1.    #1  
    I think this would be a cool program for the Treo. To also be able to lookup all contacts in your history and save them to the contacts. Also some speech recognition would be awesome like voicestream's application for the vga1000 phones.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I like the idea of text to speech - very easy to do if i remember correctly, but a few megs or more i'm guessing. The game Table Tennis 3D uses it - but of course it's limited vocabulary so the engine and file libraries are small. It would be nice especially while working at the office to have it on "announce" instead of a certain ring - much more professional let alone my tone of "super mario brothers in the pipe" when it rings with certain people would be BELETED! Online directory lookup - whoa that would require it to connect to the internet , download info, etc. etc.... maybe in a few years when internet is faster or simulataneous data/voice
  3.    #3  
    I meant to say Voice Signal. http://www.voicesignal.com/ They have speaker-independent voice recognition. You say "Name Dial" it says "Name Please" then you say something like "John Doe" and it says "Did you say John Doe?" it sounds a bit robotic, but its amazing how close it gets with the speech. If it was amplified and connected to caller ID to reverse lookup in the contacts that would be perfect.

The online lookup of numbers in the call log wouldn't be too difficult. It would just be an application to read the numbers, access a url like

http://whitepages.com/search/Reverse...e=206-621-1606

Take the information, and put it in its own category in the contacts.
    I already have my calls announce the name of the caller when someone I assgin calls! There is a tex 2 voice website that will take any text & create a voice wav file. I then use lightwav to play that wav file when someone calls. It is not robotic at all. in fact you can choose different dialects. British, american, french, mexican/ male or female!
    Mapopolis's PSpeak has a TTS engine that it uses for it's palmos mapping software:

http://www.mapopolis.com/free.jsp?s=...5718629&p=&q=2

It's pretty neat cuz it allows the Treo to speak out text on the clip board. I wish some developer out there could alter it so it could be used in conjunction with other apps like snappermail etc. It would be cool to have my email read out to me by my Treo!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    PSpeak is just what I was looking for. They even have a function to call it from a program. Now to make it play the contact name when the phone rings. Any volunteers?
    yeah you read my post? get lightwav and it'll play it as long as it's a wav file. I use it now. Go to this website from treo & you can download your text to voice wav file directly to your treo. then use lightwav to assign it to a contact in your phone book. when that person calls, it plays!

http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
  8.    #8  
    Treoneo, I read your post. I'm looking for something more automatic and scalable. So I wouldn't have to make a wave file for every single contact.
    I too have done what treoneo has done.

But automating it, via a text 2 speech converter, would be much better.
    How do you get that pspeak and speakmemo and bookspeak to work? I transferred all the files to my card and that didn't work. Then I copied the prc and pdb for pspeak and the prc for speakmemo to the RAM and that gave me some strange error when I tried speakmemo. When I try to run pspeak it blanks the screen and then I hear "hello this is-" although the "is" is even cut off. Any ideas? I can't find documentation for it or a manual. Thanks!
    Treoneo.......
    Thanks for the info....tips and tricks like the one you provided in this thread are great! Is there anywhere on TC where these can be posted in a more easily accessed / permanent thread /location?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I asked this same request about 2 weeks ago and I didn't get a response from anyone interested. Do you think it is because it is not possible? The text-to-speech process using the website to create wav's is a pain. Typing out the greeting, then saving it to wav, then uploading to your sd card, then accessing lighwav to program it for a contact... too much work, only did it for like 5 people then I got sick of it. It has to be possible to have pSpeak access your incoming call info, convert it to speech, and then play it's sound via lightwav or something... The programming the toughest part in the text to speech has already been done by mapopolis and they use it for their gps program that does the same thing (it takes the name of a street in a database and then sends it to pSpeak, then plays it audibly through the speaker, all seamingly at the same time). Lightwav can take a simple caller id number and then access its database and play a wav file and a full motion video... so why hasn't anyone automated the text to speech caller id function? i would pay for a program that lets me know who is calling if my phone is across the room or facing away without having to go through with saving all the wavs or memorize who has what ring assigned to them...

here was my earlier link.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=pspeak
  13.    #13  
    treo600guy, i had the same error. I just did a k+backspace reset of my phone. I'll try pspeak later tonight and see if that was the problem. I'll let you know.

ufgator: It is possible. all it would involve is hooking to the caller id, just like lightwave does, and instead of playing a sound file, it calles pspeak. There is already a function for pspeak to call it externally from another program. It's just a matter of someone writing this application. If anyone can direct me to some palm development tools i'll take a shot at this program.
    pspeach keep giving me below threshold hs somthing like that .
    It 1/2 way works say's the 1st 1 or 2 sec of memo pad and for books speks for 2 sec then stops for 4.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psytek
    ufgator: It is possible. all it would involve is hooking to the caller id, just like lightwave does, and instead of playing a sound file, it calles pspeak. There is already a function for pspeak to call it externally from another program. It's just a matter of someone writing this application. If anyone can direct me to some palm development tools i'll take a shot at this program.
    Sounds good, now we need someone to write the program (lightwav... maybe... hint... hint...) If we could get this program operable I believe it would be another one of the Treo 600's many "showcase features"... The ability to tell you who is calling, without programming anything but the name and phone number, now that is impressive... Let me know if I can do anything to get the ball rolling.
    I'm having trouble using the PSpeak and the Book Reader application. I couldn't find any help files - so I thought I would ask here. When I try to use the app I get a verbal and written error of: below threshold
    I would imagine that it's a Treo setting but not sure which one
    dave