your MP3 to WAV, then use sound recorder that comes with Windows to crop away what you don't want. Then convert the resulting WAV back to MP3. Although you'll probably end up with a lower quality MP3 in the end because of the re-encoding.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    I was just thinking about this today... Do you really lose quality by de- and then re-encoding? I understand you definitely would in an analog world, but how about in the digital world? My gut says that you could de- and re-encode the same piece all day and it would have exactly the same bits and bytes at the end of the day, but I've never tried it out...
  7. KBS
    Try this: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r894.html. I wanted only the "money, money, money, mooonnney!" part of the money song and I was able to cut it perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    I was just thinking about this today... Do you really lose quality by de- and then re-encoding? I understand you definitely would in an analog world, but how about in the digital world? My gut says that you could de- and re-encode the same piece all day and it would have exactly the same bits and bytes at the end of the day, but I've never tried it out...
    Yes, you do lose quality. The mp3 codec is "lossy", which means you have less info in the file after encoding/compresssion than before. Ogg Vorbis is the same, it just does a better job at the same bitrate than mp3... but I digress. If you convert from wav -> mp3 -> wav -> mp3 you are losing data each time you compress the file. You can't get that data back by going the other way.

Same goes for images. JPEG compression is lossy. If you compress an image file, save it, then try to save it again with less compression you don't get that data back and your image does not look any better. Do that a few times and see how bad the image gets.
    i use cooledit
    there is a free program that allows you to access only certain parts of the program everytime you open

opens mp3/wav files and you can cut and paste
    very easy to use
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I have some options.
  11. bco
    I tried a bunch and use mp3DirectCut (free). Has a great graphical interface.

http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch/
    QuickTime Pro will do this.

Thanks,
    Peter