1.    #1  
    A warning to those who try using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 or the interim 4.1.2 version.

You may be tempted to go to 4.1.4 because its the latest version or you may be tempted to install it because you bought a new Zire and you also have a Treo 600 and want to synch both.

Here's the rub:
    1. If you use Palm Desktop to store your personal data AND you were using Palm Desktop 4.1 or earlier version, Palm Desktop 4.1.4 will update your calendar, contacts and To Dos to a newer file format when you upgrade. It does not tell you that it does this, it just goes ahead and makes the format change. The reason is that the newer handhelds have the extended PIM applications that allow multiple addresses, birthdays etc to be added to the records.

2. You cannot sync with the Treo 600 using the driver for USB in Palm Desktop 4.1.4. The version of palmusbd.sys in this desktop does not include the Treo 600 drivers.

So the upshot is that you will revert to Palm Desktop 4.1 and when you try to open your Palm Desktop you will see an error message on three of your data files saying that Palm Desktop could not open the files. You may also see a message in the HotSync log saying it could not synch your To Dos and that your hard disk may be full.

You are now in Catch-22 land. Your only rescue option that I can think of is to re-install PD 4.1.4, export all your PIM data for calendar, contacts and To Dos, Memos to CSV files. Uninstall 4.1.4. Reinstall 4.1. Delete your username. Then synch. (You could skip the export if you know the handheld data is good and can be writen back to the PC).

It took me a while to figure out what the issue was. Anyone else seen this? or have any bright ideas about how to synch a Treo 600 and a Zire 72 on the same PD install?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    OK you lost me I am using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 with my Treo 600, no problems here!
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    OK you lost me I am using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 with my Treo 600, no problems here!
    Ditto..
    Dennis G. Esler
  4.    #4  
    Are you a Palm Desktop user? How did you get the drivers to HotSync with the Treo? Did you swap the palmusbd.sys file and INI file to the older version with the Treo 600?

My experience was that PD 4.1.4 from the palmOne website would not synchronize with Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I had to uninstall the Treo version of the Palm Desktop, use the usb driver removal tool from the palm website and then install version 4.1.4 and it works fine (although no picture sync but who cares I can use resco to get them off if I ever want the crappy quality pics)!!!
    What is the advantage to using 4.14?
    Hello, I have been scouring the internet and sites like this one for the answer to this question: "Can palm desktop 4.1.4 (or 4.1.2) be used with the treo600?"

Specifically I have a Tungsten E and desktop 4.1.2 on a Windows XP computer but I would like to upgrade to a Treo 600 with VerizonWireless.

I've read many places that the desktop 4.1.4 and Treo 600 are NOT compatible, however, in June of 2004, joele and scouter075 said that they are compatible. I've spent hours trying to get them to work using all combinations of installing, uninstalling, removing from the system by resetting windows to an earlier date, putting the Treo software on then the palm 4.1.4 software on, moving things out of different folders. At this point, I have desktop 4.1.2 on, the Treo software is NOT in the WindowsXP computer, and I am wondering if anyone could advise me on how to proceed.

Joele had previously said: "I had to uninstall the Treo version of the Palm Desktop, use the usb driver removal tool from the palm website and then install version 4.1.4 and it works fine"

What is the "usb driver removal tool", and how is it used?

Thank you very much in advance for all your help.

And to add my contribution, kschoenberg asked in 6/04, "what is the advantage of 4.1.4?" and the answer is (for 4.1.2 and 4.1.4) among other things, you have the ability to give different events category names that are color-coded. I have my husband's work schedule in Red and my work schedule in blue. We work off of different user profiles (actually on different computers, but it would work the same on the same computer). When I want to tell him what my work schedule, I just beam him the category "adelaide work" and he gets my schedule without extraneous things he doesn't need to know like "buy husband a present".

Thanks again for your help.