Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ignar
    Higher resolution, faster CPT, Wifi, BT all call for either bigger battery or shorter running time, and if I have to give up one of them, it will be a Wifi.
    I think I'd give up the faster CPU. For the most part I can get the applications I use to run fast enough. Then again I've been used to older processors than that in the Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Bmacfarland said something about averaging 20 to 30 seconds for downloading web pages via blazer and Sprint's Vision service? I just have to chime in and say that I don't see those results at all, and I hit some pretty heavyweight sites (e.g. http://www.usnews.com). 11 seconds just now.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think I'd give up the faster CPU. For the most part I can get the applications I use to run fast enough. Then again I've been used to older processors than that in the Treo 600.
    I think Treo 600 CPU is fast enough to handle Wifi so probably your preference is not bad. But, I've seen the case CPU becomes a bottleneck in network performance.
  4.    #24  
    It isn't a question of wifi vs. bluetooth or vs. only accessing the web over the wireless phone network. I was just saying that Wifi really needs to be available period, either as an SD card or natively (which could be turned on or off to save battery life) because for me it would be a huge advantage. Having it doesn't need to come at the expense of anything else.
    skidoo - 11 seconds to download all of USNews? hmm. I timed my download just now (I'm on Sprint, in the Dallas area, with three bars of service), and it took me 2 min, 20 seconds to download their main page, with a size of 217.2K.
    So if you got all that in 11 seconds, I'm amazed.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Poryphyron: First off, thanks for the link. It was very informative about average download rates - those SD tests look DREADFUL - around 30-40k? I know being a Sprint user I get about 12kilobytes from my ftp constant - that just makes me a little more doubtful about a wifi card coming out anytime soon. It would seem almost USELESS IMO, to drain a lot and only a small increase. I suppose we may have to wait another year or 2 to get the necessary speed through WIFI, although i do stress that those tests were on PPC components/pdas, which i'm sure were about 1 year old at this time. I know those PPC's have high resolution screens, which also drain life, so i'm guessing we need a high 1500 or 1800 battery if wifi would be included... or else same old poopy resolution (which btw, if another palmone or palmos device comes out with - i will definitely switch). Maybe it's possible, maybe not. but if it's only 30-40k max, then there is no point (to me at least). As far as EVDO and UMTS goes, well we all need new antennas for that, let alone new devices, let alone technology in most cities! I remember in December when I was about to get the treo 600 the rep from Sprint said they would be 5mbit within 2 years. That's thinking positively. I think he forgot to mention i'd have to upgrade my phone at least 5 times before that and spend too much money.
    Barye, you idea is just LOL. I will buy into your idea - i'd like to purchase 100000 shares of your company when it gets patented at .05 cents each.
    Cleveland216: try Ultr@VNC - hopefully you have Sprint with those data speeds when using VNC, otherwise VNC will be painfully slow. It is slow as it is now, but it's usable. Turning the Desktop wallpaper off when you connect VNC greatly reduces lag/time of downloading. Ultr@ also has plugin video streaming capability, but of course, would have to be small stream to watch it. Still waiting for PocketTunes or MMplayer to include Shoutcast .NSV streaming. Then i'll upgrade

usnews.com-1 min 48 seconds using blazer, winner of 2003's crappiest-slow- loading-and-formatting-browser-before-i-can-finish-downloading-webpage program.
    and let's not forget about that little cookies problem we all had months' ago. i still can't access my "secure" bank site with multiple frames
    Last edited by sledgie; 06/16/2004 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz24
    Yeah, I'm not too concerend about battery life with Wifi either. My Treo is usually on a charger at home and work since I'm mostly at my desk there.
    Ok call me stupid. If you are at your desk at work or presumably near a computer at home, why would you surf with your treo? That seems ridiculous to me. I would not choose to surf on my treo versus a pc no matter what the speed. Care to explain/justify that statement?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Ok call me stupid. If you are at your desk at work or presumably near a computer at home, why would you surf with your treo? That seems ridiculous to me. I would not choose to surf on my treo versus a pc no matter what the speed. Care to explain/justify that statement?
    Well, i personally wouldn't use WiFi at work, more of when I am out and about. When I would use it is at home. instead of it sitting at my desk i would just take it with me or keep it in the living room while I watch TV. It's handy for looking things up as I think of them, much more so than getting up and going all the way across the house to my computer. It's also handy in the yard. I do this sometime, but the speed is so slow that it grates on me, and it's actually quicker to get up, go to the computer, etc. if I could access the internet at the same speed as my desktop throughout my house and yard, that would be a huge improvement and I'd use it more. The major speed increase would make the dif between using it or not. Also, if I am with someone and want to show them something I look up on the net with my Treo, it takes forever and can be embarassing. If I am somewhere with WiFi and it could work like that Tungsten C I tried, it would pretty much be instantaneous to look something up. Plenty of places I go regularly have free Wifi--the cafe near my gym, my local bar and grill, several cafes on the main shopping street near my home. I'd use the net more and enjoy it more with Wifi. the point about it mostly being in the charger is that it is rarely more than a few hours between being at my work or home desk so battery life would not likely be a problem.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    If Wi-Fi gets built-in to the next Treo then fine, but I can't see myself wasting the SD slot unless it was a memory/Wi-Fi combo card. Besides, by the time this all happens we should have Vision 2.0 (or EDGE for GSM users) and a Treo with a faster proc - both of which will make the current speed advantages of Wi-Fi minimal.
    i believe in WIFI.

BT is an optional, welcomed of course, but still...
    ...i've already emailed a couple of times PALMONE support about proposing two lines of treos:

treo500 - minimum feats ( no camera, maybe no keyboard,...)

treo700 - WIFI, 320x320, megapix camera, etc...

...actually i do not care much about size either; if they come out with an IPOD like model with 320x320 and WIFI and the HD size the IPOD has; now THAT would be a market killer.

...i would be out buying one today; those 10 or so new PVP models coming out WITHOUT camera just make me angry. they could put it there, they just want you to shell out extra money while you wait...

my treo700 concept would mahe it all: audio/video recorder/player, telephone, WIFI...

...ok, just give me WIFI and i'll shut up until next year...
    Can't we all get along ???

WiFi and Bluetooth on single chip

Philips Semiconductor today announced, “Separate, integrated single-package WiFi and Bluetooth chips for smart phones and portable devices.” The hope is that phone makers will be able to add in both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth much more cheaply. Volume pricing for the chip that combines the two wireless standards sits at less than $10 per unit.

http://www.mobiletracker.net/archive...and_blueto.php

interesting -- though not as revolutionary as my ON / OFF switch (patent pending)
    stupid

The times I use my Treo at home are for finding movie times. Most of the reasons mentioned by robguz24 would apply for me as well.

...David
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Well if your argument is that you don't like to browse the web on the Treo's screen then I don't see the point to include any web stuff at all.
    Well I receive email on the treo and use some Internet enabled apps, RSS etc, but they all work fine on the GPRS and use little data so I have no need for WiFi which in my opinion only comes into the picture if you want to browse the WWW, so I guess you could say if Blazer wasn't there I wouldn't care! Why wait forever to see a tiny portion of a web page?

A BlueTooth headset would be far more practical!
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    skidoo - 11 seconds to download all of USNews? hmm. I timed my download just now (I'm on Sprint, in the Dallas area, with three bars of service), and it took me 2 min, 20 seconds to download their main page, with a size of 217.2K.
    So if you got all that in 11 seconds, I'm amazed.
    Yep it took me 2 minutes and 11 seconds and a whole 35 seconds before I got anything on the screen. Now pretend you are actually looking for something a couple pages away (perhaps searching U.S. News and clicking on a few links). It could easily take you 4 pages to find what you are looking. So ten minutes trying to find something that I can do from a cable modem in about 45 seconds to a minute. Is wi-fi not worth those 9 minutes 2-3 times a day -- yes. I wonder what uses more battery, one minute of wi-fi or ten minutes of Sprint Vision use? Seems like it would be pretty close to me.
    If he's like me, he's near a computer 85-90% of the day, which gives him ample ability to charge the Treo. However there is that other 10-15% of the time (or out on weekends) when the Treo is your only Internet connection. For me it's about having battery power to last over long stretches of time, but it's about having the data when you need it. Of course, as many people mentioned, you can have your cake and eat it too if the software drivers for the low-voltage wi-fi existed. Just use the wi-fi when you know you'll have plenty of battery.
  16. PAC
    Just for reference, I've never been to USNews.com before so there's no chance of cached images. On my SPCS T600 w/ 2 bars of service, it took 27 seconds before anything loaded. It appears that all of the text was loaded by 40 seconds. The images then started to fill in and completely finished in 1 minute, 45 seconds.

Then I ran the same test on my 400mhz iPAQ 2215 via WiFi connection 10 feet from my router connected to a 1.5mbs cable modem. Took 5 seconds before anything appeared. At 15 seconds it would respond to taps to move around the page. At 45 seconds the whole page was loaded, graphics and all. Surfing to the same site on my PC (3.4ghz P4, 1GB ram, XP PRO) connected to the same cablemodem loads the page in less than a second.

So thinking that a Treo with WiFi would be the be-all-end-all to mobile surfing is false. The processor power has just as much to do with loading web pages as the connection speed. The speed increase would be far less than you think it would if the Treo 600 could use a broadband connection. But even raw processor speed isn't enough. The browser matters a lot too. Loading heavy pages on my Tungsten|C was pretty freaking slow at times. So slow, in fact, that I returned it for the iPAQ. Same 400mhz Intel processor that my iPAQ has. Yet it was significantly slower at loading "heavy" websites. I'm not a PocketPC zealot either - my T600 is the Primary PDA, the 2215 may end up on eBay soon. Just adding my $.02 to the debate.
    Last edited by PAC; 06/16/2004 at 11:13 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12