1.    #1  
    I know there have been other threads on water damage but I think the ones I'm looking for were deleted in the The Great TC Crash a few months ago. And I'm not sure if it's water damage I have so I thought I'd run it by eveyone and hear other's thoughts.

I was vacationing in sunny FLA and rented out a waverider (i.e. a jet ski you sit on). When I got done, my bathing suit was just slighlty damp from whatever water got splashed on me while riding. I had not been swimming. I in no way considered them to be wet - just slightly damp as if I had been swimming hours earlier and the trunks had dried up. Anyway, I had left my 600 on shore to keep it safe - so when I got back I checked my messages and it was working fine. I put it in the HS case that comes with it and put it into my pocket and went for a walk to get something to eat. When I pulled it out after lunch, the case was now a little damp but in no way soaked or saturated. When I tried to use the Treo though - the keys went crazy.

I've noticed that in between the keys there appears to be what is most likely sand (or possibly dried up salt?). I've been using compressed air to get it out and most of the keys have improved but they're still occassionally getting funky. The biggest problem is that the only way I can get the Treo to activate the screen is to either remove or insert an SD card. In other words, the off button still turns the screen off but won't turn it back on. Could there have been, between the heat (mid to upper 90's) and the dampness, enough moisture to infiltrate the unit and cause these problems? For crying out loud, my shorts were less wet than if I had been out in the rain with the Treo in my pocket. Could it be sand?

The unit I have was already a refurb for the Red X problem. I do not have the insurance and don't know if I should try to fix it myself or first try to bring it back to Sprint and say this refurb went crazy on me. Should I open it up first and see if I can clean out the insides? I know opening the unit voids the warranty but is there really anyway they would know? I can't find the thread on opening a 600 and I'm guessing the TC Crash got it. Anyone know? Do the Sprint reps open up the Treo to check for water damage? I can't imagine that there would be any discernible signs inside it but I guess there could be dried up salt or sand (whatever is in the keys). I can still make calls on it and was thinking of calling Sprint up to get the insurance added as well.

Any experienced advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I still can't believe this is happening. It's not like I dropped in the crapper. They were just damp!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Sand is the kryptonite for all electronics.

I'd call sprint and get the insurance in case the phone completely craps out on you (it'll take 25 days before the insurance goes into effect). Then take it apart and see if you can clean it.

Bummer.
    Last edited by demoflauchy; 06/17/2004 at 03:43 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Sand??? I've opened servers - perfectly running servers - that have their insides completely covered with dust. You could literally etch your name on the circuit board in it with your finger. What is so special about sand?
    Dust is not a rock. Dust is light and "rests" on items. Sand is heavy and gets "in" items/circuits.

Sand is small rocks, and while it appears harmless, it gets everywhere. Once you've exposed a gadget to sand, as intricate as the 600 -- or any other electronic item, you rarely can ever get rid of it.
    @Bob-C

I know there have been other threads on water damage but I think the ones I'm looking for were deleted in the The Great TC Crash a few months ago. And I'm not sure if it's water damage I have so I thought I'd run it by eveyone and hear other's thoughts.

I was vacationing in sunny FLA and rented out a waverider (i.e. a jet ski you sit on). When I got done, my bathing suit was just slighlty damp from whatever water got splashed on me while riding. I had not been swimming. I in no way considered them to be wet - just slightly damp as if I had been swimming hours earlier and the trunks had dried up. Anyway, I had left my 600 on shore to keep it safe
    It is entirely possible that while left on shore, sand did get into it. If I am following you correctly, you dont say whether or not it was left on shore covered up.

- so when I got back I checked my messages and it was working fine. I put it in the HS case that comes with it and put it into my pocket and went for a walk to get something to eat. When I pulled it out after lunch, the case was now a little damp but in no way soaked or saturated. When I tried to use the Treo though - the keys went crazy.
    Most electronic devices dont like excessive heat/cold, moisture. It is very possible that moisture built up inside of it when you placed it in the HS case.

I've noticed that in between the keys there appears to be what is most likely sand (or possibly dried up salt?).
    See above

I've been using compressed air to get it out and most of the keys have improved but they're still occassionally getting funky. The biggest problem is that the only way I can get the Treo to activate the screen is to either remove or insert an SD card. In other words, the off button still turns the screen off but won't turn it back on. Could there have been, between the heat (mid to upper 90's) and the dampness, enough moisture to infiltrate the unit and cause these problems? For crying out loud, my shorts were less wet than if I had been out in the rain with the Treo in my pocket. Could it be sand?
    Based on your own word, this is what it sounds like.

The unit I have was already a refurb for the Red X problem. I do not have the insurance and don't know if I should try to fix it myself or first try to bring it back to Sprint and say this refurb went crazy on me.
    Or you could take it to the Sprint store and dummy down all that you've told us. Simply tell them you were WALKING on the beach. Leave all reference to water, jet skies, sand, out of the story.

Should I open it up first and see if I can clean out the insides? I know opening the unit voids the warranty but is there really anyway they would know? I can't find the thread on opening a 600 and I'm guessing the TC Crash got it. Anyone know? Do the Sprint reps open up the Treo to check for water damage? I can't imagine that there would be any discernible signs inside it but I guess there could be dried up salt or sand (whatever is in the keys). I can still make calls on it and was thinking of calling Sprint up to get the insurance added as well.
    Sometimes they do, especially when externally they cant find anything wrong.

Any experienced advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I still can't believe this is happening. It's not like I dropped in the crapper. They were just damp!
    Again, dummy down your story....leave all reference to water, sand, DAMPNESS, jet skies..........OUT!

G'luck and let us know how you make out.

Edited: Love your avatar
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  6.    #6  
    Well no matter what I do I will definitely leave all reference to water, sand, etc out. It'll be more like, "This refurb you gave me went berzerk."

It just drives me crazy that it could be sand. A million other people bring their $100 cell phones to the beach and I've never heard anyone say that sand took their cell phone out. Especially being that I left the Treo in a gym bag back on the beach. If sand is in it, it's from whatever little dried up in my trunks and worked it's way into the Treo. That's not what I would expect to be enough to take out a cell phone. Or at the very least - any OTHER type of cell phone. I worry about even using the 600 in the rain or having it in my pocket during the rain. Either one would cause what I would expect to be more water risk than what I did. This really sucks.

BTW, thanks for the avatar comment.
  7.    #7  
    I called up Sprint last night and added the insurance. I called up *2 after 9 PM and the Sprint rep transferred me to an automated menu. It made enter in my phone number and then called me back to verify the phone worked. Luckily all the numeric keys on the phone are working properly. The # sign key made a little nervous. But the coverage won't go into effect for 20 days. So I gotta endure the keys' m=z and p doesn't work type quirks for awhile.

In the meantime, I might take it apart and try to clean it up. For what little I did to it, there can't be much to clean. I wish I could find the thread where someone had already done it but I think it's gone from the crash. Has anyone done it and have details on cracking open the shell?
    Let me add my 2 cents.

Firstly, silicon is basically purified beach sand. Sand is NOT dust. And if you didn't know, silicon is used in microprocessors

Also, salt water can damage any electronic unit. Heavily salty water like from the ocean would not do your treo any favours. The problem is the salt/sand solution in your damp shorts might have seeped into the unit through the keyboard and created a film over the PCB (printed circuit board) of the treo. Once the water dried up, it left the salt/sand concentrate film on the PCB, which probably shorted a few circuits and blocked or open-circuited certain other circuits (like your on/off) switch.

solution? lie your *** off to Sprint and tell them it was just a faulty unit. hopefully they won't open it to check and even if they do, they might think the refurb unit was crap anyway.
  9.    #9  
    The film theory on the board sounds very likely to me. I really want to crack the 600 open, disconnect the battery, clean with alochol, and then dry it out. However, there appears to be two rubber seals on the back plate of the Treo that I think have screws underneath them that need to be removed first. I'm guessing that once their popped out though, that the seals cannot be put back in. Thus, Sprint would be able to tell that I opened the unit. Does anyone know?

I still want to take it back to Sprint saying the refurb went haywire to see if they'll just replace it. So I don't want risk voiding the warranty by them knowing I cracked it open.
    don't bother opening it. the unit is a goner. if you're not careful with an expensive phone, well...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    don't bother opening it. the unit is a goner. if you're not careful with an expensive phone, well...
    My unit has been resurrected. I used the isopropyl alcohol trick mentioned in the thread where Geeky Mom had success. Following her instructions, I turned the cell receiver and screen off. I did not open the unit nor did I drain the battery to zero. I left it enclosed and powered. Then I used an eye dropper to put some alcohol in each key on my unit that had stopped working or had problems. Then I held the unit upside down and started pushing the keys. The first time I tried this, I made the mistake of turning the unit back on a few minutes later and it went crazy again. I turned it back off and gave it some more alcohol and worked the keys again. This time I left it alone the rest of the night.

The next day two of the four keys were working again at 100% and two were now working sporadically. By the end of the day though, they were all non-functional again. So I applied even more alcohol, very liberally, at the end of the night and worked the keys again but this time I left it off until morning. Low and behold, I've gone 3 days now and EVERYTHING is working normally on my 600 again! Just goes to show what I've always said: Alcohol solves all problems - don't let anyone tell you different my friend!

Guess I won't have to use the insurance policy after all. Hope this helps someone else.