Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I'm in for $30. This needs to be done but like some others, i want it for wireless headset!
    No.. it's my fault. I develop in Safari and Firefox - browsers that render CSS correctly.

Internet Explorer (as I see now) renders it all ugly. I'll get it fixed. Sorry!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Microsoft & IE - the bane of competent web developers everywhere.
    >On the advice of TreoCentral member Conrad, we have removed the
    >requirement for the use of headsets.

This part is puzzling as it seems that this is the BEST reason for BT support from a practical standpoint. The work for me in using a simple USB cable (either with a cradle or not) for synchronization with a desktop seems SO minor in benefit vs a headset use I am not sure why they would remove the requirement.

Using BT for synchronization on a Treo 600 should be secondary requirement (regardless of difficulty in development) as there is another easy option to accomplish this task and synchronization, IMO, at home or office with a cable is not something that is a hinderance. Also the basic cable comes with unit when you buy it so you are adding a feature as a redundancy to something we get ability to accomplish for free.

There is NO other option to use a BT headset other than using a different wired headset and since the benefit of being wireless out and about where a wire dangling down is really inconvenient, should not
    be diminished.

Just my opinion but I think the BT headset support in at least the most generic implementation should be a REQUIREMENT for this prize, not an option.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Just my opinion but I think the BT headset support in at least the most generic implementation should be a REQUIREMENT for this prize, not an option.
    Agreed, that is the only reason I need or want bluetooth.
    OK, I just posted my $50. This is fascinating. I'm a long term consumer of /., and the /. poster was right, this is a new form of software (or even product) development, whether open source or not. It includes an element of built in market research, as we are both focus group and survey body. The democratic nature of the on-line dialog has morphed requirements from uber to realistic. Open requirements can drive both open source code or even propriety. The claimant will determine. Cool.
    Doug
    i agree too.. if it does get bluetooth thats prob all i would use it for is just for my head set..
    the bluetooth headset was what I thought we were doing this for. why was this taken off the requirement list?
    unless I missed something, why was this removed again?
    I just put up $100. are u tellin me treocentral users can only come up w/ less than $2000? Hello we paid over 400 for a phone . . . come on guys show them the $.

TC maybe move the driver due date up some . . . this needs to be done a month or so in advance of any new Treo announcement.
    The reference to slashdot (news for nerds, pretty cool site )

http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...id=156&tid=193

proved to be very interesting. Especially the references to http://www.rentacoder.com and http://www.topcoder.com. We have caused quite a buzz on thier site, which has generated mostly positive comments. A few dont think it is worth the time or money we could generate, a few feel it is the wrong way to go, as we could have a number of teams competing for the code, instead of one team collaborating or working together, and one felt that a deadline always seems to generate, in thier terms, a long spaghetti like code that would be better reverse engineered down the road.

Maybe using rentacoder or topcoder, when the pot reaches a nice level, might be the way to go?

I found the posts from WareWo1F and fnkmaster to be most interesting, and have pasted them below.

And FYI, because of tpinfo4's retraction , and the removal of the possibilty that this driver would support a wireless headset , I removed my post that offered $50. Should we see some headway, and the driver be written for wireless headset support, I will reinstate my offer .

Great idea but.... (Score:5, Informative)
    by WareW01f (18905) on Wednesday June 16, @03:10PM (#9444654)
    It's not bloody likely. On two counts. The first being that the Treo 600 may not be compatable. I chased down individuals at the last PalmSource and tried to get to the bottom of why the 802.11 SD drivers where not being released. The main answer was that on some devices, the card would draw too much power (802.11 suck current, fancy that!) and could even fry the unit. ouch!

The second is more political than anything else. Starting with OS 5.0 (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the drivers aren't as easy to hack, the least of which is that they have to be in native ARM (as opposed to the PACE layer) Hell Armlets^H^H^H^H^H^H^H PNO's where like pulling teeth to write till resently). Things get worse in OS 6.0/Cobalt where the vendor can choose (and PalmOne will, if they ever release a Cobalt device) to require the drivers be signed in order to run. Great for preventing viruses, sucks for hackers such as myself that might want to hack on a device that I may not care to sell/commit to developer fees that may apply.

And all this before reverse engineering the card itself. Better off to wait and hope that PalmOne releases a Treo with Bluetooth built in (nudge, wink [brighthand.com])

That aside, no hurt in trying!
    [ Reply to This ]
    Re:Great idea but.... by Fnkmaster (Score:2) Wednesday June 16, @04:03PM

The odd thing... (Score:5, Informative)
    by Fnkmaster (89084) <fnkmaster@NOSpaM.viergy.com> on Wednesday June 16, @03:22PM (#9444765)
    (http://www.hardgrok.org/)
    I started mildly hacking on this very project about 2 days ago because I was so frustrated by my Treo 600's lack of Bluetooth, when the SDIO Bluetooth cards are right there for a reasonable price, but PalmOne refuses to release OS 5 driver support to avoid cannabalizing sales of their precious high-end OS 5 PDAs with integrated BT. The best starting point I found was this guy's site [whizoo.com]. Which prompted me to download the bluetooth drivers I could find from PalmSource and the remnants of the PluggedIn program from PalmOne. This segregation of Palm into a hardware and OS company has made it mighty difficult to even get decent developer information these days.

Anyway, it sounds like Peter Easton at Whizoo has already suggested a starting point - rip the BT drivers from the Tungsten|T and rewrite the Palm OS 4 SD-BT transport layer PRC for ARM/OS 5. If all this driver does is receive calls from the main BT driver and dispatch calls/receive callbacks to/from the documented SD API, then perhaps it's not too difficult to rip it apart and figure out what it's doing and rewrite it? That's a big if of course. I've never really reverse engineered a Palm app myself, though I've done a decent amount of Palm OS programming (games and apps).

But apparently IDA Pro supports Palm OS and M68k, so that might provide a reasonable route to disassembling the OS 4 transport layer PRC. Anyway, that's about as far as I've gotten with this - if anybody is interested, let me know, I do have some free time right now and I wouldn't mind putting it into solving this rather annoying problem (no, I don't really give a hoot about the bounty, but I'm going to go contribute 50 bucks to it anyway - I'd pay 100 bucks right now just for a copy of a BT driver that let me use my damn Treo 600).

[ Reply to This ]
    1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    Jeff
  11.    #91  
    Sounds like a good subject for the next or future Bounty head. Unless they don't get the Bluetooth headset working in the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    It would also be nice to have WiFi support as well as BT....wonder if they get BT working if they can also make the WiFi work also.
    folks im with u!! im happy with just bluetooth & my phone is complete.

buuut, paypal wont take confederate dollars.

hmmm...i do somethin.

later.
    WiFi is impossible unless a lower power chip is developed.

Looking back at the technical specs for sd cards, it seems that conrad/I may have misinterpreted the abilty for an sd card to do headsets... (on the pdf profiles are always listed under the software part, not the hardware part of the spec sheet)

Quick vote- do we add back in the requirement that it supports headsets, or keep it as a bonus feature? It seems that most people, myself included, primarily want this for the headsets, so it might be best to bring it back in as a requirement.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  14. JJL
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    WiFi is impossible unless a lower power chip is developed.

Looking back at the technical specs for sd cards, it seems that conrad/I may have misinterpreted the abilty for an sd card to do headsets... (on the pdf profiles are always listed under the software part, not the hardware part of the spec sheet)

Quick vote- do we add back in the requirement that it supports headsets, or keep it as a bonus feature? It seems that most people, myself included, primarily want this for the headsets, so it might be best to bring it back in as a requirement.
    Yes, please! A bluetooth card for a smartphone WITHOUT a headset profile is nice but provides very little additional value. The only other use for Bluetooth, besides headset, that would provide any value to me is to use the Treo to control presentations wirelessly. Just the opnion of a long-time lurker, infrequent poster who loves his Treo600.
    Yes....Please add it back.
    It's back as a requirement. Sorry about the misunderstanding folks.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    now that the headset is back on the list are you going to push the date back some? like at lease to the end of september?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'm in! BT by sep 6th......only a dream? I hope not.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    It's back as a requirement. Sorry about the misunderstanding folks.
    Thanks! I'll be adding some $$$ to the pot sometime today. I need Bluetooth with wireless headset support on my Treo 600 yesterday!
    w00t! over $2000
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast