Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    What would you say about a little rear view mirror?

I think I might be able to make one out of a dentist's mirror (the kind they use to look behind your teeth).

Then the screen could be facing you and the camera as well. I guess we really could use the treo for video conferencing with something like that.
    I don't get it. Why go through the trouble of using your Treo as a webcam if it can only be done while attached to your PC? How in the world do you mount it? Buy a cradle? So what; buy a webcam with the same money. Then it's always at your computer ready to go.

Great idea, but I already have a webcam that is always attached to my computer. It's not worth it for the Treo without the ability to set up a video stream wirelessly. Granted, such an app would be a bit of a technical feat. You'd have to put the server component on the Palm instead of the PC, then somehow plug into an existing web page hosted elsewhere or else serve up the page on the Treo.

Wireless web server, anyone?
    I already have two cradles (home and work). Any self-respecting Treo owner has at least one. While it does angle down, during my demo, I simply propped up the bottom of the cradle to angle the camera correctly...

A web server is a very tiny app. Has anyone ever written a web server for Palm OS? [Found one: http://httpdpalm.sourceforge.net/] I think the issue would be more in having the processing power to serve the animated jpgs?

And then, how would you direct someone TO your Treo to view the images?
    Last edited by dune; 06/17/2004 at 03:32 PM.
    Ever since I've owned the 600, I cant say that I've taken 5 decent pictures out of 20. That being said, as long as the treo camera produces such shoddy images, how can one become excited by its uses as a webcam?

Enlighten me people.....
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Ever since I've owned the 600, I cant say that I've taken 5 decent pictures out of 20. That being said, as long as the treo camera produces such shoddy images, how can one become excited by its uses as a webcam?

Enlighten me people.....
    The quality coming from the webcam was surprisingly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by dune
    And then, how would you direct someone TO your Treo to view the images?
    If it were a streaming video application, you would direct them to your Treo's IP address. I don't recall at the moment how to determine your Treo's IP address but it is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    If it were a streaming video application, you would direct them to your Treo's IP address. I don't recall at the moment how to determine your Treo's IP address but it is possible.
    I have to assume that all wireless data connections are behind some kind of NAT or Proxy, no?

If I use whatismyip.com on my Treo, I get 68.28.251.106 - anyone else get the same IP (Sprint PCS). If that's the case, then you won't be able to send web traffic directly TO your device. If it's a direct connection, then no problem...

BTW, when I run httpd.prc (which doesn't work... ) it reports that it is listening on 68.243.234.16.
    My IP is different to that although I'm UK based so I would expect there to be some change over providers.
    This application looks like it behaves in the same way as pdaApps pdaNet software - it runs a TSR application on the desktop that hides HotSync until it is needed. THis can be a pain if you have a slow PC because the request to HotSync may take a while to reload the HotSync application by which time your handheld HotSync application has timed out.

The reason both these applications do this is because they had to write their own USB driver for the Treo in order to be able to pass their streamed data thru the USB port.
    For $14.95 I bought it immediately. The quality is excellent, and for when I travel to somewhere with a WiFi connection I don't have to carry my webcam. Not only that, but at home I can now use my standard webcam on my chat program, and keep the Treo on yahoo. Now all I need is the right kind of holder, but that shouldn't be too difficult to cobble together.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    anyone get this to work? I installed .prc file and ran the Palm Webcam PC application. All i get is

'ERROR - CAN'T CONNECT TO PC. MAKE SURE THAT 'PALM WEBCAM PC.EXE' IS RUNNING ON YOUR PC.

Any one able to get this to work? Give me a heads up. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    you can put your cradle on top of your monitor and turn it around so that the camera is facing you. Works for me.. but I'm only 5'1".
    oh yeah, so it does....heeehehhhe. Well spotted, I thought I had that one covered!
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Quote Originally Posted by clievideo
    Palm Webcam will let you connect your Treo600 with a PC over an USB connection and use it as a webcam.

You will be able to select the Treo as the camera source for Windows applications such as MSN Messenger.

Hopefully that was a bit clearer, not sure how plain the english was though since I live in Sweden
    This won't be that useful to me unless I want to broadcast the dust bunnies on the side of my monitor... of course, I could turn my docking station around and look really silly to all my co-workers.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    when I try to use the software. It states it only works with a sony clie.
    Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    This won't be that useful to me unless I want to broadcast the dust bunnies on the side of my monitor... of course, I could turn my docking station around and look really silly to all my co-workers.
    For my needs, I disagree. Using the treo sync\charge cable I can now leave my Logitech QuickCam at home and use the Treo when Im on the road and want to Video IM my 13 month old who wants to see her daddy. Very nice and useful app. Bravo!
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Just wondering if there is any way to also send audio from the mic of the treo to the computer, this would make the whole treo for video conference idea a little smoother, but then again maybe not
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydon34
    when I try to use the software. It states it only works with a sony clie.

Sounds like you d/l the wrong version. There were many devices to choose from. You had to get the one specifically for the Palm/Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo2660
    you can put your cradle on top of your monitor and turn it around so that the camera is facing you. Works for me.. but I'm only 5'1".
    I'm 5'2, so that could work...but I don't have a cradle. I'm thinking one of those vent doodads that hold your phone in the car would work well. And they're cheap enough to experiment with.
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    You will also need to make the pc app, check to see if pdanet is running, they are not compatable with each other. the pdanet program has to be unloaded beore the web cam app loads.
    Yes, that was the problem. This should be at least documented, but it would be better if the PC app put up an error message of some sort, rather than just run in the background without any hint of what went wrong (and without exiting).

By the way, the PC app also starts up a separate process every time you launch it (even if it fails to completely start up). There is no need to have multiple instances of this app running, so it should only allow itself to be started once.

Otherwise, seems to work well.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast