Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    It is obvious this thread has died with the amazing revelation of a BT Treo on the horizon. It is kind of funny to me that the news leaked about this rumored device at this particular time. Must not be any takers on the dough to make it work with the Treo 600. hmmmmm...
  2.    #162  
    There is no BT Treo on the horizon. It's marketing BS.

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    It is obvious this thread has died with the amazing revelation of a BT Treo on the horizon. It is kind of funny to me that the news leaked about this rumored device at this particular time. Must not be any takers on the dough to make it work with the Treo 600. hmmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    There is no BT Treo on the horizon. It's marketing BS.
    Just my 2 , but it's my opinion that probable existence of the Treo "Ace" is quite likely. I imagine that the earlier references made on TreoCentral raised the eyebrows of some folks at PalmOne and perhaps even the various carriers, and they demanded that the references be removed. After all, knowledge of the imminent arrival of a new Treo with the feature set described might dampen sales of the existing Treo 600. And as successful as the Treo 600 has been, you can be sure that there are probably warehouses full of them around the country.

Theoretically speaking, if I had standing inventories of a given product on hand, I'd want to reduce the stock as much as possible before rolling out a new model. It makes perfect sense.

Without seeking confirmation from anyone at TreoCentral, you might wonder how PalmOne and their vendors reacted to the leaked information. There may even have been some warnings from corporate attorneys, but who knows? It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened. Apple, among other high-tech companies, also doesn't tolerate leaks very well, and have often sicked their legal beagles on Mac-enthusiast websites for leaking details about upcoming products. The fact that the original articles and all references to the "Ace" are now absent from TreoCentral only serves to reinforce my belief that the "Ace" is real.

Anyway, this thread is getting off-topic. It'll be a while before I trade up from my Treo 600, and I *do* want Bluetooth now.

Best,
    TRB
    ...not to mention that pre-announcing products too early is what nearly killed Palm back in its youth. Once a new product is announced/leaked, the old versions tend to rot in warehouses more often than not.
  5.    #165  
    It is highly likely that Palm has a BT Treo planned, but when would we get it? This link suggests Fall 04. If this isn't fake then given the usual schedule slips I'd think it's probably next Spring or Summer. It's all smoke and mirrors until the device is in hand.

I don't plan on shelling out another $600 (probably $1000) just for BT anytime soon. I doubt that everyone else is going to immediatly pitch their 600s. Besides, what if it doesn't support headsets. Wouldn't that be stupid.

We need the driver now.

Quote Originally Posted by TBeardmore
    Just my 2 , but it's my opinion that probable existence of the Treo "Ace" is quite likely. I imagine that the earlier references made on TreoCentral raised the eyebrows of some folks at PalmOne and perhaps even the various carriers, and they demanded that the references be removed. After all, knowledge of the imminent arrival of a new Treo with the feature set described might dampen sales of the existing Treo 600. And as successful as the Treo 600 has been, you can be sure that there are probably warehouses full of them around the country.

Theoretically speaking, if I had standing inventories of a given product on hand, I'd want to reduce the stock as much as possible before rolling out a new model. It makes perfect sense.

Without seeking confirmation from anyone at TreoCentral, you might wonder how PalmOne and their vendors reacted to the leaked information. There may even have been some warnings from corporate attorneys, but who knows? It wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened. Apple, among other high-tech companies, also doesn't tolerate leaks very well, and have often sicked their legal beagles on Mac-enthusiast websites for leaking details about upcoming products. The fact that the original articles and all references to the "Ace" are now absent from TreoCentral only serves to reinforce my belief that the "Ace" is real.

Anyway, this thread is getting off-topic. It'll be a while before I trade up from my Treo 600, and I *do* want Bluetooth now.

Best,
    TRB
    Great News! I got an email today from one developer who is in the beginning stages of creating a driver... I have invited him to post on the boards, but he may not want to reveal himself until he has a more sure idea of what's going on. Currently he is wiating for developer approval from Toshiba.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  7.    #167  
    Goody!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Great News! I got an email today from one developer who is in the beginning stages of creating a driver... I have invited him to post on the boards, but he may not want to reveal himself until he has a more sure idea of what's going on. Currently he is wiating for developer approval from Toshiba.

Best,
    TRB
    Just an opinion here but if you were Palm and a group of enthusiasts were trying to develop something (bluetooth) for the Treo 600 that would probably effect the sales of a future version of your product (Treo ACE), wouldn't you perhaps "leak" some info to the user pool to let them know something is on the horizon? Sometime soon? Maybe get them all excited so they'll buy the new version. If we hire someone to develop BT drivers for us, Palm might take a revenue hit when we all decide to stick with what we have using privately funded drivers. What incentive will we have to upgrade to the ACE? Less, for sure. I for one don't want to have to shell out another $500 for a few years. Build the drivers, they will come...
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayazo
    ]Build the drivers, they will come...
    Zxactly!!!
    Just an opinion here but if you were Palm and a group of enthusiasts were trying to develop something (bluetooth) for the Treo 600 that would probably effect the sales of a future version of your product (Treo ACE), wouldn't you perhaps "leak" some info to the user pool to let them know something is on the horizon? Sometime soon? Maybe get them all excited so they'll buy the new version. If we hire someone to develop BT drivers for us, Palm might take a revenue hit when we all decide to stick with what we have using privately funded drivers. What incentive will we have to upgrade to the ACE? Less, for sure. I for one don't want to have to shell out another $500 for a few years. Build the drivers, they will come...
    Wayazo -

Very intriguing perpsective, and not without some salient points. IMHO, tho, you hit on the same thing I'm thinking:

I for one don't want to have to shell out another $500 for a few years. Build the drivers, they will come...
    As much as I'd like to own an "Ace", I, too, have spent a pretty good chunk of money to buy my Treo 600. Aside from a little more built-in memory, higher-res screen and better camera, the most compelling feature for me would be Bluetooth. If the drivers can be created thru TreoCentral's bribe/bounty movement, I'm more than happy with my 600. Besides, like you I'm not willing to shell out another wad of $$$ anytime soon to buy an "Ace", even if its price were $500. Heck, with the current T600 selling briskly at $599 (not including rebates), I wonder if the "Ace" will sell for more than the existing Treo. I wouldn't be surprised to see it being offered for $900 or more.

Yes, I think that some of us bought the T600 because it was cool, but I suspect most of us probably got it because of its features & functionality. I, for one, wanted a well-designed camera phone with a Palm PDA, and that's what I have. If the T600 continues to meet my needs now and into the future - and perhaps even be expanded thru the addition of Bluetooth - I imagine that there are plenty of people who will hang onto their T600 for the foreseeable future.

Best,
    TRB
    How do you put up money for this?
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    you can pledge vai treocentral on the home page if you scrool down theres a stories that tells you everything you need to know i will give you a link in a min
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    o its not a stories but heres the link
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/341-1.htm
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    At one time or another over the past five years, I've had phones with AT&T, Tmo, Verizon, and now Sprint with the TReo 600. I have to say that Sprint has been pretty responsive compared to the others, and for where I live, the signal coverage is great. I can hold my T600 on Sprint on one hand and a Verizon handset in the other in my house. Both companies have towers within sight of my house. Verizon's signal is weak and drops out where Sprint's is rock solid and crystal clear. AT&T doesn't even register a signal in my house (tower's a mile away).

As for phone manufacturers like Samsung, Palm, Motorola, LG, etc., it seems to me like phones in the US are released at regular intervals with incremental upgrades to the hardware/firmware adding little things that could/should have been on the first version of the hardware. Yeah, sometimes they change the shape a little, other times, you just notice that it's the same phone with a different model number and more features.

In Europe, I'm told (by a friend in the UK) that few if anyone would consider buying a phone that didn't have a built-in camera and bluetooth functionality. Seems like in the US we hear, "Oh, that's not a popular item here so, we didn't include it on our hardware. Too expensive you know, saves you money. ) Then, six months to a year later, after you've spent money on hardware, they add a few new features and hype up the advertisement to get you to buy another phone. "Sorry, the manufacturer doesn't upgrade phones or firmware, we will sell you a new phone though..." (Heard from a local Verizon sales person discussing a Samsung phone with a client.)

So, here we have the Treo 600 without bluetooth but with a lo-rez camera. And less than a year after the original T600 release, we start hearing rumors of the next Treo (The ACE!) having bluetooth, a better camera, blah, blah, blah. Are you surprised? We're already getting whipped into a frenzy to sell our T6's on E-bay and upgrade before the new phone's even officially announced.

I believe I read somewhere (don't know if it's true, but it makes sense) that the current T600 has a spot on the circuit board for adding bluetooth in the future. I also heard that the Palm OS in the existing Treo can't or won't be upgraded. You can't add BT as internal after-market hardware, but you can buy a new T600 (when released in what, 2005?) with bluetooth added for just another $600. Oh, and that SD card slot in your old T6, well, that just doesn't have the power to drive a BT SD card you know, but the next version will. Just shell out another six bills.

It's all marketing. Convince me to buy the base unit with just enough features to keep me happy for a while, then a little later, tempt me with new features to buy the phone again because it will do more, be even more useful. It's a vicious consumer cycle designed to make the corporates money, and it works pretty damn good. Why sell one fully loaded phone when you can sell a partially loaded phone and get me to buy another. THey make twice as much money off me that way Why update the phone OS for the user when you can force them to buy a new phone if they want new OS features?

I will admit that when I bought my T600, bluetooth wasn't high on my list of needs. I wanted to upgrade from an old Palm V to an integrated phone/PDA platform (got tired of carrying a phone, pager, and PDA, they were making my suit pockets all poochy.) I looked at the Samsung i610 with WinCE2002 on Verizon and was not impressed. The T600 just seemed to suit me. My recent purchase of a new Apple laptop with bluetooth has convinced me that this is something I want on my Treo too. Is it worth another $600? Nope, I'll hold out for the drivers and in two years maybe consider moving up.

Done venting, I feel better, life is good... :-)
    Is it worth another $600? Nope, I'll hold out for the drivers and in two years maybe consider moving up.

Done venting, I feel better, life is good... :-)
    Amen, brother! I couldn't have said it better. And imagine what features will be standard in two to three years!! Instead of SD cards, maybe we'll be able to use one of those tiny 1, 2 or 4 GB IBM removable microdrives that are used in digital cameras:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html

Hey, it could happen...

Anyway, this has gotten too far off topic. Hopefully we'll get some word soon about the Bluetooth driver progress.

Best,
    TRB
    It will be a vicious consumer cycle until smartphones become boring. In other words once they are cheap commodities with superfast multiple connectivity and no real development going on any more besides cost cutting. The PC is pretty much there now and look at their prices - it's hard to get excited about them any more. They are all fast enough and have good enough graphics and external storage - workaday workhorses. The day when every schoolkid and grannie has a smartphone is when TreoCentral will be silent.

We are still in the early adopter curve for smartphones and all the stuff that goes on in this forum and elsewhere helps to fuel the development fire. As long as we keep buying the gadgets and whining when they are not perfect, the cycle will continue and we will all have a good time.

My 2c
  17.    #177  
    You can get 1 GB SD cards. Also, there is a timeline for 2 GB and 4 GB cards.

See the SD card forum.

Amen, brother! I couldn't have said it better. And imagine what features will be standard in two to three years!! Instead of SD cards, maybe we'll be able to use one of those tiny 1, 2 or 4 GB IBM removable microdrives that are used in digital cameras:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html

Hey, it could happen...

Anyway, this has gotten too far off topic. Hopefully we'll get some word soon about the Bluetooth driver progress.

Best,
    TRB
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Microdrives are a lot more bulky than SD cards, I hope we don't go back to compact flash size slots :P

Things have been awfully quiet in this thread lately. No posts since 6/30!

Any update on developers working on the BT driver?

Best,
    TRB
    crickets chirping... sounds pretty quiet on the western front here.....