Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Can there be a running tally of where the bounty is every day? I am in for $20.00
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Ok now that the money is rolling in... who are the wood-be developers that are going to do the developing?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    If the bluetooth driver supports wireless modem functionality and wireless headset, I'd add $20 also.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattruby
    I expect the community as a whole to get the drivers, not just those paying to stimulate development,
    Those putting up the bounty should get free license to the drivers with unlimited upgrades. Anyone who doesn't contribute can buy the drivers from the developer on the developer's terms. Sorry, no freebies.

the developer gains nothing by keeping the source closed
    Sure they do. They control the code and can make a killing off it until someone else comes out with competing drivers. How about the argument "Then I could sell it to an SD card manuafacturer for $$$$$"? I've worked with some very capable programmer's who are vehemently against open source.

Meanwhile, the open source will continue to stimulate BT and other driver development, which is good for everyone. The BSD license, unlike the GPL, does not require any further actions by anyone (even if they use the original source in a trivially derivative work, the source of which is then kept closed).
    What it'd stimulate are a zillion versions of the drivers most of shoddy quality.

My main motivation is the working drivers I am not in favor of anything that jeopardizes it.

We will possibly have several contenders for the bounty. .........
    Yeah, I'd thought of that. How do we handle multiple similar submissions? The one that hits all of the requirements and the most bonuses. If there's a tie then I guess they split it. Somehow I doubt that is going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatreo600
    All I want is for my Treo to work with the bluetooth handsfree kit built in to my car. If someone can make it happen I will donate / pay for a driver. I want to stop using 2 phones. It just doesn't make sense to own one of the "best" phones out there and have to buy another phone just to get handsfree.
    Like gatreo600, All I want to use bluetooth for is to use it with a headset. I will add money to the pot. However, it only helps me if I can use it with a headset. I hope that there is some way to make it happen, but conrad, obviously know more about how the sdio slot and the treo communicate than I do. I just would like to think that Handspring's developers would have thought far enough in advance to make sure it was feasible using a software driver. As posted in this thread, Handspring's initial announcement was that drivers were not available at this time, but could be added in the future!
    We at Palmloyal.com support your efforts here and has pledged $100 and have posted a new article to promote your efforts. Obviously it would be if the drivers worked on all Palm OS 5 in the end, but either way I applaud your efforts to be proactive with the cause. Good Luck.

Carl Brooks
    http://www.palmloyal.com
    This was just posted to slashdot...
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    And the server just came back to life after crashing for an hour! yeah! If only /. linked to the actual story and not the thread we would have no server troubles.

First off, thank you to all who have donated - we have more than $1200 now!

To answer a couple of questions.

Regarding our article from June 2003 about the Treo 600, and our comments on bluetooth. I do not have my notes from that conference, and frankly I am unsure if the second part of that phrase was our explaining what you could do with bluetooth, or of our asking michelle white if it will work with this and that. It was said that at the time handspring was working getting bluetooth to the Treo 600. I just don't know if headsets was supposed to be a paraphrase of what she said or not. Bad journalism I guess. *sorry*

Mattruby - Bluetooth and Wifi are completely different radio systems - their only similarity is that htey both run on the 2.4 ghz spectrum. I have never heard of a bluetooth-wifi bridge, and I am pretty sure that one is not possible. Wifi is not possible on the Treo because wifi consumes more power than the Treo SDIO port is able to give out. The Treo does have the power for a bluetooth card as they do not use much energy.

Regarding a specific tech sheet - I think that is a good idea ; I am expecting that if any developer comes forward to want to work that it will be an open process (ie talking on the boards etc), thus I am not to worried about getting very specific. However, at the same time if it was done in a closed process and 2 months from now I get an email with a working driver maybe it would be smart to have a more specific info. I guess it's up to you all - what do you think we should do? The tech part of your post, manorton is great, I want to talk about the biz part a bit though.

We will not be able to interest developers if we force them to open source their app. They (the developers) need to be able to sell this application after they finish it to make any actual money off of it. A guy from Bluemobility (they make bluetooth syncro for phones to macs) told me that developing this would cost around $50k, and that is why it has not been done commercially yet. Everyone who donates will get a free license, and sure we should add all future versions to that as well. But, the bounty as I see it is much more of an incentive to just get a driver written - a showing of demand.

In the end, the way it's set up (I'm)/(we're) trying to leave as much flexibility to the developer. They could open source it if they want. I want flexibility because this increases the chances that it could actually get done.

Maybe I'm wrong - I'm open for debate/discussion on this issue.

Thank you once again, and lets hope for the best of luck!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Put me in for $20, but only if Jabra Freespeak will be supported......
  11.    #71  
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    And the server just came back to life after crashing for an hour! yeah! If only /. linked to the actual story and not the thread we would have no server troubles.

First off, thank you to all who have donated - we have more than $1200 now!

To answer a couple of questions.

Regarding our article from June 2003 about the Treo 600, and our comments on bluetooth. I do not have my notes from that conference, and frankly I am unsure if the second part of that phrase was our explaining what you could do with bluetooth, or of our asking michelle white if it will work with this and that. It was said that at the time handspring was working getting bluetooth to the Treo 600. I just don't know if headsets was supposed to be a paraphrase of what she said or not. Bad journalism I guess. *sorry*

Mattruby - Bluetooth and Wifi are completely different radio systems - their only similarity is that htey both run on the 2.4 ghz spectrum. I have never heard of a bluetooth-wifi bridge, and I am pretty sure that one is not possible. Wifi is not possible on the Treo because wifi consumes more power than the Treo SDIO port is able to give out. The Treo does have the power for a bluetooth card as they do not use much energy.

Regarding a specific tech sheet - I think that is a good idea ; I am expecting that if any developer comes forward to want to work that it will be an open process (ie talking on the boards etc), thus I am not to worried about getting very specific. However, at the same time if it was done in a closed process and 2 months from now I get an email with a working driver maybe it would be smart to have a more specific info. I guess it's up to you all - what do you think we should do? The tech part of your post, manorton is great, I want to talk about the biz part a bit though.

We will not be able to interest developers if we force them to open source their app. They (the developers) need to be able to sell this application after they finish it to make any actual money off of it. A guy from Bluemobility (they make bluetooth syncro for phones to macs) told me that developing this would cost around $50k, and that is why it has not been done commercially yet. Everyone who donates will get a free license, and sure we should add all future versions to that as well. But, the bounty as I see it is much more of an incentive to just get a driver written - a showing of demand.

In the end, the way it's set up (I'm)/(we're) trying to leave as much flexibility to the developer. They could open source it if they want. I want flexibility because this increases the chances that it could actually get done.

Maybe I'm wrong - I'm open for debate/discussion on this issue.

Thank you once again, and lets hope for the best of luck!
    I am in the pot too... Really would like to see those Bluetooth drivers run a wireless modem to mac os X !

-CK
    I'm down for $25 now too. Didn't see a counter yet.

I mostly want it so that I can link up to my Emtac BT GPS unit and run Mapopolis. Would free me from carrying my iPAQ 5450 when traveling. Wireless "pdanet" also a big plus.
    First of all, I am new on this board - hi everybody!

Second - I have put $100 toward driver development. While I want to see it's done, I think it was pretty safe thing to do on my part - I don't think it will. I REALLY hope that I am wrong, but based on what I 've seen and read about the problem, such development virtually impossible wthout cooperation from Palm.

Now, that being said, such functionality already imlemented on number of OS5 devices ( Sony Clie for example) . Therefore it IS possible that some developer invoved with Sony ( or with Treo 610 ( hmm... if it even exist) ) can "borrow" now-how to produce working driver for Treo.

As far as wirelees headset - I don't think it can be done at all. As far as I know ( and I may be wrong - this is outside of my area ) Palm Bluetooth card DOESN'T support wireless profile, and therefore can be used for DATA ONLY. I also think that Socket and Toshibe cards are identical to palm. Actually I think it is the same card with different logo on it.

Still, it would be nice to have this card for PC connection and ( mainly for me ) for GPS....
    Ok, this is the way things get done!
    I am in for $50!
    Jim
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    We here at Palmloyal.com are pledging $100 to the Treo Bluetooth Bounty efforts. It's no secret that sites like ours benefit from the Palm OS Economy. The end-users have made our site one of the top destinations for Palm OS resources on the net. It is dedication of the end-users that make this community strong and is one of the main reasons that Palm OS maintains the lead of the competition. So we applaud the efforts of the community to be proactive in regards to this effort. We wish them the best of luck and hope that other site owners will step up to the plate.

Carl Brooks

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
    A guy from Bluemobility (they make bluetooth syncro for phones to macs) told me that developing this would cost around $50k, and that is why it has not been done commercially yet.
    Miradu - did the guy from Bluemobility confirm that a wireless headset would not work? just wondering.
  18.    #78  
    Great. The more the word is spread around the better our chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    We here at Palmloyal.com are pledging $100 to the Treo Bluetooth Bounty efforts. It's no secret that sites like ours benefit from the Palm OS Economy. The end-users have made our site one of the top destinations for Palm OS resources on the net. It is dedication of the end-users that make this community strong and is one of the main reasons that Palm OS maintains the lead of the competition. So we applaud the efforts of the community to be proactive in regards to this effort. We wish them the best of luck and hope that other site owners will step up to the plate.

Carl Brooks

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
    I wrote a live counter for the front page. If you want to put the counter on your own site, you can use an iframe on an html page, or use an include on a php page using this file: http://www.treocentral.com/special_p...nt/tccount.php (clicking it will lead you to the counter).
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  20.    #80  
    Thanks.

The numbers wrap within the box for me. Is it just my browser? I see
    $157

I wrote a live counter for the front page. If you want to put the counter on your own site, you can use an iframe on an html page, or use an include on a php page using this file: http://www.treocentral.com/special_p...nt/tccount.php (clicking it will lead you to the counter).
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast