1.    #1  
    I have decided that I will get a Treo 600 for use on Sprint. I know that the model has been out now without any harware updates for what seems to be about 9 months. This and the rumors (i know they are just rumors) of a soon (sept. ?) update make me feel a little uneasy about buying now. I am an existing customer and my phones are less than 18 months old (who can wait that long?) so no rebates for me. this makes for a good amount of money to fork over for and older device that may be updated very soon. Can anyone offer any advice? If you could wait would you?

thanks in advance
    I too, had the same questions you did. I did a simple test, I asked myself, do I have to have a new pda or cell, because of a problem. The answer was no. So, I think we are within a few months of new releases of several new PDA/cell combos. The answer for me was, wait.
    I got my Treo600 way back in November. However, I would probably wait a couple months if I were to buy now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What is the news on when the latest version is coming out?? Soon??
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I attended a Sprint briefing a month ago where we were told "by year-end".
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by seedpower
    I have decided that I will get a Treo 600 for use on Sprint. I know that the model has been out now without any harware updates for what seems to be about 9 months. This and the rumors (i know they are just rumors) of a soon (sept. ?) update make me feel a little uneasy about buying now. ... phones are less than 18 months old (who can wait that long?) so no rebates for me. ... Can anyone offer any advice? If you could wait would you?
    They're just rumours. You can do what I did...

I just bought the phone. My old phone right now is only 9 months old, but my Tungsten T is old and battered and I felt it was time to get a new PDA, why not get a Treo. Even tho I have 15 months on my contract, they subtracted 12 months for a pre-hardware upgrade, allowing me to restart my 2 year contract and get a new phone as if I had 15 minus 12 months = 3 months left on my contract, with a pre hardware upgrade fee of $10 a month, so I got mine for $630 canadian.

If you have that option and can justify getting the current Treo, by all means go for it. Don't let rumours stop you from getting the Treo 600.

However if you can live with your current phone and PDA, then stick with it.

Keep in mind that PalmOne smartphone division wanted to get away from the notion of being a PDA with a built in phone and become a phone with a built in PDA. There will be a lot of R&D involved in trying to get an affordable hi-res screen into a phone like Treo (ala the current Zire 72/Tungsten screens) and what I'm thinking is that PalmOne probably things that only the niche markets want a phone with a PDA form factor, WiFi, hi res, and all those nice things (although I think bluetooth is a necessity in any mid to high priced phone) and they would be running a risk of having a phone that will not sell well to the general and business markets. The PDA factor Pocket PC phones are far and few in between, even though they have the full functionality a lot of PPC users wants. Now in that case, to put a hi-res screen into the current Treo will be very expensive. They'll need make a TFT screen that has a resolution of 190 dpi. The Zire 7x / Tungsten T/C/E series have 147dpi resolution, while the current Treo has a resolution of 84dpi. So there you can see what problems you can run into with a hi res Treo.

1. It'll be too big. This is if they use the standard PDA screens. People want compact, even if it's a powerful multifunction device, it has to be sleek and cool to sell to the general and business market looking for a $300+ phone.
    2. It'll be too expensive. We're talking Sony Ericsson P series prices here. I thought I was crazy enough to spend $600 on a phone, $1000? That's really pushing it. And at that price it'll become an extremely niche market phone. PalmOne is losing market share, they don't want to lose anymore market share.
    3. Battery life, size, and weight. The battery is either gonna be huge, making the phone bigger and heavier, just to have the same battery life as our Treo 600 here, or it's gonna be small and we're gonna have 2 hour talk times as opposed to 4 and have to recharge it every second day. I know most colour phone users are probably accustomed to this practice, but we're gonna ***** and moan about it.

So if you're gonna take my word for it, I don't know if it's worth waiting because at the most we'll probably see bluetooth and a modest increase in CPU power the next run, and hopefully the introduction of PalmOS Garnet/Cobalt, but IMO PalmOS 5.2.1 is a really good OS already. Now if you're willing to wait on rumours that these modest improvements will be forthcoming, go right ahead. And who knows, maybe they will find a way to implement hi res at a reasonable price with minimal effects to battery life.

If you're just looking for a good all in one device and need one now, the Treo 600 is yours for the buying.

And word of advice... get a one year contract, unless your provider has a good option of changing phones before your contract is over at a reasonable price.

I just bought my Treo 600 because I my PDA was dying and it was a good option. If the next line of Treo comes along and the improvements is worth my money, I'll buy that. But that's just me.

Donald
    I'd say "wait". I am fairly confident (from my sources at Sprint) that the new version of the Treo will be here within a few months.
    Any rumor on a new version for T-Mobile (GSM)? Here I am with my Nokia 3650 dying to get my hands on a Treo because I really miss PDA and Internet features.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Any rumor on a new version for T-Mobile (GSM)? Here I am with my Nokia 3650 dying to get my hands on a Treo because I really miss PDA and Internet features.
    The original GSM versions lacked the CDMA version by quite a few months. I would expect the same thing for any new model. T-Mobile was slower than most of the other GSM carriers in introducing the T600 and also with the recent update. I wish it wasn't so since I'm with T-Mobile but the facts are the facts.

...David