View Poll Results: Which Audio Device Do You Use for MP3s in the car?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • iRock

14 33.33%
  • Belkin

1 2.38%
  • Cassette Adapter

16 38.10%
  • TREO Speaker

3 7.14%
  • You don't listen to MP3s in the car

8 19.05%
  1.    #1  
    Quick Poll to see which is the most popular choice.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I started out with the irock... but the quality in the city was lacking (it was hard to find an empty signal). So i switched to the cassette adapter.
    I tried the Belkin. Worked great for a while except that I'd forget to turn it off and drain the battery. But it developed a high pitched squeal that drove me crazy! So I tried the iRock which is DC powered and my outlets turn off when I turn my car off so I don't have to remember to turn this off. Not as good sounding as the Belkin (before it went bad) in my opinion (some songs just sound really bad and muffled, "s" sounds like a hiss most of the time, and it switches in and out of stereo mode frequently, as indicated by the display in my car)...but it works for now until someone comes up with an AUX adapter for my car.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  4.    #4  
    I have the same problem with iRock. 88.1-88.7 all have radiuo stations here in Connecticut (which is surprising). The quality is good when I position the iRock next to the face of the radio. My next purchase will be a phone mount for the car. I may also try the low budget method of the radio shack adjustable headphone extender ($6) since I have to cassette adapters lying around.
    I use a MuzicVault from mptronix

http://www.mptronix.com

It's a well-designed mp3 player that uses the PalmOS device as a controller. It has many options and even a passthrough audio feed for my garmin iQue.

I use the treo as a controller and when I need nav, I switch to the Garmin.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieJ
    I use a direct input to my stereo's CD changer input. $80 from RCAInput.com. Not especially cheap, not remotely transportable between vehicles, requires some technical expertise to install - but no exposed cables and produces KILLER sound.

tdh
    no option for hard wired input or even head unit audio inputs...
    Will
    I have an empeg (Rio Car) in my Jetta.. it's probably the best in-car mp3 player ever made.. and nothing has come close, and probably will not for years to come.. it's too bad they discontinued the thing, and planed no folowup product. (yes, I paid the original retail price for mine.. $1300, ouch.. but so worth every penny)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieJ
    So quick it doesn't have an "other" option. I have empegs.
    Alpine CDA-9813! ;-)
    Not for music (Gaggggg), but it works nice for audio books!!!!
    Have had the most success with the iRock.

Bought a strong, magnet-based cell phone holder at an airport mobile store and it is much less clunky than the "mounting solutions" I've seen. Magnet is unobtrusive & sticks to the dash. Holds Treo very securely.

Be careful of the cheap cassette adapters and FM transmitters under approx. $25.
    Went through a couple of those not working until the iRock.

Although... just checked out the Seidio...hmmm

By the way -- the big drawback with the iRock is that I can't juice up the Treo while it is transmitting due to the awful interference it causes. Any idea how the Seidio or others handle this?
    Seidio has interference if you charge the same time you are transmitting. (a hissing sound). It's only real bad at loud volumes. Someone in another thread said it was from a lack of grounding.
    I believe what you are all referring to is called a ground loop. You can do a search on Google and see if you can find a way to solve your problems.
    Other: AudiaX - http://www.mp3playerstore.com/buy_it_now__/audiaX.htm

I needed more choices for FM frequency because I'm close to NYC. It has worked well so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    Seidio has interference if you charge the same time you are transmitting. (a hissing sound). It's only real bad at loud volumes. Someone in another thread said it was from a lack of grounding.
    Radio Shack has 'em for $16. It's what I use.

tdh