Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    My old thread was lost, so here's a new one. Hopefully with all the interest generated by the BT bounty will bring some new people to help.

A couple of months ago, I came across this page of a guy who made a BT module for his SPH-i500 which suffers from lack of BT like the Treo does.

I've emailed back and forth with him, and have decided that the only way to get what we want is to build it ourselves. Here is what I've found:

With a surface-mount BT module like Scott used, it seems to be VERY easy to get the Treo to sync via BT using the serial profile. This way, the treo needs no drivers and simply thinks its syncing via serial connection.

Also, using scott's BT module, encoding the audio stream is as easy as connecting a miniplug to the headphone jack, as the module already has an audio encoder.

Biggest problem I've seen is getting power to the device, luckily the treo has a lead to its battery in its connector, but I don't know enough about engineering to not blow myself or my phone up so here I'm stuck.

Is anyone interested is helping with this concept? I have very little engineering knowledge so I'd like someone to help with the calculations so I don't damage anything which taping into the power and serial connections of the module and the treo.

I've given up on waiting for an SD solution, its not going to happen for this generation treo, and I for sure don't want to wait for a new SD BT card that has the headset or handsfree profile. That for sure isn't happening this year. So this is a solution I've started thinking about. What do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Crashless, I agree, this does sound like an interesting project, perhaps more doable than trying to reverse engineer the OS 4 drivers to get the SD card to work with OS 5 - seeing as these Windigo modules look like they are probably well documented. Do you know which module Scott, the i500 BT hacker, used? Is it the btm02c2xx-x? I tried to match up the pictures on his site with the product pics on the Windigo site, and I didn't see anything that was an exact match, but that btm02c2 board looks like it meets the general spec requirements. I even found a place to order one (http://www.bluetoothmerchant.com/ite...php?item_id=1&) for 49 dollars - a bargain, though I don't think that's the exact model we'd want (embedded antenna needed, and such).

It shouldn't be too hard to wire up an audio connector that can fit with the Treo port - it's apparently a standard 2.5mm 3 pole audio plug. I don't quite understand the data sheet, it doesn't seem terribly descriptive about what the programmable I/O pins are and how to use them, but I'm guessing it's not too hard and Scott can probably help us since he got the i500 audio connected to this board.

Getting a connector that can mate with the "serial" connector port shouldn't be too much of a problem, the Treo 600 developer's guide (you can sign up for the PluggedIn program with PalmOne for free to get access to this document) gives the connector part number, where to order them from, and so on. The power line comes straight off the battery, 3.7V apparently, so that should power the 3.3V btm02c2 without problem (I dunno whether it would need a voltage regulator or something to keep the voltage below 3.3V).

As for the data sync, I dunno - sure, you can wire the USB lines from the serial connector to the USB lines on the btm02c2, but how does the Palm desktop software know how to sync using Bluetooth, assuming you have some BT hub device on your PC? This seems much trickier to me - there is Palm BT sync software out there, but it's written to work with the standard Palm BT built-in and SD devices, not with this hacked together device. Did Scott get his i500 to do data sync over bluetooth?

And as for other nifty Bluetooth apps written for the Palm OS bluetooth API, again we're back to needing a transport layer driver for our custom Bluetooth device (again, in native ARM code) to work with the other Palm BT code. This is hard because you are trying to implement an API that isn't documented - almost as hard as writing the same driver for the SD card. Well, I mean, I guess you could write a complete reimplementation of the Palm Bluetooth API to talk to this device. Seems hard in any case.

If you or Scott have any other insights on how to make the data sync work, or how hard the audio connection is, I'd love to hear it. I can certainly think of several ways to make a housing for this gadget, like using an extended battery housing and removing the battery from it, or even getting some custom parts made up for a housing (not too hard to do, actually, at least for a limited run).
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Would love to get my hands on an external battery case (only case don't want to pay $50 with battery in it), if we used that case it has plenty of room for the bluetooth module to have its own batteries inside! For me it would be simple as all I want is the audio functionality, where can I buy one of the bluetooth modules anyway?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    If you just want audio, why not buy a Jarba headset w/ it's own dongle. It'll be cheaper, and WAY easier.

We are interested in using it beyond what is currently possible with these commercially available BT dongles - we want data...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just a quick update - I just received the Taiyo Yuden BT module, but I'm out of town for a few days, so I probably won't get it in my hands until Wednesday. And I'm going away for a week to Colorado for the 4th of July, so I'll have to try to snag any other components I need and bring everything with me for experimentation while I'm away.
    good luck
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    scott got his bluetooth working for just about everything in the end, even for modem usage, there are a number of threads in the i500 forum at pdaphonehome about it, here is one of them: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...t&pagenumber=1
    unfortunately scott never followed through with his promise to custom do this for i500 owners, and he has mostly disappeared from the forum altogther...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by i330
    scott got his bluetooth working for just about everything in the end, even for modem usage, there are a number of threads in the i500 forum at pdaphonehome about it, here is one of them: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...t&pagenumber=1
    unfortunately scott never followed through with his promise to custom do this for i500 owners, and he has mostly disappeared from the forum altogther...
    This is true. It took me some time to get some responses from him, but they did come. He says he wrote a program that helped manage things, but as it was written for OS4, it would most likely have to be re-written for OS5.