1.    #1  
    I bought my Treo 600 off of Ebay. I bought it brand new unlocked. I guess it was originally an AT&T phone. Anyway, I have T-mobile and I put in my sim card and the phone works great. I had to soft reset it one time.

My problem is that I want to upgrade the software to 1.12 and according to Palm, since my registration number is an AT&T one, they said I couldn't upgrade the phone through T-mobile as it is an AT&T phone and If I upgrade it using the directions for AT&T, it will lock it. I'm pretty upset because I have only had it for 6 weeks and would like to upgrade the software. I paid $600 for the phone. If I knew, I would have bought an unlocked and unbranded model. But, it's too late now. Is there any way to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
  2.    #2  
    Does anyone know????
    Well brand-new and eBay seem like mutually exclusive terms... you take your chances when you buy from eBay. The seller may well have hacked the ROM to unlock the phone and running the updater will indeed re-assert the ATT SIMs only lock. In that case, onlt ATT would be able to provide you with an unlock code. palmOne cannot give out these codes and don't even have ready access to them.

My advice to you is to have a frank conversation with the seller and see what it is you really have.
    You can explore whether to use the R.O.W. version to upgrade the software. That upgrade doesn't lock the phone, unless it was previously hacked to unlock it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Well brand-new and eBay seem like mutually exclusive terms... you take your chances when you buy from eBay. The seller may well have hacked the ROM to unlock the phone and running the updater will indeed re-assert the ATT SIMs only lock. In that case, onlt ATT would be able to provide you with an unlock code. palmOne cannot give out these codes and don't even have ready access to them.

My advice to you is to have a frank conversation with the seller and see what it is you really have.
    So I screwed up and upgraded my phone and it is now locked back to AT&T. So AT&T tells me they can't unlock the phone. There are apparently two locks, one related to HW, the other to the SIM card. They gave me an unlock code for the SIM card but it doesn't solve the problem.

So is there really an unlock code from AT&T that would work?
    Nope - ATTW does not unlock phones. It's their policy. You are stuck with the hardware lock.

SIM lock is a simple device for controlling your service for a particular SIM; it controls access if you leave your phone laying about or if you lose it.

I recommend anyone buying a phone from eBay to ensure that it has the latest ROM. If it has the older one, there is a good chance it has been hacked and that the genuine ROM update will reveal the true lock. Many of the threads talk about the ROM update relocking the phones. This is poor semantics - you bought a bogus ROM masquerading as unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Nope - ATTW does not unlock phones. It's their policy. You are stuck with the hardware lock.
    So does that mean my options are to buy a new Treo600 or switch to AT&T?

Are there any patches that will get me back to the way it was?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose408
    So does that mean my options are to buy a new Treo600 or switch to AT&T?

Are there any patches that will get me back to the way it was?
    I see you've found your answer over at mtdn
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I once saw an article on how to unlock a Treo...i think it was on one of the other Treo sites like mytreo.net or something like that. I KNOW I have seen an article on how to do that. Try a google search of unlocking treo.