Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gidday! Just got my Treo 600 a few hours ago and I haven't been able to stop playing with it since. Woohoo! My ancient Palm V can now be laid to rest.

I am sure this is a complete ***** question but here goes anyways:
    Where is my Contacts/Address Book application? The only way I can get there is through the Phone app. I would expect to see 'Contacts' appear in my applications list just like Memo Pad, To Do, and Calendar. And I can't even assign a button to opening it (Contacts doesn't appear in the list of available programs), which is a bummer because I use Contacts all the time.

I note in the forums a number of people seem to use other Contacts applications - is that because it's missing on the Treo?

Thanks everyone. I've been reading treocentral for months waiting for the right time to buy - I appreciate all your efforts & questions & enthusiasm.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    nope, not a dumb question. You've noticed correctly - the contacts app is only available through the Phone app.
    I too was a little confused (and annoyed) by this when I first got my Treo. However, I've grown to really like the existing contacts app - mainly because of its powerful search capabilities. (you cqn find any name in just 2 or 3 button presses)
    There are many 3rd party apps, though, that can be used instead. Do a quick search here and you'll find a bunch.
    So wonder why this was done this way? I mean, is there a real reason that you cannot get to Contacts without going thru the Phone?...

Wish I were a Palm programmer and I would take care of this...

Mark
    I have read here on this board that someone created an icon for contacts so you can get to it from the launcher. Dont know the thread link though.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Agendus seems to work okay for contacts but I prefer free software. I haven't found a good free alternative although this looks promising:

http://pilot-db.sourceforge.net/

It's a DB app for palms that has plugins to access the built-in address book. I haven't tried it yet but it might be nice. Sourceforge has lots of cool palm apps.

I'm very stingy when it comes to paying for software because it 'goes stale' or costs more than I am willing to pay. I have a few apps for Palm OS3 that won't work on my Treo and not eligible for upgrades. I have to want it really bad before I pony up the bills. I'm more likely to donate to a freeware developer than buy commercial software (That soundrec/movierec (Ryan?) got 10 bux from me today). At least you're always eligible for upgrades with freeware/GPL apps.

BTW: are you the 9thtee dude who does all the Tivo stuff (Mark?)

I've been spending more time on this board rather then TC and DDB now that I got this toy. I still haven't tried getting my Tivo shows on the Treo but, from what I read, it's possible. I just don't have time for stuff like that.
    There are 2 basic applications that will create a contacts icon for you:

TreoContacts - this is free and works great except there is an annoying splash screen left over from the development tool used to create the application.

Treo Shortcuts - This does the same thing and costs $5.
    [QUOTE=BTW: are you the 9thtee dude who does all the Tivo stuff (Mark?)
    have time for stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Guilty.

Mark
    so I always watch these 'where is the Contacts app/icon?' threads with interest and curiosity. In my world, the phone app works as well if not better than the traditional 'Contacts' app. What is it that people want from the contacts app that they don't get from the phone app? I mean, I can look up contacts (and very easily - one or two digits), edit them, beam them, do all the things I could do in the old days.

Is it just that people want an icon on their app launcher for Contacts, since that was how it was always done before? Tell me what I'm missing, cuz I'm always mystified by these threads. (I find that just mashing the phone button, and putting in a couple of letters to look up a contact is about as easy as it gets - clue me in to what people need beyond that). There must be something.
    (and yes, I also use Agendus, but, again - the built in contacts search and dial/edit function is so simple that I don't ever use Agendus contacts function, other than History and stuff just within Agds.)
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    What is it that people want from the contacts app that they don't get from the phone app?
    Is there another one-button way to access the contacts? I find it a PIA to access phone app and then have to select a drop-down menu to see my list of contacts. Having a contacts.prc file makes it so you can have a launcher button. Too bad it's compiled with an evaluation version of the compiler. Anyone have a registered version and contacts.prc soruce code?
    Quote Originally Posted by CojonesDeToro
    Is there another one-button way to access the contacts?
    Well - I guess it depends on how your Treo is set up - I don't have to select a drop down to get my contacts. All I do is mash the Phone button, enter some digits on the thumboard, and the relevant contacts show up, just like the Contacts app of old.

Here's what to do:
    From the main phone button, go to
    Menu
    Options
    Display Preferences

The second drop down: 'typing starts Contacts search' - set that one up. (this seemed obvious to me; maybe others don't do this, and that's why people gripe about not having a Contacts app).

Once you set up that drop down, the Phone button will give you the same function as the old contacts app. Let me know what you think.....
    Well - I guess it depends on how your Treo is set up..
    I concede to your argument. That is a much better way to look up contacts. Thanks for tip.

Damn! I hate being on the business end of an "RTFM"! I was a previous palm owner so I figured shooting from the hip was the way to go.
    heh - well, if it's any consolation, I never read the manual either; I just played around with the various settings (or maybe that's even worse salt in the wound, such as it is).
    Once you set up that drop down, the Phone button will give you the same function as the old contacts app. Let me know what you think.....
    Call me dumb, but do I then have to 'undo' that if I'm dialing a number on the fly? Like when someone borrows the phone to call somewhere I don't want to make a contact, like their mom, or s.o., or something...
    ahh well - good question. Doing what I said above <does> presume that most of your dialing will be done via the contact lookup function. There are a bunch of ways to enable dialing on the fly, and it all really depends on how you use your phone:

In that same Display Prefs screen, I set the drop down for 'Center' to be the Redial List (you could also set that drop down as 'Dial Pad' if you want). And part of the redial list is ALSO the dial pad - so I get them both. You can make any of the 5-way choices be dial pad if you want, not just the center one.

So - if you set the center button as dial pad, then anytime you want to dial on the fly, just mash the center button from the Phone view, up shows the dial pad, and away you go. The way I do it (and as I'm typing this, I'm rethinking how I have it set, since I didn't <know> that Dial Pad by itself was an option - heh heh) is that I use the Redial setting, which also has Dial Pad on the top of the list, along with Call Log.

You should really play around with that Display Preferences screen - you can make your device do whatever you want it to, based on how you use it.

Good luck!!
    I found it! Adds the missing icons..
    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...Treo_600&cid=3
    not to be contrary here, but tell me what the need is to have an icon for Contacts, when all you need to do is set up the Display Prefs in the Phone screen to enable search by contact? (seems to me that putting more prcs in the device just takes away from storage).
    I still don't get the need for a separate Contacts icon, and am genuinely curious...
  18.    #18  
    Nrosser, now that I've had my Treo for a while, I find that you're right. I'm still not quite used to the different way of doing it, but I really do like the searching abilities - so it'll just be a matter of time before it becomes natural.

Cheers!
    Mike
    not to be contrary here, but tell me what the need is to have an icon for Contacts, when all you need to do is set up the Display Prefs in the Phone screen to enable search by contact? (seems to me that putting more prcs in the device just takes away from storage).
    I still don't get the need for a separate Contacts icon, and am genuinely curious...
    I am sure you are right... Just will take some time...
    Quote Originally Posted by 9thTee
    I found it! Adds the missing icons..
    Actually, the other icons included are even more useful. I've made "favorites" one of the buttons now. Much better.

I actually remember seeing this app when I first got the Treo but I just didn't know enough to realize what it was.

thx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast