Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf
    Hmmmm..... I wonder if it is carrier related? I am Sprint CDMA, use TakePhone, no Verichat (use Chatter) and rock solid since install.
    I am also a Sprint CDMA.
    Using GSM version over T-Mobile and mSafe works as advertised.
    It is really nice they gave free upgrades for all 2.0 users (remember the Snappermail + pTunes threads...?)

Just too bad they (MotionApps) couldn't/didn't implement a lock-on-screen-off which is (to me) a very basic security feature that 99% of the other apps out there do by default. Well... I hope one of them is reading this forum and that it will be available in a future service-pack though.
    ?!? Lock-on-screen-off is built-in to the OS. Just go to the Security app.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I've downgraded to v2.5. Way too many resets with v3.0.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpwaters
    I've downgraded to v2.5. Way too many resets with v3.0.
    I wonder if it's varies with different providers, as I have had no problems with V3.0, on Orange UK GSM

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Hmm, Im on Sprint also, but no resets.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Several problems with the new v3.0 of mSafe:

Minor---after mSafe locks yout T600 and unmounts your SD card (assuming you choose this option), if you unlock your T600 the SD is not auto-mounted. You have to do a dance by unmounting, power cycling, unlocking, then mounting the SD card. If you forget, then your T600 won't run stuff like BackupBuddyVFS automatically, and you won't have access to data/files/apps on the card. Very inconvenient...

Major--mSafe v 3.0 was locking my T600 at random intervals. I have traced it to times when I lose carrier/signal, and mSafe somehow interprets this as someone removing the SIM card. This is a fatal flaw, and I have downgraded back to mSafe v 2.x.

Yes, I did report this to Motion Apps.
    [QUOTE=jposin]Several problems with the new v3.0 of mSafe:

"Major--mSafe v 3.0 was locking my T600 at random intervals. I have traced it to times when I lose carrier/signal, and mSafe somehow interprets this as someone removing the SIM card. This is a fatal flaw, and I have downgraded back to mSafe v 2.x."

I had the same problem after installing 3.0. My Treo would lock up and preventy me from turning it on and then would randomly turn off. I deleted mSafe but the problem persisted. Finally and mysteriously it stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    Major--mSafe v 3.0 was locking my T600 at random intervals. I have traced it to times when I lose carrier/signal, and mSafe somehow interprets this as someone removing the SIM card. This is a fatal flaw, and I have downgraded back to mSafe v 2.x.
    This has been happening to me as well. I have Cingular.
    I haven't seen any of the random locking problems on my 600 (Sprint) since going to 3.0. I did note, though, that an SMS locking message seems to lock the phone by resetting it; whereas the previous version just 'magically' locked it. I kind of like the old way better, but as long as it locks my phone I really don't care how it does it. The app is insurance, nothing else.

Dunc
    OK, so here is the reply from Motion Apps tech support:

<<
    You are correct about both things - mSafe does not remount the SD card
    after unlocking, and it does lock the device when it goes out of network
    coverage.

The SD card remounting feature will probably be included in the next
    mSafe update which will be published very soon.

The locking on lost network coverage will remain in this first update,
    but we will make it configurable in the second update for which I cannot
    tell you the ETA at this moment. BTW, you would be surprised how many
    mSafe customers have explicitly asked us to make mSafe lock the Treo
    when it goes out of coverage. Anyway, we are going to cover both
    options in the next two releases.

Thank you,
    Nebojsa

MotionApps Support
    www.MotionApps.com - Making Your Treo Tremendous>>

Well, I guess that these undocumented 'features' had me fooled. The lack of SD automount is I suppose for security. The lock on carrier loss/out of signal is fatal for me.
    I'm missing something here. What's the purpose of the unmounting feature? Who cares if a new SD card is inserted?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Because someone could just stick in an SD card with Start.prc in root and it would autorun. The app could pull all your data out of RAM etc. I personally use LaunchThis to prevent that.
    OK, further info from MotionApps support regarding the 'lock on loss of network' feature:

<<
    The lock on network coverage loss was added to mSafe because many
    customers asked it - and here is the explanation why we accepted it; I'm
    sure you'll agree with it.

Let us presume that someone has came into the possession of your Treo.
    The first thing he would do would be to disable network, i.e. to
    disconnect the Treo from network. If he uses the power button, mSafe
    would intercept it and lock the device. However, there is another, more
    subtle method for disconnecting the Treo - selecting the different
    network operator in the Phone application. For example, Treo working on
    AT&T network can be switched to Cingular network in the Phone
    application - and Treo would still "think" that it is connected to
    network, but with very low signal (i.e. lost network coverage). In this
    case the wireless mode would remain on, and phone radio would remain
    powered. To prevent this we have made mSafe lock the device when it
    looses network coverage. Unfortunately there is no way for mSafe to
    determine if the network coverage is lost because of changing the
    network operator or simply because you went to some place without
    network.

On the other hand, your point is 100% correct, too - locking the device
    each time you enter the elevator, for example, can be annoying. And
    this is why we will make this configurable in the next release.

Thank you very much,
    Nebojsa

MotionApps Support
    www.MotionApps.com - Making Your Treo Tremendous
    >>

I still am not sure if I get it...Also, with the latest firmware upgrade, my Cingular branded T600 no longer offers a network selection on the Phone menu.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm having an odd --and annoying-- problem that may be attributable to mSafe (ver 3.0):

Sometimes after receiving an SMS my Treo will not make outgoing calls. That is, if I receive a text message (which does not include msafe lock xxxxx) my Treo 600 will no longer dial calls. If I try to dial a call nothing happens, even though the phone displays an ample signal bar and the name of my cellular provider: The phone doesn't place the call. It starts to dial, then just reverts to the phone screen. After resetting my Treo, it works okay.

My phone doesn't lock -- it just refuses to place a call.

I should add that I'm not certain that this problem is related to mSafe; I'm guessing that it is because mSafe is the only application on my Treo 600 which interfaces with text messages.

--Bill
    verisafe from www.pdaapps.com also allows wiping out of data remotely with an SMS.
    What other apps do you have installed? I had similar issues, but I never had mSafe.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brutel1
    What other apps do you have installed? I had similar issues, but I never had mSafe.
    Yikes! Way to many to list. It's certainly possible that one of the other applications is causing this problem. Here are most of the applications on my Treo 600:

AP Signs
    ASCave
    Avantgo
    Audacity
    BackupBuddy VFS
    BugMe
    CityTime
    Converter
    FileZ
    Frotz
    HandZipper
    IPilot
    Live!
    MegaClock
    MMPlayer
    MovieRec
    mSafe
    PortableKB
    PToolbox
    pTunes
    Qset
    SASI
    SplashPhoto
    Wordsmith
    Undupe

It's a strange and quite maddening problem. Dialing a number and then nothing happening. As best I can tell the problem relates to when a text message arrives.
    Do you have phone skins installed? Like Phone_LOGO etc.? Try removing those or at least updating them with the correct one for you service provider, especially if you are on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Do you have phone skins installed? Like Phone_LOGO etc.? Try removing those or at least updating them with the correct one for you service provider, especially if you are on Sprint.
    No skins at all. No launcher to remove, either. Sigh.

The other complication is that this problem doesn't always happen. Sometimes when I get a text message my Treo 600 becomes unable to make calls (despite good signal strength); sometimes it works just fine after getting an SMS.

--Bill
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast