1.    #1  
    My partner had the 3,000 plus contacts on our Act! database loaded on his Treo 600 and has had quite a few problems. Would it be safer and more likely to work properly to load it on an expansion card and how easy would it be to utilize Treo's ability to make phone calls from the database?
    OEDEric,

Unfortunately, the information above doesn't give us enough to make a formal recommendation, but I can tell you that I have 2400 contacts loaded on my Treo 600 using Act! 2000 on the desktop without any problems whatsoever. Was your friend's Treo a 600? What contact manager is he using on the Treo, the built-in? I'm using Agendus personally, but know that any of the contact managers work well. I use Companionlink to sync Act! to Treo without an issue and highly recommend that configuration over PalmSync from Act - Companionlink actually makes the latter, however, it's limited in functionality. If you use the real Companionlink, you will get the ability to sync notes and histories of your contacts as well.

Additionally, loading the contacts onto the expansion card is impossible for several reasons, including, but not limited to: 1) None of the available conduits support syncing the internal databases to the memory card and, 2) none of the applications (built-in or Third party) support READING those databases from the card.

While the latter may change in the future, wherein the expansion cards just become an extension of internal memory and it's one big file system, today, under OS 5.2.1, it's just not possible.

PS: It MAY be possible to trick the applications to look for data on the card (but make them think it's local storage) if you use one of the available memory manager systems that support "short-cuts." I currently use LauncherX which is a replacement Palm Launcher that supports short cuts. I have actually moved several of my applications that have associated conduits (i.e., SplashID, SplashPhoto, TrackerDog, SplashShopper, PocketQuicken, etc.), to the memory card. Normally, these applications would no longer be able to sync to the desktop, however, with the creation off a short-cut in internal memory that links to card (the shortcut takes about 86bytes or so) it just redirects reads/writes to the card. Everything works as normal, albeit a little slower.

Hope this helps!

L
    Lee Ladisky
  3.    #3  
    Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.
    Actually, the latest version of the Act link will sync histories and notes and I think it is much more stable than Companionlink.