1.    #1  
    I decided to try one of those "speed up your connection" proxy services to speed up my connection via PDAnet and I'd have to say that I am pretty surprised at how effective it has been.

If you go to their site they don't offer a free trial (stupid), but if you go to download.com you can download a 7 day trial by searching for "onspeed."

For some reason the trial signup didn't accept my phone number, so i looked up a UK number (that is where they are based). So now they think my phone number is the US Embassy. :P

Anyway, I think I am most surprised that it REALLY compresses the hell out of text --almost 20x compression -- and about 3-4x compression for graphics (in max mode - and max mode will look pretty blocky).

Still, it is enough to make me feel like I am on a pretty speedy connection.

It will NOT improve ping time. If your system hangs a second or two before loading, it will still hang, but it will then load much faster.

Their price is about 20-30 dollars a year (there are offers, I haven't looked at them all yet). I think I might get this. Not only will it speed my connection, but it might just help reduce my bandwidth usage over PDAnet.

Also, it won't speed the download of MP3s, etc. It will just basically speed up email and web. It also won't speed up encrypted pages. Definitely worth checking out, though. I'll let you know if i end up signing up.

Monk
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #2  
    before i subscribe to this (it really works pretty well for what I need). speeds up web via PDAnet significantly, does anyone know of anything cheaper or better?
    I used "NetZero High Speed" last year for a month or so, which works on basically the same principle. So, if Onspeed is similar.... It compressed text, degraded jpgs, etc. It sped things up nicely doing standard web surfing. But, as you'd expect, it doesn't do anything for SSL pages, or if you're establishing a VPN, or if you're downloading already compressed things (like MP3s or EXEs).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    I used "NetZero High Speed" last year for a month or so, which works on basically the same principle. So, if Onspeed is similar.... It compressed text, degraded jpgs, etc. It sped things up nicely doing standard web surfing. But, as you'd expect, it doesn't do anything for SSL pages, or if you're establishing a VPN, or if you're downloading already compressed things (like MP3s or EXEs).
    Since 95% of my day is now spent working from fastmail.fm (graphics free email site) it is a dramatic speed increase. Even for checking out the message forums here, it's pretty impressive. But downloading files has no savings at all. Ping time on Sprint is high enough that this service doesn't seem to add additional delay.