Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I also downloaded the "over the air" update. I did have to do this twice, but it worked fine. A very cool feature but it would be nice if it told us what bugs it fixes I too can't figure it out - all seems the same.
    BUTTERCUP
    I wouldn't get distressed about not knowing what they fixed. With beta software, (and all software really) there's always room for improvement in the code - perhaps they cleaned it up a bit, noticed memory issues that we may not have noticed, etc.

I ran the over the air update, no problems, took about a minute on sprint.
    I was out fishing and the verichat OTA asked me did I wanna install the ugraded version. Install was smooth. NOW THAT'S SERVICE!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    If you sign off from Verichat and you do a soft reset and switch on the phone, Verichat will still try to connect back to its Servers (using the non-SMS always on feature). This causes unnecessary data charges.Hopefully PDAapps can fix this.
    I've got versioin 2.15b but when I try to check for a new version, it says no newer version of verichat is available. Anyone else encounter this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    I've got versioin 2.15b but when I try to check for a new version, it says no newer version of verichat is available. Anyone else encounter this?
    It did this for me until I actually signed on to AIM.

The when while signed on I checked for updates and it worked.
    I'm not too happy with this new version. Kills my batteries and for some reason could not conenct to IM server most of yesterday. All other data services worked perfectly.

Where can I download the old version?
    You can still get the old version on the Pda Apps website for now... Just click download trial.

Has anyone noticed that verichat doesn't allow you to accept im's without the person being on your friend's list? This means someone not on your friends list can see you, but when they message you it never gets to you...

It gives the impression that you are ignoring them. I just discovered this....
    Here is what I would LOVE in an IM service.

I had a Hiptop. You could be out of range, or turn it off and when you would turn it back on it would resynch and get all of the IMs sent while you were out of range or turned off. Doesn't seem like this is so hard to do? It's not even really in the palm client, it's how the IM server operates. Maybe chatter does this? I can't really use chatter, though, without decimating my battery.

With the Hiptop, Wf you wanted to, you could stay logged in for weeks on end (yeah AIM only, and that kind of sucked). I didn't care much for the HipTop -- it was useless as a phone and there were only a few useful apps, but it definitely handled IM better than anything else I've tried on the Treo.

The other thing I would LOVE is for an IM client to give you the choice to send ONLY ONE SMS when you have outstanding messages in IM. then it is your choice whether to log in and converse with the other people. You wouldn't have to be subjected to receiving a new SMS message each time someone had something else to type. My friends paste entire articles into IM sometimes and then I have to sit there and see it cut up into 10 smaller sms messages. LOL. Makes me nuts.
    I think you would have to be constantly connected for that to happen. SMS only works one way. It might be possible to make it so you could retreieve the messages if you logged in and missed the sms, but not when you just turned it back on...

I too had a hiptop and loved it, but the phone features really weren't good enough for me. I would think that if they ever build a Treo for nextel we might get reliability for sms like that...
    If they can't do the SMS thing, they MUST be able to improve the time that the server keeps you logged in. It seems like this new version of verichat is always trying to stay alive with a data connection in the background. the old one didn't appear to do that.

I never even used the phone on my hiptop. i think maybe I used it in one emergency.

when i got it, they didn't even have a phone number in my area. my area code was about 100 miles away from where I live. as i said, i didn't care because i didn't use the phone.

still, between the verizon plan, sidekick and t-mobile hotspot plan, i spent a lot more than I spend on just the Treo thru Sprint and that's with 2000 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    If they can't do the SMS thing, they MUST be able to improve the time that the server keeps you logged in. It seems like this new version of verichat is always trying to stay alive with a data connection in the background. the old one didn't appear to do that.

I never even used the phone on my hiptop. i think maybe I used it in one emergency.

when i got it, they didn't even have a phone number in my area. my area code was about 100 miles away from where I live. as i said, i didn't care because i didn't use the phone.

still, between the verizon plan, sidekick and t-mobile hotspot plan, i spent a lot more than I spend on just the Treo thru Sprint and that's with 2000 minutes.

Why don't you just use the SMS mode of connectivity in VeriChat? With 2.17 it appears to behave almost like 1.9 did, with all the new features.
    I do that and it doesn't help. It is always trying to re-establish a data connection even with SMS mode in use. Definitely uses more battery now.

I'm back to the older version.
    Whenever I try to enter my sms email address, it is unable to reach the Verichat authentication server. Anybody else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead
    Whenever I try to enter my sms email address, it is unable to reach the Verichat authentication server. Anybody else having this problem?

keep trying. it took me several attempts b4 i was successful.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I am so unhappy with this new version and Verichat in general. Chatter is out for me as my battery can never make it through a full day staying online.

Always on should mean always on. I would pay 5x the amount for something reliable. At least post what they mean by always on? Is it 30 minutes? 60 minutes? Why do I always disconnect? I am never out of a coverage area.
    I emailed PDAAPPS about always on not working, they were surprised. They asked a bunch of questions.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    They were surprised? I guess they don't do much beta testing.

Disconnected after 20 minutes today. Four bar coverage.

Also, this version conflicts with PDAnet, even if you use the away message.

Anyone try Mundu? Any good? I'm itching to spend some money on a better solution.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    well I had someone who is on my buddy list try to send me an im today. I wasn't logged into AIM so I just received the standard sms becuase I have it set up that way through aim. I then logged on to aim through verichat and for some reason it wasn't showing my friend who just im'ed me as being on line. I knew he was so I just found his name under those who verichat said was not online and im'ed him. I got the message saying he was not online, but then he im'ed me right back. we continued out conversation until I could waslk to my computer and log on there. Never once did verichat show that he was on line even after logging in and out multiple times figureing it just needed to update the list. I am a little dissapointed now.
    I don't exactly feel this is there best version, but they are responsive to bug reports. Maybe they'll rethink auto updating so quick and we'll wait to set it to auto update until it's been tested by some early adopters first or at least people who are in front of there computers and not on the road where they'll have trouble making adjustments.

I'd be careful taking this version into any roaming areas or on the fringes of coverage without deactivating. You'll run into mucho problems and have trouble using the phone.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with verichat's old version This one'll be great when they fix it...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast