Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I need help. Both my trial versions for these died before they were recently updated. So I have no idea which will work at all or better than the other.

When last I left off on my Sprint Treo 600 with the 1.20 updated software, Lightwav crashed my unit constantly. CallShield Pro 1.5 beta didn't work correctly. Yes, it set of certain MP3 files when certain people called. And then it DIDN'T stop playing them when I answered the call. The tech support people said they knew that but were too busy working on other software to fix that.

So my question is: if I had to pay for a real version of one of these over the next 24 hrs, which should it be? Or neither? I am under the impression that CallShield does more, but right now, neither of them do anything, especially while my trials are over and especially while when I was last trying them, they both flunked!

Help!
    http://www.aswas.com
    I use Lightwav on a Sprint version running 1.20 and it works fine.

I think it's one of the best apps on my Treo.
    I used Call Filter and Call Shield and settled on Call Shield. I do not use MP3s, just the regular ringers. I have had no difficulties or crashes with either one. LightWave fell short on a few features. As for support, I agree they should fix the MP3 problem. As for the software, I believe they have a couple of new products they are working on.

The saddle bags were shiny, but the Hawaiian sun has just beat them to death. Ben
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    CallFilter is the most stable IMO
    If you're just looking to play a single MP3 for all contacts when the phone rings you could try Phone Technician.
    It's still in beta, the developer seems very responsive though and it works fine on my Treo.
    Best of all last I saw it was only $5 last I checked.
    You can find this software and other titles by the same developer at
    www.hobbyistsoftware.com
    I like them both and use them both. I use LightWav me manage my mp3 ringers. I use CallShield to manage the contacts.

It may be and overkill but this is how I do it….

I have

 Butler v1.71 (we all know what this is for, right?).

 CallShieldPro v1.50 - Stop me for getting call from people who block their telephone number of if their number is restricted. (Yes, people I just don’t want to talk with).

 LightWav v2.3 to assign 18-24sec mp3 only (I don’t used the repeat ring tone, it will cause my treo to cash if I don’t answer the call) to individual contacts. Just in case you ask only 18-24 seconds mp3. My phone doesn’t ring for 3 to 4 minutes and it is waste of space and also convert the mp3 to ram. Meaning I don’t need the SD card to play the mp3 ringer.

 mRing v1.0.6 I used mRing to control all of my ringer tone sounds. This app is a must have for me to do what I am doing. Okay, I am going to try to explain this one. mRing let me assign ring tone (not mp3) to contacts by categories, and individually. I assign a silent ring tone to the individual contacts that I want to play an mp3 ringer for. Do not check on the S box. This will stop all sound from playing including mp3.

 Pocket Tunes Deluxe v3.01 - This is the work horse for my mp3 ringers.

It may be and overkill but this is how I do it to get the job done. I wound like to have an all-in-one app, but this may be impossible. I am will to pay $60usd.
    I have Callshield Pro and Ligthwav

*LightWav is very user friendly program (looks good), and is easy to use for playing MP3's as ring tones.

*Callshield also play MP3's as ringtones, but has additional phone options you may be glad to have as well, options that LightWav does not heve. Ex: Callshield supresses pop up alerts from phone calls and SMS's, and tons of additional features that Lightwav doesn't have.

Its all about prefrences here. Since your trials are up just go to the home page sites of each program and compare the options lists that each has. See what best fits your needs
    BUTTERCUP
    tymerock, I think you could have achieved the same (better?) results by using CallFilter instead of CallShield and Lightwav. The only thing missing would be the SMS handling, which will most likely be in the upcoming version of CallFilter.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    The SMS pop alert suppression feature was most important to me at the time of purchase, which was 2 months ago. If I had purchased Callfilter instead, I would have still been waiting for that updated feature. It's realy about what your needs are and what options are most important to you.
    BUTTERCUP
    I don’t like CallFilter because it doesn’t hangup on callers who chose to restrict or block their phone number which CallShield does.
    Wait for Callfilter. The new to-come-out version is amazing. There is no comparison. The developer is in the process of finalizing it.
    What will be so amazing about the new version to come out?

Just to add to post #10, I don't think CallShield recognize mp3 in the ram, only on SD card
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb
    Wait for Callfilter. The new to-come-out version is amazing. There is no comparison. The developer is in the process of finalizing it.
    That may be, but to quote one of the reviews posted on PalmGear

Agree with the others. Tried it out and liked it OK. Went to register it and was prepared to pay $10-$15. At $30, I'll remember to turn the ringer off myself when I go to bed, or wait for another program that does the same thing.
    Palmgear CallFilter listing
    CallFilter is the most stable. Also, the new version in the pipeline is also more stable and makes a quantum leap with respect to functionality. It could take the competing apps months to release betas remotely as good and half as stable.

Definitely go with CallFilter and hang on for the new release. I don't care what some silly Palmgear review says.

Cheers
    rosenft,

Can you tell me, what is the quantum leap with respect to functionality that you are talking about? I feel some of us are quick to talk about apps but stop very short of explaining the "quantum leap" part. CallFilter has been on the market for quite sometime now. It is a good app, but as for me, not good enough. If there is something special about CallFilter in the works, “new version in the pipeline”, than tell it. Don’t BS us with your words, “It could take the competing apps months to release betas remotely as good and half as stable.”.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    “It could take the competing apps months to release betas remotely as good and half as stable.”.
    It could take that long to find out what the features are, when I originally bought my Treo 600 in Arpil people were already talking up the new Callfilter version, I am still to find out for what features I was waiting! The current version is very nice and stable but honestly how long can people talk up a release without it actually being released, its like telling people not to buy windows XP yet as longhorn is about to be released
    I have been hearing about this 'NEW' version of Callfilter forever , actually months. Not sure how long people are willing to wait before they choose another app, I decided on Callshield because I couldn't wait I'm sure I wasn't alone in this.

In respect to playing MP3 files as ringtones it seems that all the programs out there now have some type of issue. I'm only refering to Callshiled, Lightwav and Callfilter. Easy with the stone throwing people this is just my opinion here

*Callshield - You can not set the ringer for a full MP3 song. If you do so, once you answer the call the music continues to play. You can hit the S key to stop the music, but unless you are Quick Draw Mcgraw this is useless You must cut MP3's down to about 15-25 seconds. Even this isn't a solution, because the caller still hears a bit of the music when you pick up the call. This is very unprofessional for business clients, also when I tell my un business related callers I'm working and sounds like I just lowered a blasting stereo, I look like I'm lying

*Lightwav - Lightwave is able to handle a full MP3 song as a ring tone, eliminating the need to edit and cut them, but again the caller hears a small amount of the song playing on pick up. To me this defeats the purpose all together.

*Callfilter - I do not have this app so it wouldn't be right for me to comment on it. I can say the threads I have seen also seem to point to MP3 issues as well. I plan on testing this one tonight and will add to this post once I do so.

So far Callshiled and Lightwav send the endless promises of these new updates that will correct these issue in future updates, but update after update they still exist. I am not knocking either company, I love these apps and I have had great responses to my emails. I think eventually they will get it right, but now I'm sticking with my boring midi ringtones.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb
    BUTTERCUP
    I think the problem with all of the above is that they ride on top of pocket tunes. Now I understand why they do that but I believe that is the reason why all of them have that mp3 ringtone issue.

I'm in agreement with Buttercup, none of the apps seem to be developing new stuff in recent times when they all still have flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    I have been hearing about this 'NEW' version of Callfilter forever , actually months. Not sure how long people are willing to wait before they choose another app, I decided on Callshield because I couldn't wait I'm sure I wasn't alone in this.

*Lightwav - Lightwave is able to handle a full MP3 song as a ring tone, eliminating the need to edit and cut them, but again the caller hears a small amount of the song playing on pick up. To me this defeats the purpose all together.
    You know it's funny to know if anyone actually RTFM before they talking the bad and good. In Lightwav if you answer the call with the center button in the 5 way this stops the sound and the caller does not hear any sound. You can also press the up/down volume keys on the side or tap on the screen to stop the sound then answer the call.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    I think the problem with all of the above is that they ride on top of pocket tunes. Now I understand why they do that but I believe that is the reason why all of them have that mp3 ringtone issue.

I'm in agreement with Buttercup, none of the apps seem to be developing new stuff in recent times when they all still have flaws.
    Lightwav is the only ringtone app that has built in WAV file support. You DO NOT need PocketTunes.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast