Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 253
  1. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #141  
    yes, but that's my point. At $200+ it's a completely different price segment than $100+. I would think there are FAR fewer potential customers at 200 than at 100. It makes the potential number of units sold MUCH lower, hence a less profitable endeavor, and therefor much less likely to get the attention of manufactures, so odds are it will always be a home-made project, and not something anyone will be able to order. At least any time soon.

    Lets remember how much we've already spent on a phone...
  2. #142  
    I just put my $50 in. I wander if we will be able to use with car kit?
    Math 6:33 But seek first His righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.
  3. #143  
    I for a fact would pay a ton of money to get a sleeve for my Treo 600 that would give me extended battery life, protect the phone, give me bluetooth and wifi and allow me to have the SD slot free. This also seems to cure all the bluetooth profile issues so every way of using bluetooth woudl be available. Thank you for considering my idea. Any enterprising designers or case manufacturers out there listening??
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I for a fact would pay a ton of money to get a sleeve for my Treo 600 that would give me extended battery life, protect the phone, give me bluetooth and wifi and allow me to have the SD slot free. This also seems to cure all the bluetooth profile issues so every way of using bluetooth woudl be available. Thank you for considering my idea. Any enterprising designers or case manufacturers out there listening??
    Interesting HW idea (notwithstanding actual OS/SW driver problems). I'd pay a premium for an actual replacement case skin, replacing the plastic T600 enclosure with a metal one that includes those expansion items. Especially a removable battery. If such a case managed to also convert the entire T600 internal battery into a removable, its value could double. I vote for titanium, with a zero-profile beltclip socket.

    BTW, who has the guts to crosspost this subthread in the HW section?
  5. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I for a fact would pay a ton of money to get a sleeve for my Treo 600 that would give me extended battery life, protect the phone, give me bluetooth and wifi and allow me to have the SD slot free. This also seems to cure all the bluetooth profile issues so every way of using bluetooth woudl be available. Thank you for considering my idea. Any enterprising designers or case manufacturers out there listening??
    Woah, let's not go crazy here. The solution we're working on would be ONLY BT. We might use the extended battery sleve because it's easy, but the actual battery cell would be removed, there just isn't enough room for it AND the BT module.

    WiFi and protection? Are you nuts? Sorry man, you might want to just wait and buy a MPx, WiFi though the connector just isn't a probable solution.

    If it was a joke...you shouldn't joke about something as serious as BT. People take BT and Treos VERY seriously.
  6. #146  
    Hey, I can dream can't I, I want bluetooth no matter what and am determined to make that a reality. Wifi can wait, after all I have internet and data through the T600. I believe with all my heart this is the easiest solution and woudl eliminate the hardware OS elements because the sleeve bluetooth woudl be similar in characteristics to the bluetooth bricks we all detest so it woudl in fact work with any industry standard headset profile device. Think about this, you can then do voice recognition to your Treo? Voice activated browsing, application launching. Can me crazy if you will (I believe many visionaries have been referred to as such) but I believe I am correct that this is the right direction to go.
  7. #147  
    If the barrier to T600/Bluetooth is a hardware issue, like a slow, low-power, or incompletely wired SDIO port, or otherwise, a sleeve might be a solution. But it will still need BT drivers for PalmOS5/T600. So until a HW problem is identified as the obstacle, we're better off focusing on the required driver itself.
  8. rcgabriel's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #148  
    mattruby - no it doesn't, that's the whole point. If it talks via serial to the bluetooth device, then the Treo thinks it's syncing over BT, and if it uses the audio jack for sending/receiving audio, there's no need for drivers to work with BT headsets. It would still need custom drivers only to support other Palm apps written for the Palm Bluetooth API - but most of us would be happy enough with BT sync and BT headset/handsfree use. Also writing drivers for your own hardware is only as hard as the documentation available for the hardware - in the case of the SDIO BT cards, that's essentially none, at least none that I've been able to find or that anybody has been willing to share.
  9. #149  
    Thank you rcgabriel for crystalizing the thoughts I had no idea how to address to mattruby. Keeping this out of having to be beholden to Palm for support and royalties would be akin to thumbing our noses at them for not listening to us. I am liking that idea a lot.

    Glen
  10.    #150  
    Go ahead. Have fun with it.

    Still sounds like a jury rig. Kinda like the guy who filed off the flip top of his Treo 300. He then stuffed the excess wires in the main body and glued the speaker in the hole. Filled the rest of the gaps with parts from a grey model airplane via model glue. Yeah, it worked, but it looked like crap.


    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    mattruby - no it doesn't, that's the whole point. If it talks via serial to the bluetooth device, then the Treo thinks it's syncing over BT, and if it uses the audio jack for sending/receiving audio, there's no need for drivers to work with BT headsets. It would still need custom drivers only to support other Palm apps written for the Palm Bluetooth API - but most of us would be happy enough with BT sync and BT headset/handsfree use. Also writing drivers for your own hardware is only as hard as the documentation available for the hardware - in the case of the SDIO BT cards, that's essentially none, at least none that I've been able to find or that anybody has been willing to share.
  11. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #151  
    Still sounds like a jury rig. Kinda like the guy who filed off the flip top of his Treo 300. He then stuffed the excess wires in the main body and glued the speaker in the hole. Filled the rest of the gaps with parts from a grey model airplane via model glue. Yeah, it worked, but it looked like crap.

    I agree completely with worries about aesthetics. So if anyone has already killed an external battery, rcgabriel and I would love to take it off your hands. We need a clean case to attach to the treo.
  12. #152  
    I also want it to look good. I deal with the financial powerhouses of the banking world in my position and can not go in with some stupid looking thrown together thing on my phone. I had envisioned something in leather or textured plastic as the outer shell. I spent $100+ for my case, a bluetooth SD is about $50 (retail if you look hard enough) and I think many of us would pay that much for a product that lets us use bluetooth or in the cases where someone has a $40,000 car to get it to work with thier on-board car system. Many here have pledged $50 or more just to get the software built. I think the numbers work.
  13.    #153  
    Ok, so we agree that anything that looks like a High School Science project is out. I am fine with the dollar amount.

    How do you handle mass distribution? A driver is downloadable immediately off a website once developed. Hardware is going to be more difficult.

    You'd mentioned a kit which makes me think of Radio Shack. I don't relish the idea of having to pull out my soldering iron to monkey with a $150 kit that I'll probably screw up. I won't be buying a kit.

    Also, what's the planned profile? It's going to be encased in an external battery case? That may be ok.

    So far I am still more interested in a driver for an off-the-shelf SD card. Also, Once the code is written is can be used to provide a base for BlueTooth drivers for other Palm OS devices with SD card slots like the Tungsten C, Zire whatever, etc. I feel that it's more likely to provide the needs for more people.

    On the other hand, go ahead with what you're doing because it's better than nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I also want it to look good. I deal with the financial powerhouses of the banking world in my position and can not go in with some stupid looking thrown together thing on my phone. I had envisioned something in leather or textured plastic as the outer shell. I spent $100+ for my case, a bluetooth SD is about $50 (retail if you look hard enough) and I think many of us would pay that much for a product that lets us use bluetooth or in the cases where someone has a $40,000 car to get it to work with thier on-board car system. Many here have pledged $50 or more just to get the software built. I think the numbers work.
  14. #154  
    Well, the next gen Treo looks to be anywhere from 45-270 days from release. I can see my bank account getting hit for $599. I am now officially a Treo-Holic. Is there a 12 Step plan for this or at least can I store my sponsors on favorite keys?

    And manorton, the look and feel of the sleeve that would include bluetooth I envisioned was similar to the sleeves Compaq (now HP) has for Ipaq's...take a look at those and you will see they really are nice and protect the device, act as a case and add feature/function to the product. No low class here...
  15. #155  
    where do you get this "45-270 days" stuff?
  16. #156  
    What are the chances that after the T660 is out that its BT drivers could be made to work with a SD-BT card in the T600? If this could be done and the price was right I think a lot of people would put off purchasing the T660 until the version that supports EV-DO or ED-DA or EDGE or ???? was out. I guess this still wouldn't address the audio aspect but it should allow synching and modem capabilities.

    ...David
  17.    #157  
    The Treo 660 info I've found on the net either says it's a fake or has the qualities of a tpinfo type hoax.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    What are the chances that after the T660 is out that its BT drivers could be made to work with a SD-BT card in the T600? If this could be done and the price was right I think a lot of people would put off purchasing the T660 until the version that supports EV-DO or ED-DA or EDGE or ???? was out. I guess this still wouldn't address the audio aspect but it should allow synching and modem capabilities.

    ...David
  18. #158  
    The article said depending on production woudl be available between July to December (paraphrasing of course since the article has been removed)...hope this is not another Treo 610 scam...
  19. #159  
    I believe you are looking for this.

    http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&start=1
  20.    #160  
    Why was the article pulled? Anyway doesn't matter for several reasons.

    1. They have told us lies and oversold the capabilites of new devices in the past. Remember that they said Bluetooth would be supported in the Treo 600. It's more of the same. They're always going to release devices that are missing at least one obvious feature and burn us by promising it in the next device.

    2. I am not going to be dumping my 600 just 'cause these dolts have released a new device. Also, there are a good many others who have needs for a Bluetooth driver for the SD card. Not just Treo 600 owners.

    The only way we're going going to get Bluetooth is to continue forward with what were doing. Also, we need to set an example. When they don't include a necessary feature we're going to get it developed.


    Quote Originally Posted by thevoices
    I believe you are looking for this.

    http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&start=1

Posting Permissions