Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I called on Saturday and recieved the supposedly new unit yesterday. Initial charge and all seems to work fine. This is my 4th replacement.
    when i received the first replacement unit, it looked new and the life timer was zero. but it does not mean it is a brand new thou. it is hard to know if it is a brand new unit since my first replacement unit was "born" after my original treo.

i just hope i would get the 2nd replacement unit with 1000000 mins on the life timer
    Just want to add my experience here. I purchased a Treo 600 from Verizon on Saturday. Sunday returned it with a broken screen (black line). Monday got another replacement - would not hotsync. It is Thursday and I still have Monday's unit so I guess there are some out there that aren't broke from the factory.

I have written a letter to both Verizon and Palm, but I doubt it is going to do much good. Verizon refuses to give people in the stores the ability to do their job, and Palm seems to have watched the movie "Disclosure" a few too many times and figured out how to save money on manufacturing.
    100thMonkey: what;s wrong of ur previous 3 treos?
    i am going to get on my 2nd replacement. but seems i expect to get a 4th one too because i am getting an OLD treo (oct 2003).. geez
    replacement #2 came just after lunch. So far so good:

no buzzing in my ear (issue with replacement #1)
    speakerphone seems to work (issue with original)
    IR port works (issue with original)
    no semicircle extending out from the left hand side of the screen (issue with original)

Only downside is the screen isn't as bright as my original and has the blue tint (same with replacement #1), but I figure I'll be putting it up on ebay once the 650 is available
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    replacement #2 came just after lunch. So far so good:

no buzzing in my ear (issue with replacement #1)
    speakerphone seems to work (issue with original)
    IR port works (issue with original)
    no semicircle extending out from the left hand side of the screen (issue with original)

Only downside is the screen isn't as bright as my original and has the blue tint (same with replacement #1), but I figure I'll be putting it up on ebay once the 650 is available
    what is your mfg date on ur 2nd replacement unit?
    is it newer than your first replacement and the original one?
    My second replacement should be here shortly this morning, called in on Saturday and out for Delivery from DHL today. From looking at the serial number listed in my email from palm it was manufactured the 29th week of 2004 so hoping it's new (or close to it)
    Yep.

Original and replacement #1 were both end of november 2003

Yep.

Original and replacement #1 were both end of november 2003
    thanks. did not notice on your earlier post about the mfg date.
    good for you since week 29 is in mid-july.
    I wonder if I got your unit since the 2nd replacement's mfg date is sometime in 2003. LOL

edit: i just called PalmOne and wanted to get an answer from the CSR why I am getting an unit which is 6 months older than my original purchase one.

the CSR said: 'It is a very special unit, because it was tested so you would not need to call back for other issues'.

I almost wanted to ask 'so, i got the 1st replacement which was not tested completely'??
    but i did not.

Then, she said, 'The unit was mfg in Oct 2003 which it does not mean being used for 9 months. Just like it was mfg in oct 2003, and it is new to be used now'. I find it is hard to believe what she said. but if the tech put the new battery in the unit, i might be ok with that.

Q: is there any ways I could call the PalmOne HQ or is there a special phone number I can call to speak with the tech or some high up mgmt in United States (i believe their call center is in off-shore)??

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by superfire; 10/07/2004 at 06:51 PM.
    Sure, look at the Serial Number of your treo on the back of the phone or on the Phone Info screen when wireless mode is on.

For example, let's say the serial number was HAGAD4251A0T8

Look at the numbers after the first 5 letters:
    1st digit "4" = 2004
    2nd and 3rd digits "25" = 25th week
    4th digit "1" = the first day of the week, Monday (I assume they don't work on Sundays)

There's a thread around here called something like "When was your Treo born" that might describe in more detail.
    wow, then mine was freshly made

4 36 7, Jeez, September 4th I guess. That's fresh
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    lucky you.
    someone said if the SN has a 'R', it is a refurb unit. can anyone confirm this?
    also, my 1st replacement does not ahve a 'R' in the SN', but the 2nd one (coming tomorrow) does have a 'R' in the SN.
    may be i just keep calling them and get replacement until i get the one it works and i like to keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    lucky you.
    someone said if the SN has a 'R', it is a refurb unit. can anyone confirm this?
    also, my 1st replacement does not ahve a 'R' in the SN', but the 2nd one (coming tomorrow) does have a 'R' in the SN.
    may be i just keep calling them and get replacement until i get the one it works and i like to keep.
    Not sure that's the case. Replacement #1 for me didn't have an R in it and it was definitely a refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlitz
    Back when my company was the repair and logistics distributer for Treo 180/270, (the 300s were repaired and shipped in bulk to Sprint directly) we fully charged every returned phone to 100%, ran full testing diagnostics, used a stylus to run through all the initial screens, tested the radio (what the "phone" part was called), cosmetically cleaned it or replaced plastics with new plastics, then had someone look at every unit for the ability to turn on and for the screen to look good.

We replaced a lot of screens, logic boards, batteries, speakers, etc. with new parts from the factory. A lot of these brand-new parts also failed. But, every unit that we pulled out to audit for repair quality after the final testing worked correctly at that time.

I was always baffled at seeing the same person with 3 or 4 returns. (this was rare!) Was it bad luck? Was it a gorilla for a delivery driver? I myself still have my original 300 with no problems and have had 1 replaced 600 (for known battery issue - dropped calls on battery, no problems when connected to sync cable). My replacement unit works fine.

All of the various computer systems to manage the repair process are supposed to be connected, but that's a stretch. The reality is that we had to force the system to be inflexible in order to meet our customer's requirements for double-checking orders and other various problems that occur in the fulfillment business.

I know this doesn't help anyone out, but in reality, most people receive a good, refurbished replacement unit in a short amount of time.
    i just hope PalmOne's service center handles the Treo600 like what your previous company did / does.

i hope they would put the new battery in the treo600 thou.
  12.    #92  
    So here's an update. I'll be going on my 9th replacement now. Yay.

TheHandlessKing

The kicker? They don't have record of my first 4 replacements anymore. So, I've only replaced the unit 5 times in the system. Which is still way too much.
    Lucky you number 9? Sheesh I'm on number 12!!!
    have ya'll gotten any new handsets? The new one I received for number 5 is working really well
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Lucky you number 9? Sheesh I'm on number 12!!!
    Look here buddy, this is MY sympathy thread.

TheHandlessKing
    My replacement unit is coming soon. I really don't want one of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. replacements discussed in this thread! A replacement is like a box of chocolates....
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    My replacement unit is coming soon. I really don't want one of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. replacements discussed in this thread! A replacement is like a box of chocolates....
    good luck... but again, you can keep calling back the palmone and get another replacement if the 1st replacement does not work.
    Got my 5th (I lost count already) replacement 3 weeks ago. The replacement screen had such a bad blue tint, especially visible at the natural viewing angle (and alternating between blue and white at the slightest change in viewing angle), that I made a complaint and returned it after 1 day.

Got my 6th replacement a week later and 2 things I immediately noticed about the screen:

1. My screen now has a slight yellowish tint at the natural viewing angle (as opposed to the horrid blue tint on the 5th replacement). Although not fully happy with it compared to the bright white screen on my 4th replacement, I can live with it. Blue tint washes out colours more than the yellow tint.

2. Remember the 3 or 4 dotted yellow lights (ie. the screen backlight) right underneath the screen casing on the the right side of the Treo 600? To my surprise, the 6th replacement did not have any visible dotted backlights at all. I wonder if others have noticed this, since I have not seen any comments on these threads regarding this. Can't just be my unit I suppose. Everything's working fine on my 6th replacement.
    Can you call Palm to get a replacement even if it's purchased from Sprint ?
    Well I just got my 4th treo.
    Refurb, PalmOne Branded. It feels much more sturdy, no creaking, the screen is bright, the camera still sucks.
    Hardware Rev B, and it seems ok.
    Only time will tell.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast