View Poll Results: Which format do you use to listen to music on yor Treo600 with?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • MP3

29 51.79%
  • WMA

5 8.93%
  • Ogg

22 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok all you audiophiles, here is your chance...

Please vote on which format you use mostly on your Treo600 to listen to music.

Please respond with why you use that format, and what are the points that sold you on it (file size, quailty, ease of use, etc)

Thanks for the input, Matt Burkhard
  2.    #2  
    Right now, I am using MP3 at 192kps.
    I am going to convert to WMA at 128kps

Reason: The WMA @ 128 seems to be a great combination of quailty to file size. I only have a 512M card, and keep data on it too.
    I use ogg with quality set to .1 That way I can fit much more files on my 512 meg card. Also, ogg has much better quality at really low bitrates than MP3.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I use Ogg, mp3 is not as good quality as Ogg in my experience and WMA is a MS proprietory format and I just don't want to go there! :P
    i use mp3 and proud of it. aint moving.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I use mp3, the majority of them are enconded at 192kbs. Space is not a problem...
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I converted everything to ogg, to reduce the size. I only have a 256 card and the quality is not very important....it works for what I use it for.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    I was skeptical of ogg, but once I tried it, no going back. I have it at 64kps and sounds as good (at least on my Treo ) as a 192kps MP3. And what a space saver!

Give it a shot, you'll see.
    MP3 but after reading this thread, I am going to try ogg.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    OGG!
    i have constant bitrate of 64, sounds decent
    variable of 92, can't tell difference between that and 128 mp3 or 192 mp3 on treo
    i use DBpowerAMP to convert
    great program!
    1/3rd (at least) size of 192mp3
    so most of my mp3's have gone from 6.2 megs to 2.1 ogg
    definitely everyone needs to give it a try
    OGG sounds terrible! I spent hours trying OGG, and could not get it to sound good at ANY bitrate. First I tried the equivalent to a 128 mp3. At first I thought it sounded great. The instruments sounded sharp, the image was sharp, it was crisp. Then after about 20 seconds I noticed the instruments were TOO sharp, they were "clipping". The image was hollow, as if the instruments had too much seperation. It was like music near a black hole. I continued to try every bitrate up to the largest, with many different types of music. While they sounded better, they all had that hollow, sharp, unrealistic sound. The flaws stand out MUCH more than mp3. At least mp3 is "smooth" with its flaws.

It seems the designers of OGG sacrificed too much to make it sound "good". I'll stick with mp3 thank you. WMA? Too proprietary.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    MP3. 'Cause I sync my Treo with iTune on my Mac. Life is g00d
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    MP3 @ bitrate of 192kpbs 44hz and Tagged w/ ID 3!

Who wants to waist their time converting mp3's to another format??? That will just take up more of your HD space!
    i use mp3's just what all my music is in and cant be arsed to convert it all
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Ogg sounds wonderful, especially at low bitrates, but as I mentioned elsewhere on the board, playing Ogg files (pTunes 3.0, T600) slows my PDA down so much that I can't really use it in the background. Anybody else had that experience?

What is all of this talk about WMA being proprietary? WMA files can be secured, but they don't have to be. MS' whole idea with WMA was to make smaller & better sounding files than MP3.

Still it's moot because Ogg sounds the best of the three by far IMO.
    I use dBpowerAmp to convert my CDs to MP3s at 320KBPS. It is against my religion to compress any more than I have to . I did have to get another bigger SD card (Ultra II SanDisk 512MB).

Is it just me or does Vorbis Ogg sound like a Batman villain ? Or maybe a 60s rock band - "Ogg Vorbis and the MP3s" ?

Here's a link to more info on Ogg:

http://grahammitchell.net/writings/vorbis_intro.html

Hey Matt, how's Taiwan treating you and your Treo?

EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    MP3. 'Cause I sync my Treo with iTune on my Mac. Life is g00d
    Hmmm, help me on this. How you do dat? I have iTunes on a WinXP box. Didn't think you could synch a non-Ipod device on any OS with iTunes due to DRM. Is synch the appropriate word, or is copy more accurate (which equates to manual)? I tried Hymn to remove the DRM, but the DOS command prompt interface is basically unusable. Any help in this arena would make my life much more melodic!
    Doug
    How low do you usually set the bitrate to get acceptable quality?

Quote Originally Posted by k1davis
    Ogg sounds wonderful, especially at low bitrates, but as I mentioned elsewhere on the board, playing Ogg files (pTunes 3.0, T600) slows my PDA down so much that I can't really use it in the background. Anybody else had that experience?

What is all of this talk about WMA being proprietary? WMA files can be secured, but they don't have to be. MS' whole idea with WMA was to make smaller & better sounding files than MP3.

Still it's moot because Ogg sounds the best of the three by far IMO.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated
    Mp3 All my music 40 gigs are mp3 so why convert copy to card and go
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k1davis
    It is proprietary becuase MS owns the format and charges licences to companies like Normsoft to use this format, who inturn pass these charges on to us, I have no desire to encourage MS in making more proprietory formats to control us with, when there are perfectly good (licence fee free) alternatives already out there.

Proprietary - Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast