1. JWC
    I'm a new Treo owner (received great help here by searching old discussions). I tried to install Business Connection today and it's not going so well. Here's my problem:

Software to desktop and Treo installed fine. When I try to sync Treo to get mail, I get "Error S7121: Cannot connect to desktop. Please check your desktop client and try again."

I reviewed this prior thread about this problem. Some people said it was a momentary blip because of issues with Sprint, but it seems like the original poster fixed the problem by doing a hard reset and reinstalling the palm client.

After hours of tinkering, I did a hard reset and downloaded the palm client back onto my Treo (without hotsyncing so that no other software was on the Treo) and still have the problem. I am out of ideas.

I can connect through the web version and I can see my email so I know Outlook is communicating with Sprint's servers (or however it works). One note there, though: on the web interface (from my desktop), I can cycle through the Inbox, Mail Folders, and Network Documents fine, but whenever I try to access my Calendar it gives me an error and the BC icon indicates it logs out and immediately logs back on. I'm guessing this is part of my larger problem - the Treo is connecting to the Sprint server, says it is downloading, is probably getting the email fine, but when it tries to access the Calendar the server kicks it off and I get my error.

One final bit of information - in case it makes any difference, my employer runs Groupwise. I have Outlook set up as my default mail program accessing the Novell server. I don't think this should matter because I know all those settings are fine since I can see my email on the web interface - obviously that connection is working.

Can anyone help? I'm very frustrated!

JWC
    I am beta testing the new version. It has from a company called "seven". It works great and they are adding more features. I was also getting the same error as you and read on a thread of someone beta testing a newer version. It took me awhile to find this link. Click on the email link and write them. They'll get back to you pretty quickly with a questionaire. I think it has the potential to replace datebook5 and snapper in the not to distant future (for my needs anyway).

http://www.seven.com/main.jsp?menu=p...pers&sub2=beta

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I am beta testing the new version. It has from a company called "seven". It works great and they are adding more features. I was also getting the same error as you and read on a thread of someone beta testing a newer version. It took me awhile to find this link. Click on the email link and write them. They'll get back to you pretty quickly with a questionaire. I think it has the potential to replace datebook5 and snapper in the not to distant future (for my needs anyway).

http://www.seven.com/main.jsp?menu=p...pers&sub2=beta

Hope that helps.
    So is BC the same thing as "Seven", or are they both just developed by the same company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    So is BC the same thing as "Seven", or are they both just developed by the same company?
    Same thing.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    cool, thanks. I sent them an email inquiring about the beta program. Hopefully I can try it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    cool, thanks. I sent them an email inquiring about the beta program. Hopefully I can try it out!

I'm diggin' it
  7. JWC
    I sent an email to the link that dutchtrumpet provided to inquire about joining the beta testing program. No response thus far. Maybe they will get back to me, or maybe their beta program is full.

Back to my original question though: is there ANY suggestion from anyone as to how to resolve this problem?

Pushing mail to my Treo using SBC was at least 50% of the reason I wanted a Treo. Is SBC really that bad of a program that it is just NEVER going to work for me? Seems like most people have at least some success with the program, but I get the above error every single time I "use" it - it has never worked. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole experience.

I'd appreciate any guidance from someone who dealt with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWC
    I sent an email to the link that dutchtrumpet provided to inquire about joining the beta testing program. No response thus far. Maybe they will get back to me, or maybe their beta program is full.

Back to my original question though: is there ANY suggestion from anyone as to how to resolve this problem?

Pushing mail to my Treo using SBC was at least 50% of the reason I wanted a Treo. Is SBC really that bad of a program that it is just NEVER going to work for me? Seems like most people have at least some success with the program, but I get the above error every single time I "use" it - it has never worked. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole experience.

I'd appreciate any guidance from someone who dealt with this.
    I was in the same boat. Hopefully you'll hear back from seven.
  9. JWC
    For anyone who is interested in following my progess:

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with technical support trying to resolve the problem. As I expected, they were no help. In reading other threads on this issue I learned that they do not even have Error S7121 in their troubleshooting materials. That was true of my conversation with them, as well. We did the normal uninstall/reinstall with no effect (and I had done that before anyway).

A ticket was written up and they say someone will call w/in 72 hours. I'm hopeful someone in the next level of bureaucracy can help, but not optimistic. I'll update my progess so that anyone else having this problem can have some help.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    have you tried to re-register from the BC Client on the Treo? (Settings > Biz Conn Info > Re-Register)

Is your desktop workstation "flaky" in any respect for network connectivity, speed or general stability? Is that machine behind any firewalls or proxies that have peculiar behavior or ports?

What version of Outlook are you running? You say you're using it to connect to Novell???? Say what? Is there an Exchange Server on the other end that Outlook communicates with? I know that Oracle has an Exchange substitute mail server, but I'd never heard of Novell doing that.

When you log onto the bc.sprintpcs.com website and go to Settings > Devices, do you see your Treo listed in there? Are there multiple listings that appear in this screen? If so, delete all of them. If there are NO entries in the list, your Treo has never registered with BC. If that is the case, I suspect a network connectivity issue or something to do with the Novell Client. When BC goes through the setup and key generation (steps 1 and 2), do they end successfully?

Those are a few things to look for- I would suspect the Novell client may be the culprit here, or perhaps your Outlook version.

Happy to help as time allows. BC has been great for me, but Sprint and Seven collectively haven't done a great job on Tier 2/3 support.
  11. JWC
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    have you tried to re-register from the BC Client on the Treo? (Settings > Biz Conn Info > Re-Register)

Is your desktop workstation "flaky" in any respect for network connectivity, speed or general stability? Is that machine behind any firewalls or proxies that have peculiar behavior or ports?

What version of Outlook are you running? You say you're using it to connect to Novell???? Say what? Is there an Exchange Server on the other end that Outlook communicates with? I know that Oracle has an Exchange substitute mail server, but I'd never heard of Novell doing that.

When you log onto the bc.sprintpcs.com website and go to Settings > Devices, do you see your Treo listed in there? Are there multiple listings that appear in this screen? If so, delete all of them. If there are NO entries in the list, your Treo has never registered with BC. If that is the case, I suspect a network connectivity issue or something to do with the Novell Client. When BC goes through the setup and key generation (steps 1 and 2), do they end successfully?

Those are a few things to look for- I would suspect the Novell client may be the culprit here, or perhaps your Outlook version.

Happy to help as time allows. BC has been great for me, but Sprint and Seven collectively haven't done a great job on Tier 2/3 support.
    Thanks for offering to help. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Yes, I have tried re-registering from the BC Client - several times.

2. My desktop is as stable and non-flaky as you could expect any Windows computer to be. I know next-to-nothing about firewalls and network workings, so all I can tell you is that I think I am behind a firewall. I have not focused on this being the problem, though, because I can see my mail when I log onto bc.sprintpcs.com. My thought has been that if there were a network/firewall issue (or even an Outlook/Novell issue, for that matter), I wouldn't be able to see my mail, mail folders, and My Documents folder on bc.sprintpcs.com. Somebody tell me if that is wrong and I will try to get more info on our firewall/network status.

3. I run Outlook 2002 SP-2. My company actually uses GroupWise. I learned from other posters here when I was trying to figure out what kind of smartphone/PDA to buy about using Outlook to connect to the Novell server so that BC would work - so I don't think I'm the first one to try it. (Again, someone tell me if I'm wrong.) It was actually (surprisingly) easy to set up. I just set up an account by choosing "Other Server Type" in the wizard and then it automatically brought up "Novell GroupWise Transport Provider" as a supported server type. I immediately had all my mail, sent items, saved items, contacts, etc. in Outlook. I delete in Outlook and it is gone in GroupWise. I move to another mailbox in Groupwise, it shows up there in Outlook. So, again, since this works localy AND I then see my mail fine on bc.sprintpcs.com, I assume the problem is not with this setup.

4. When I go to bc.sprintpcs.com and do Settings>Devices, my Treo is there. It is listed as Smart Device - [username] and then has my mobile number. Looks like it registered fine. I have regenerated the key on the Treo several times and it always ends fine.

I'll just elaborate on one more point that may help anyone out there trying to troubleshoot for me. When I try to synch my mail on the Treo it always starts out fine and says "Downloading server updates" or whatever. It usually cycles through for a minute or so and then I get my S7121 error. At that moment, my desktop tray icon for BC always cycles from green (connected) to gray (not connected) to yellow (connecting) and back to green (connected).

This is also exactly what happens when I am on bc.sprintpcs.com if I try to look at my calendar or contacts. Mail, mail folders, and My Documents work fine on web. But if I click on the button for calendar or contacts, I get a page telling me that I am not connected and the tray icon does the same thing noted above.

My interpretation of that is that my Treo starts out fine trying to get my mail but when it gets to the point in its sych where it is trying to get calendar stuff it gets kicked off because something is making my desktop disconnect. Make sense?

Thanks for anyone who can offer help based on this long list of info!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply, JWC. The registration success combined with the online success with mail tell me that most of the Sprint backend stuff connecting your phone to your desk is working properly.

After you describe your calendar problem I am really suspecting that it is your Outlook connection to Groupwise that messes up BC. Obviously Outlook is supported, but perhaps the API call to Groupwise is confusing the BC client and the whole process chokes.

I know that Notes and Exchange connectivity are supported...have you verified that "Sprint Business Connect supports Outlook connecting to Groupwise"--- if Sprint and/or Seven says that they do support this config, then it is their burden to fix your problem- sounds like you've configured everything okay.

Phil
  13. JWC
    Can anyone confirm phildro's suspicion that the Outlook link to GroupWise's calendar is my problem? Anyone using BC sucessfully with a Novell server?

I know I read somewhere that someone was doing it, but I can't find it right now. I could certainly believe that was the problem, but on the other hand my calendar info appears in both GroupWise and Outlook fine. They appear to be exchanging that info without any problems - if it is making it to Outlook, you would think it is in a format the BC could handle.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Check out the other discussions on Groupwise here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/searc...earchid=170130 -- pretty sure these discussions verify my concern that BC doesn't support Groupwise, even if it is through Outlook. I *STILL* could be wrong--

In the threads I read, there were several options available to Groupwise users, such as a PQA, Groupwise Webaccess, POP3 and IMAP access as well. Don't think these will get your calendar, and not the optimal solution perhaps.

I'll keep checking and see if there are any further tidbits I can find. Can you get POP3 or IMAP access, or ask your mail admins if there exists a Groupwise PQA? Search the threads for more info if you are interested.

Could save you the monthly charge $$$ on BC.
    Phildro - That link does not seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Check out the other discussions on Groupwise here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/searc...earchid=170130 -- pretty sure these discussions verify my concern that BC doesn't support Groupwise, even if it is through Outlook. I *STILL* could be wrong--

In the threads I read, there were several options available to Groupwise users, such as a PQA, Groupwise Webaccess, POP3 and IMAP access as well. Don't think these will get your calendar, and not the optimal solution perhaps.

I'll keep checking and see if there are any further tidbits I can find. Can you get POP3 or IMAP access, or ask your mail admins if there exists a Groupwise PQA? Search the threads for more info if you are interested.

Could save you the monthly charge $$$ on BC.
    This has been an interesting thread with a lot of details provided and lots of good advice from Phildro. Unfortunately the net-net will likely be that is not a supported configuration however some have got the email portion to work. The calendar and contacts are likely never to work in this version at least but the email portion may have a solution. If anyone else can get a positive confirmation on the Calendar / Contact using the same configuration then that would be useful to help debug those areas.

Here's some comments / questions for each of your items below by number...

1. Re-Registering the device is always a quick and easy way to try and clear problems but in this case it had no effect.

2. A Firewall or Proxy can play a factor but likely not the issue here but more debugging described later may yield the answer.

3. It is odd that the Web based access works to get email at least. One important question is did you configure this connector separately from the Web side? (meaning did you setup a secondary connection like IMAP or is there only one connector configured?) What is the name of the connector on the left hand side of the Web interface under the buttons and is there only one listed?

4. Yep... those are all good checks... no need to keep registering as this is not the problem here.

Now for the good stuff... you described the exact symptoms of the desktop connector having problems when you see it do as you described.

At that moment, my desktop tray icon for BC always cycles from green (connected) to gray (not connected) to yellow (connecting) and back to green (connected).

So it communicates to the desktop and the connector has a problem. To debug this on your own you need to look at the slingshot.log file to start. Look in the slingshot.log file look for lines like the following... I just do a global search for Exiting.

Wed Oct 22 17:15:52 PDT 2003 (2888-2436): *** Exiting error : 0x00c0000005

Post the lines (4-5) that surround this statement and that may help diagnose it as well.

You will see this error if the desktop connector is crashing. It cycles back to Green because it is programmed to restart itself. If you don't see the Exiting message then look for the timestamped period when the connector cycled through its colors. This is a first start for debugging the problem

Now for some questions and possible suggestions / alternatives to try and get the email side syncing on the device.

1. I assume your desktop connector is configured via the Microsoft Excahnge Server Setting? You can check this via Tools -> Settings -> Messages. If so then you could try and configure the IMAP connector to talk to Groupwise if it is open to that type of connectivity, check with your IT folks. If you try this you should really try to re-register since you are switching connectors otherwise it may get confused. So that's alternative #1

2. Another alternative if you have IMAP access to the Groupwise server then you could configure a Web based IMAP connector. This connector only works if the server is open from the outside (Internet) via IMAP, something to check with IT of course or just try it. This would show up on your device as second account. This connector does not require the desktop to be running but is more limited in its features. Usually people use the Web based connectors for their alternate POP / IMAP accounts for example.

That should be enough to get you pointed in the direction of debugging the email portion. Also getting into the SEVEN Beta may give you some more direct help but you may get the same answers in terms of this configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by JWC
    Thanks for offering to help. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Yes, I have tried re-registering from the BC Client - several times.

2. My desktop is as stable and non-flaky as you could expect any Windows computer to be. I know next-to-nothing about firewalls and network workings, so all I can tell you is that I think I am behind a firewall. I have not focused on this being the problem, though, because I can see my mail when I log onto bc.sprintpcs.com. My thought has been that if there were a network/firewall issue (or even an Outlook/Novell issue, for that matter), I wouldn't be able to see my mail, mail folders, and My Documents folder on bc.sprintpcs.com. Somebody tell me if that is wrong and I will try to get more info on our firewall/network status.

3. I run Outlook 2002 SP-2. My company actually uses GroupWise. I learned from other posters here when I was trying to figure out what kind of smartphone/PDA to buy about using Outlook to connect to the Novell server so that BC would work - so I don't think I'm the first one to try it. (Again, someone tell me if I'm wrong.) It was actually (surprisingly) easy to set up. I just set up an account by choosing "Other Server Type" in the wizard and then it automatically brought up "Novell GroupWise Transport Provider" as a supported server type. I immediately had all my mail, sent items, saved items, contacts, etc. in Outlook. I delete in Outlook and it is gone in GroupWise. I move to another mailbox in Groupwise, it shows up there in Outlook. So, again, since this works localy AND I then see my mail fine on bc.sprintpcs.com, I assume the problem is not with this setup.

4. When I go to bc.sprintpcs.com and do Settings>Devices, my Treo is there. It is listed as Smart Device - [username] and then has my mobile number. Looks like it registered fine. I have regenerated the key on the Treo several times and it always ends fine.

I'll just elaborate on one more point that may help anyone out there trying to troubleshoot for me. When I try to synch my mail on the Treo it always starts out fine and says "Downloading server updates" or whatever. It usually cycles through for a minute or so and then I get my S7121 error. At that moment, my desktop tray icon for BC always cycles from green (connected) to gray (not connected) to yellow (connecting) and back to green (connected).

This is also exactly what happens when I am on bc.sprintpcs.com if I try to look at my calendar or contacts. Mail, mail folders, and My Documents work fine on web. But if I click on the button for calendar or contacts, I get a page telling me that I am not connected and the tray icon does the same thing noted above.

My interpretation of that is that my Treo starts out fine trying to get my mail but when it gets to the point in its sych where it is trying to get calendar stuff it gets kicked off because something is making my desktop disconnect. Make sense?

Thanks for anyone who can offer help based on this long list of info!
    I just had this problem today (error S7121), and a Sprint Tech was able to help me with it.

We narrowed the problem down to one specific email that the Biz Connect problem was rejecting and therefore the Treo was not able to sync. Once we deleted the specific email, the treo was able to sync as usual.

In my case, the email was a large email with photographs that Outlook had removed. I manually downloaded the photographs into outlook on my desktop, and this may have been the original cause of the problem.

All other steps (re-registering, resetting, etc...) seemed to have been in vain. Simply deleting the "bad" email solved the problem.

By the way, I also determined that if you are on the road and need to solve this problem, you can log on to your BC account at bc.sprintpcs.com and fix the problem. Simply check all new emails (try to open each). When you select one that seems to be a problem (the system will say that it can't connect to your desktop), delete it and then sign out. At that point you should be able to sync as usual. If you will need the email later, don't forget to remove it from your deleted items folder when you return to your desktop.

I hope this helps.
    BLG - Great debugging steps. One thing you can check is the slingshot.log file during the time period of the sync attempt. In there you'll likely see the "exiting" errors I have described above and in some other posts. I'll send you a Private message as well to see if you can forward me more details on that bad email as I am in the SEVEN Beta program and I'm sure they would like to know more about this bad email. There were a number of these that were fixed in 6.0.8 that were typically large "To:" address lists.