1.    #1  
    Hello, I have never owned a handheld of any sort before and just recently bought a treo 600. It has cingular as the carrier. A couple questions...

For the cingular users, what is your outgoing mail server address and how fast is it? I have not gotten anything to work and cingular sure does not help at all!!!

Can you reassign those shortcut buttons on the treo? The one that looks like the mail program (envelope to the right of the arrows) is actually some kind of text messaging thing and I would like it to link to the mail program.

Which program should I get to open excel and word files and are any of them free?

Also when I tried to sync the treo up to outlook to get the contacts folder, it somehow deleted them from outlook. Luckily they are still on the treo but how do I get them back to outlook? Also I tried to get the numbers from the old phone (motorola v120) onto the treo but I am stuck at the point where they are saved on my desktop in a (I believe)csv format. I want to import them into outlook to then sync with the treo but I am having no luck.. any suggestions?

Another problem with the contacts... The contacts seem to have both the email address and the phone numbers listed there with the name. However, when I go into the phone and press the down key to view the contacts, I see a bunch of things saying "unnamed" How do I get the numbers into the phone directory for quicker dialing?

Another issue was sending myself an email with an attachment.. It just showed a red x inside the picture box but then oddly enough when I got to where the picture was supposed to be, I clicked the internet www thing and went to a website. Then I clicked back and voila the picture was there now. Weird!!!

Basically I want to be able to effectively get my email and download it quickly while being able to view excel and word files. Wow! I know that was a lot of questions and I have tried to search the site before asking all these questions. Thanks for any help. Nathan
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanW
    Can you reassign those shortcut buttons on the treo? The one that looks like the mail program (envelope to the right of the arrows) is actually some kind of text messaging thing and I would like it to link to the mail program.
    Tap on "Prefs", use the drop-down at the top to go to "Buttons". Reassign at will.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
  3.    #3  
    Ok thank you. That worked. I guess it takes a little more exploring for some of these features. Does anyone else know much about any of the other things?
    Two programs you may wish to purcahse are :

1. http://www.intellisync.com/is_desktop_main.html
    (Intellisynch sends data between the Palm DeskTop, Treo600, Outlook, & several other PIM-Personal Information Manager programs)

2. http://www.dataviz.com/
    (Dataviz makes Documents to Go for reading the MS Office suite files (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc...) on your palm device
    At the risk of getting into trouble again, I am going to throw out my standard solution to some, not all of your questions.

RTFM!!

The paper version that should have come with your treo is the same as the PDF version on the cd that also came with your treo.

Again I know this POV is risky, but if you have never owned any kind of handheld didn't it seem logical to look through the manual? Then again maybe logic doesnt exist in your world. Running into that alot lately.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Hello, I have never owned a handheld of any sort before and just recently bought a treo 600. It has cingular as the carrier. A couple questions...

For the cingular users, what is your outgoing mail server address and how fast is it? I have not gotten anything to work and cingular sure does not help at all!!!
    use photo.mycingular.com as your SMTP server..GSM (cingular / at&t / t-mobile) provider's data connections are definitely slower compared to the CDMA (sprint) version. But GSM is a worldwide standard ... "fast" is a relative term. Send emails with the above SMTP address and gauge for yourself.

Also when I tried to sync the treo up to outlook to get the contacts folder, it somehow deleted them from outlook. Luckily they are still on the treo but how do I get them back to outlook? Also I tried to get the numbers from the old phone (motorola v120) onto the treo but I am stuck at the point where they are saved on my desktop in a (I believe)csv format. I want to import them into outlook to then sync with the treo but I am having no luck.. any suggestions?
    If you are sure it is only in the Treo and you want it in outlook. In the hotsync advanced options for contacts , choose Handheld replaces Desktop.

Another problem with the contacts... The contacts seem to have both the email address and the phone numbers listed there with the name. However, when I go into the phone and press the down key to view the contacts, I see a bunch of things saying "unnamed" How do I get the numbers into the phone directory for quicker dialing?
    I believe it lists last name, first name by default in the contacts section of the phone app. Are the ones that come as "unamed" entries that don't have first name or last name but a company name?.

I want to echo another fellow treoian's sentiment. RTFM... there is lots and lots of info for a novice user in the manual and on these message boards.