Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    mSafe V 3.0 has just been released.

Quite a few new options, including locking on removal of sd card and wiping of Treo &/or sd card on sms message.

The good news for Orange UK users is that the sms feature now works for us

Free upgrade for registered users.

Chas.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    the wiping of the sd card sounds really good i am going to have to try this out again now
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I'd been using treo helper to do the same thing msafe did, only for free, for months now. Finally they added a feature that makes more sense to pay for. I might give it a look.

Here's the link since nobody mentioned it yet:
    http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafe
    As long as the warm reset bypass issue is still there, this app is totally useless.
    I wouldn't say "totally". Yes it does limit its effectiveness to some degree, but not everybody who finds a lost phone is tech-savy enough to know that a warm reset would bypass the app, if they even knew how to do a warm reset in the first place. In fact I'd imagine that the majority of people do not have any clue... including many actual treo owners.

I haven't checked to see if version 3.0 still suffers from it or not.
    I beta tested for them. Both this and the old version still give me white screen issues. I have cdma 1.12. I tried to communicate with them about this but instead of fixing the problem they just stopped sending me the beta updates about three weeks ago. They said it was fixed by changing the way sms's are handled but now the final release is out and still crashes me. I know not everyone has this problem, but I do even after a hard reset and running just msafe. I purchased 2.0 and it's been a problem since then. If anyone has any ideas I sure would appreciate it.

thanks
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    As long as the warm reset bypass issue is still there, this app is totally useless.
    I know what you are talking about, and as long as the Treo is locked a warm reset will only take you back to a locking screen. So I don't see it as an issue anymore as mSafe will lock the unit under the conditions you set.

But if you are still uncomfortable with it, then fair enough it's your data
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow

i don't think that this is a true statement - if you choose to lock the treo upon reset, it's going to lock every time you reset
    unless you do a hard reset but then all your datas go so it does not matter
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by dpwaters
    i don't think that this is a true statement - if you choose to lock the treo upon reset, it's going to lock every time you reset

sorry rudycow, you are correct. a warm reset still bypasses the lock. however, you can't turn on wireless mode (at least i couldn't)
    The security hole is- while the device is unlocked, do a reset while holding UP on the nav pad. This stops any software from running in the background, such as mSafe. If the device is already locked, it will stay locked but mSafe wont be able to listen for SMS's to do a wipe etc.

It doesnt make mSafe/TreoHelper/etc. totally useless. You can still send it an SMS before someone does the warm reset, and hopefully they wont think to do that as soon as they pick it up. Anything is better than nothing!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Anything is better than nothing!
    EXACTLY !!!!!
    Am I missing something or does this app not have the option to lock the device when the screen is turned off (after a certain time period)? Like the built in security app.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    mSafe V 3.0 has just been released.

Quite a few new options, including locking on removal of sd card and wiping of Treo &/or sd card on sms message.

The good news for Orange UK users is that the sms feature now works for us

Free upgrade for registered users.

Chas.

Wiping external and internal memory via SMS? That sounds too cool to pass up. Gonna have to check it out. Thanks for the update!
    mSafe 3.0 seems to work as advertised. Pretty wild to throw the Treo an SMS and watch it cheerfully format the SD card and then lock. While I agree that there is a pretty significant security hole with the warm reset thing, this program is still going to protect you fairly comprehensively. The SD wipe plugged the biggest hole. I was looking at SD backup programs that were encrypted to protect against a hard reset / restore scenario and was pretty disappointed with what was out there. Feel much better now. Also nice that Motionapps offered it as a free upgrade.
    I downloaded mSafe yesterday to my Treo and now I can't find the file anywhere. I am in FL on vacation and really want to try it out while I am here. I was asked if I wanted to download it to my card and I said Yes. But it is nowhere to be found. I have searched using Filez and FileMan and even ZipLite (that comes with Snappermail). Any ideas where it coulld be lurking? I really want to unzip it and try it out. Thanks!
  17.    #17  
    Try looking in the history section of the treo browser menu, you might find where it's been downloaded to ?
    Thought of the day :
    Unfortunately, I deleted mSafe 3.0 yesterday after numerous resets. I had resets running TakePhone and Verichat 2.15b, all that worked fine before installing the latest mSafe release.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    big time resets after install. Also using Verichat & Takephone but after a couple of hours everything seem to stabilize. All seems good now!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Hmmmm..... I wonder if it is carrier related? I am Sprint CDMA, use TakePhone, no Verichat (use Chatter) and rock solid since install.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast