1.    #1  
    I conducted a real world test recently. I'd thought I'd share the results.

My brother-in-law just got a T600 on T-Mobile. I own T600 on Sprint.
    On recent visit to my brother-in-law's house, I conducted the following tests holding both phones next to each other - not scientific - interesting anyway.

Blazer web browser test
    Surf with Blazer built-in browser to www.google.com and www.accuweather (mobile page). Winner T-Mobile by hair - could just be reflex time; however it seemed to be repeatable.

PDAnet test
    Load trial version of PDAnet on to T-mobile. I have PDAnet on Sprint
    T-Mobile 57.6K - not really much use to me; Sprint 145k - useful speed.
    winner in Sprint.

one item discussed in other threads that surprised me at first was why does PDAnet get faster speeds than other tests. I think the answer is simple: the CPU of laptop is much faster than CPU of Treo 600 - hence the bottleneck switches from the phone to network.

Download of Excel spreadsheet XLS file of 29K
    T-Mobile - still waiting - basically just stalled.
    Sprint - ah - now I know why I put up with Sprint - download finished in few seconds (I forgot to time it - since it was no contest) - Winner - Sprint in landside.

my conclusions
    If you want to surf or get basic emails - then GSM is fine. If want email with attachments or PDAnet - then Sprint only way to go for the time being.

p.s. sorry I posted this original under speed test - except I think by now posts to that thread get lost and think this is bit more interesting.
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Interesting but not a fair comparison. If you compared different GSM providers that would a be fair comparison. Unfortunately right now Sprint with CDMA is significantly faster than GSM.

Sprint seems to be implementing new technology faster than the GSM providers. One of the GSM providers (I don't remember which but I know it isn't T-Mobile ) is just starting trials of a new higher speed network somewhere in the US (again my memory fails me). I'm anxious to see the results.

...David
    Well, to his credit he did put T-Mobile vs. Sprint in the title. If you assumed he was comparing any other GSM provider to Sprint, that would be your "bad" for not reading the subject in the first place.

AT&T and Cingular are rolling EDGE in most areas in the country, with UMTS to follow later this year and early next year in select markets. My guess is that it still will not surpass Sprint's current (and upcoming Vision 2.0 release) speeds...
    No assumption, just noting that comparing the two is fruitless (not to mention being jealous of the speed that Sprint users have).

...David
    that conclusion jives with what people are reporting in the speed test thread. looks like sprint is consistently much faster.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=45980
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    That results should not have shaken anybody really. I admit I would love to have 145k speed on pdanet. 57k may be "useless" to you but I find that it works quite well given that I can get that 57k virtually anywhere. In fact I'm the only one at work who still has web access when the DSL goes down. It's not blazing, but it is functional. Also don't forget battery life in your real world test....
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
    My battery life (Sprint) is great. I had my device on standby for over 10 days over the holidays last year, and I can use it for 1-2 hours a day for talk/app time and still have 70-80% battery life at home. I've never had an issue with battery life, so it really isn't much of a selling point for me (with the GSM phones).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    AT&T and Cingular are rolling EDGE in most areas in the country, with UMTS to follow later this year and early next year in select markets. My guess is that it still will not surpass Sprint's current (and upcoming Vision 2.0 release) speeds...
    I've been told that Sprint Treo's will be able to take advantage of Vision 2.0 when it becomes available. (as will any current Vision phone) However, will the GSM Treo's be able to utilize EDGE when it's released? I've heard some people say yes and other say no...
    From what our AT&T reps told me, GSM phones are not Edge enabled - Edge requires a different chipset than GPRS. I would guess that any future Treo devices (Treo 610 or whatever) would be Edge enabled, but I can't say for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I've been told that Sprint Treo's will be able to take advantage of Vision 2.0 when it becomes available. (as will any current Vision phone) However, will the GSM Treo's be able to utilize EDGE when it's released? I've heard some people say yes and other say no...
    I spoke with Treo support, went three levels up and did the same thing at T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is actually rolling EDGE out now and has it up (reported) in some markets. However, it is probably not stable while they are getting it running. They are hoping to have some major markets on line by year end or earlier.

Treo support says that the radio in the Treo is not EDGE compliant and would need to be changed to operate on EDGE. So, the TREO today would need to be replaced to work under EDGE.

EDGE will be nice with a theoretical speed of 384Kbps.

I had a Sprint Treo for a while and returned it since the battery life was not very good for me. Could make it only about a day and a half without recharging. I operate in all about 2 bar sprint areas and my understanding is that in fringes, CDMA uses more power - so that is the problem.

I would buy a TREO 600 if it worked on EDGE. But buying one now and then having to do it again in 6-9 months is not a good idea.

J
    I would love Sprint's speed. Unfortunately, Sprint charges for call forwarding by the minute. I forward hundreds of minutes each month to different numbers, so I am sticking with T-Mobile.

Too bad I'll need a new Treo to work with Edge. I would like the speed.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!