1.    #1  
    Latest version of WirelessModem for Mac OSX will occassionally lose connection. After that, if I try to disconnect the internet connection from the Mac it will hang there trying to disconnect forever. The only way out of this is to reboot my computer, which blows.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of this hung disconnecting state? If I change Network Locations then back again it still shows "disconnecting". There should be some type of command line kill command maybe if I could find the process.

Please don't suggest switching to Windows or using Virtual PC...

Thanks
    Phil G
    If you haven't seen it, you might want to check out another, somewhat related thread in this forum: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=51230

If you place your message in that thread (reactivating it), maybe jjudy can share his ongoing experience with you (and the rest of us).

Since I'm considering WirelessModem (via OS X) myself, I'll be interested in how you resolve your problem. If this can't be made to work reliably, I guess I'll have to resort to Virtual PC and PDANet (and have to start getting really serious about virus protection, etc. with IE & Windows).
    Last edited by TreoMountain; 06/20/2004 at 06:54 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I don't have any trouble getting it to connect, which is what most of that other thread is about. I've been using WirelessModem for over a year, including previously with a Treo 300. It used to work very well, with connections staying up for pretty much as long as I wanted to stay connected.

I haven't used it in maybe 3-4 months and now it won't keep a connection open for more than 5-10 minutes for me, so I'm not very pleased as I was counting on being able to use it on my vacation and it wasn't very functional and was very frustrating.

The author used to be pretty active on these boards but I'm wondering if WirelessModem has hit a wall, seeing as I don't believe there have been any updates in almost 9 months.
    I vaguely remember that the author mentioned that there was a problem in the Treo600 that required the use of a serial cable rather than a USB cable. I think the symptom was the Treo hanging after a few minutes. Also, lots of people reported slow throughput with the USB cable.

I haven't tried it in eons (many months); maybe the new firmware in my GSM T600 fixed the problem? I'll post a message if I get a chance to test it...

Bill S
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain
    Since I'm considering WirelessModem (via OS X) myself, I'll be interested in how you resolve your problem. If this can't be made to work reliably, I guess I'll have to resort to Virtual PC and PDANet (and have to start getting really serious about virus protection, etc. with IE & Windows).
    I've come close to buying WirelessModem twice but don't feel good about supporting a product that is kludgy, unsupported and overpriced. If I had seen some development progress I probably would have gone ahead. In the meantime more free local networks have been popping up and the Blazer browser is good for some things, so I can live without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipgood
    I don't have any trouble getting it to connect, which is what most of that other thread is about. I've been using WirelessModem for over a year, including previously with a Treo 300. It used to work very well, with connections staying up for pretty much as long as I wanted to stay connected.

I haven't used it in maybe 3-4 months and now it won't keep a connection open for more than 5-10 minutes for me, so I'm not very pleased as I was counting on being able to use it on my vacation and it wasn't very functional and was very frustrating.

The author used to be pretty active on these boards but I'm wondering if WirelessModem has hit a wall, seeing as I don't believe there have been any updates in almost 9 months.
    philipgood:
    Did you ever get this problem resolved?
  7.    #7  
    philipgood:
    Did you ever get this problem resolved?
    Apparently the problem is with using the USB synch cable. I've had several responses to another post that says WirelessModem doesn't get hung when using a USB to
  8.    #8  
    oops...

when using a USB to Serial adapter and a serial HotSynch cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipgood
    oops...

when using a USB to Serial adapter and a serial HotSynch cable.
    Well, PLEASE let us know if you are going to try the USB to Serial adapter and serial HotSynch cable, and if such resolves the problem.

This may indeed prove to be the issue. JJudy on a different thread (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=51230, which I cited in an earlier post, but has expanded to address this issue from the perspective of a pretty savy Treo 300/OS X user) reports no problems with WirelessModem disconnecting.
    I've had a similiar issue. I've been using WM's older version without problem but since recentlyupgrading my harddrive, I have had to re-install WM on my harddrive. I should have made a backup of the previous version of WM since the latest version I downloaded has been giving me serious disconnect problems.
    Does anyone have a copy of the previous version of WirelessModem? I'm not sure which version number, but when you see the icon, it has a crudely drawn cable from the treo to a laptop (not the blue cable you see in the latest version).
    DaleDC
    ...I guess I'll have to resort to Virtual PC and PDANet (and have to start getting really serious about virus protection, etc. with IE & Windows).
    So TreoMountain, do you have Virtual PC and PDANet working? I recently switched from PC to MAC and haven't been able to successfully synch my Treo 600 to Palm Desktop in my Virtual WinXP PC. I've disabled hotsync on the MAC side but the windows side won't pick it up when I attempt to hot sync. I even hear the hotsync initiation tones, but the progress window does not pop up.

Any suggestions

Once I can get hotsync to work I imagine PDANet will work as well.
    go.digital
    Quote Originally Posted by dulan
    So TreoMountain, do you have Virtual PC and PDANet working? I recently switched from PC to MAC and haven't been able to successfully synch my Treo 600 to Palm Desktop in my Virtual WinXP PC. I've disabled hotsync on the MAC side but the windows side won't pick it up when I attempt to hot sync. I even hear the hotsync initiation tones, but the progress window does not pop up.

Any suggestions

Once I can get hotsync to work I imagine PDANet will work as well.
    I do have Virtual PC running on my Mac, but not PDANet (at least not yet). Other threads in this and other forums suggest the PC world is experiencing problems with PDANet, although not to the extent we Mac users have with WM. Continuing PDANet problems dissuade me from investing much time trying to make that work -- I have precious little time these days to "play around" with computer stuff and must rely on my computer stuff to work for me (after all, that's why I too converted from PCs to Macs).

Germane to your problem, I'm probably of little help. I don't (yet) use Windows XP (it's awfully slow on my older laptop running OS 10.3). I'll upgrade (eventually) to XP whenever Microsoft gets around to releasing Virtual PC 7, so I can run it on a near-future G5. However, since I need WM or PDANet only when I travel out of the office where no WiFi hotspot can be found, it will be some time before I look into XP and PDANet (Windows 2000 and PDANet may be another option, however). One thing you ought to be aware of as you play around with getting this to work is that the Mac hardware governing the USB ports uses the OS 10 software to run. Virtual PC is an emulator (similar to Classic for running OS 9 under OS 10). Therefore, Windows XP is not commanding control of the Mac USB hardware. Instead, Virtual PC is translating XP commands to OS 10 for execution, particularly for any hardware interfaces. That means that you probably should not have disabled hotsync on the Mac side. Instead, first make sure everything works on the Mac side (hotsynch, etc.). Then strive to get it to work under VPC/XP, maybe just synching up with a Palm desktop (test user), transferring data, maybe transferring program files to the Treo from within Windows. Obviously, you should first be able to print to a USB printer and use a USB mouse under XP running on VPC/OSX. Once you have that functionality proved, moving into PDANet functionality ought to be easier. For more info/insight on this, see http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...usingvirtualpc or various discussion threads at http://discussions.info.apple.com/, or, even better, at http://www.macfixit.com/.

Please, when you get this combination working, report back with how you made it work and how well it works. Thanks for your private inquiry.
    TreoMountain, thanks for your reply. I still haven't been able to get hotsync to work on Virtual PC, which is why I'm turning my attention to syncing on the MAC side. After reading all the comments here and on google groups, it doesn't look like it's very easy to synch the Treo 600 to Entourage and the I'm having problems getting WirelessModem to stay connected. So, I'm just synching to Palm Destop on MAC and hoping someone gets these problems figured out.
    go.digital