Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    I want my bluetooth too. Would rather pay $100 for a movie taking program with .mov or .mpg output for the mac, but BT would be great for other reasons.

Ed
    http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TBeardmore
    Sorry, Yeah Yeah, but that's just wishful thinking if you believe you'll be able to pick up a Treo "Ace" for a couple hundred bucks, even if a rebate or trade-in program were to be offered. Given the popularity of the Treo 600, and that it is flying off the shelves at its current price of $599 (less rebates), on what basis should anyone presume that:

1. the price of the "Ace" will be the same as the current T600? This is an important question if you want to argue that a trade-in or rebate program will get the price of a new "Ace" down to only a couple hundred bucks. With Verizon about to announce availability of the Treo 600, and this model selling briskly thru the other carriers, there's good reason to expect that the T600 is going to be around for a while longer (just as the T270 and T300 have continued to be offered, even after the Treo 600 became available). It's been my experience that when new mobile phones with more/improved features are introduced, the previous models stay priced as they are, while the new models sell for more. For example, the Treos 270 & 300 are still being offered at pretty much the same prices they always have; their prices haven't dropped dramatically since the Treo 600 came out. Based on these precedents, it's reasonable to expect that the T600 will hold its price at $599 (excluding rebates) and the "Ace" will cost more.
    2. there will even be a trade-in program for existing T600 owners of any kind? Has PalmOne (or any vendor for that matter) ever offered a trade-in program for the T270 or T300 to upgrade to the T600? If you know something the rest of us don't, please share it with us.
    3. if a rebate or trade-in program were to be offered, we'll be able to buy an "Ace" for as little as $200? You may be able to get a $150 or perhaps even a $200 rebate, but even if the "Ace" sells for the same price as a Treo 600 today ($599), you won't be able to touch an "Ace" for under four bills. If the "Ace" sells for more than the T600, as I imagine it will, the amount to switch to it will be far more.
    4. the majority of current T600 owners will automatically jump to an "Ace"? I, for one, won't. If I can pick up a BT card for $100 (which is the going price at several online merchants) and it works with my Treo 600, it would be much less expensive than switching to an "Ace", and I'd have what I need (at least for the time being). I suspect that there may be other T600 owners who feel the same way. Although, it would be nice to have an "Ace", I don't have a compelling need for it, even if BT cannot be made to work on the T600. If I hold onto my T600 for a couple years, and wait for Sprint to roll out high-speed EV-DO, I'd rather wait for that, along with whatever nifty technologies show up in the Treo line by then.
    I hate to quote so much, I but I do believe I can get a Treo Ace for about $200 when it comes out. My reasons are largely the same as how I got a Treo 600 for $150 on the first day that Handspring had them on the website.

1. There was an upgrade offer for loyal users of somewhere around $399. So using my Treo 300 serial, I start at that price. And yes there was a trade-up program offered by Handspring, where you didn't have to trade in your device. This is well known.
    2. I called up Sprint with my contract expiring and got $100 service credit to sign on for another year. I was going to stick with them anyway, and if I'm buying a new phone that only will work for Sprint, I might as well sign on for another year. That gets me to $299.
    3. I sold my Treo 300 on ebay for $150.
    4. My final cost was $150 to upgrade.

I don't see how this doesn't happen with the Treo Ace if the price points are the same as I expect them to be. There is no way that people will buy a Treo Ace at a list price of $800 (a reasonable assumption if they were to keep the Treo 600 at $599). A much more reasonable scenario is that they push the cost of Treo 600s down and try to sell more of them.

Thus if it's possible to upgrade to the Ace for $150 as it was the Treo 600, I think most everyone would take that option than buy a $100 bluetooth card. I don't mean to be argumentative, and realize this is off the topic of the thread, but I feel the need to explain how upgrading to an Ace (if it's handled the same as before) will be cheaper than most people think. It might not be handled as it was before, but I have to throw it out there that it might.
  3.    #203  
    So we broke 5K.
    Soooo, whatever happened with this? Did I miss something or has the consensus become that it's impossible? :-(
    Sure, I'll probably pick up an Ace when it's available (even if I get BT to work with the 600), but I'm locked into a two year contract with Verizon and they take FOREVER to get phones 'authorized' on their system.
    Dagnabbit! I _need_ bluetooth on my 600!!

-Ed T.
    You'll see a new BT model of the Treo 600 before this pans out in my opinion. Also keep in mind the prize is not tied into any BT headset support as such which I personally think is ludicrous as that is main reason to offer BT - not to replace a once a day 3' cable synch. :-)

More importantly, I understand creating a driver as we desire is quite difficult for BT headset support so save up your money for the next model.

To answer your posting, you missed nothing yet.
    Awwwww, crap. :-(

Thanks for the update.

I agree, the primary reason I want BT is for headset support. I nearly strangled myself the other day when my headset got tangled up in the seatbelt.
    I've done the Bluetooth SD card thing with the Palm m500 series before. I also use a Bluetooth Pocket PC. Carrying any handset with an SD card sticking out of the slot is problematic. I've personally sheared off a Bluetooth card, so I have a little experince with this. Other than the fact that I count on my expansion memory card all day long, I just don't like having to swap-out cards each time I want to do something new. Give me built-in wireless and a nice big memory card -- that's all I need.

On the Treo 600, Bluetooth headset integration is the most missing functionality followed by Bluetooth GPS. Stereo headset functionality is also a necessary feature that seems to keep getting left out of Bluetooth integrations across platforms. Wireless synchronization is a major yawner in my opinion. I have to charge my unit every day anyway, so placing it in a cradle and hitting the HotSync button isn't a real reach for me. I was really unhappy to see headset integration left out of the contest.

I'd also rather see the Bluetooth integration to involve the connector at the bottom of the unit rather than the SD slot. A "sleeve" or "sled" would be a better choice than utilizing that underpowered SDIO slot. A slip-on sleeve would even allow for additional power storage to power the Bluetooth without drawing on the unit's power.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    I think the time is almost up on our bluetooth quest, isn't it?

sept sometime and the offer expires? if so, what happens to our donations?

it doesn't look like anything is going to come of this... its been a dead issue since the ace has been leaked.

are we hanging it up?
    I still stand by my original thought that the ACE umors never became an issue untill this thread/effort started. Seems kind of suspicious to me...but just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me...
    Regarding donations after Sept. 6th if no working driver is created: As we promised that pledges would only be used, and credit cards charged, if a working driver was created, if one is not, after Sept. 6th we will destroy all records of pledgers credit cards and private information such as addresses; credit cards will not be charged.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    Wireless synchronization is a major yawner in my opinion... I was really unhappy to see headset integration left out of the contest.
    I personally agree with both statements.

Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    I'd also rather see the Bluetooth integration to involve the connector at the bottom of the unit rather than the SD slot..
    But now you have a bigger problem which is the defined "standard" connector is obsolete and every peripheral that uses it will no longer work AND you have to buy them again or buy adapters that may or not may integrate correctly. Based on that, I do not agree this is a good idea. Some have hundreds of $ invested and we would not see a new line from every manufacturer if PalmSource did that for years if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Regarding donations after Sept. 6th if no working driver is created: As we promised that pledges would only be used, and credit cards charged, if a working driver was created, if one is not, after Sept. 6th we will destroy all records of pledgers credit cards and private information such as addresses; credit cards will not be charged.
    Sept 6th - is the release date of the Ace? Are you TC guys leaking info again?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Sept 6th - is the release date of the Ace? Are you TC guys leaking info again?
    No, I think that's the contest deadline date.

Quote Originally Posted by pmfine
    But now you have a bigger problem which is the defined "standard" connector is obsolete and every peripheral that uses it will no longer work AND you have to buy them again or buy adapters that may or not may integrate correctly. Based on that, I do not agree this is a good idea. Some have hundreds of $ invested and we would not see a new line from every manufacturer if PalmSource did that for years if at all.
    "There are risks and costs to a program of action, but, those are far less than the risks and costs of comfortable inaction." HP has managed to find a way to keep the same connector across several iterations and supply a physical adapter for case differences. Ideally, a caliper-based structure with a swapable dongle would suffice. Don't think of the limitations, think of how to avoid the limitations.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    Hmmm.... With the bounty offer set to expire on September 6th, has there been any further word on the development efforts?

Best,
    Tom
    I'm not surprised the bounty hasn't attracted serious development effort, despite its size. There's no reliable specs on the HW, specifically power consumption by WiFi cards vs. power supply from the SDIO slot, and only vague specs on the requirements for claiming the bounty. Developing for a single customer with a single acceptor is risky enough. But experienced programmers won't want to spend the time to compete for the prize, especially if they spend weeks researching and developing, then lose because of an unstated rule, or maybe submitting a few hours later than the winner. This experiment in SW bounty shows the comparative strengths of project management in competitive software, and the cooperative strength of more ad hoc development models, without the competition.

In a couple of weeks, the big question will be "what does TreoCentral do with the money?". Yet another unspecified feature of this bounty.
    why is the bounty actually ending at this time?

I pledged $20 and I for 1 did not know there was a time limit on this project, I'm happy to continue it for another 3 months.

Cheers,
    Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by mattruby
    In a couple of weeks, the big question will be "what does TreoCentral do with the money?". Yet another unspecified feature of this bounty.
    As stipulated in the bounty offer, and repeated by Miradu in his 8/14/04 post, no monies have been collected from those who have pledged their support. None of us will be charged unless a developer is awarded the bounty by delivering a working BT driver for the Treo 600. If, after September 6, no developers claim the bounty, the pledges will be discarded.

See Miradu's post from August 14th:

Quote Originally Posted by Miradu
    Best,
    Tom
    If the new Ace is true, who cares about this bounty. Most will buy the new integrated product anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    why is the bounty actually ending at this time?

I pledged $20 and I for 1 did not know there was a time limit on this project, I'm happy to continue it for another 3 months.

Cheers,
    Dean
    See the last paragraph of the Bluetooth Bounty page at http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/341-1.htm, which reads:

The Bluetooth Bounty will expire on September 6, 2004. Any possible driver must be completed before that date to win the bounty.
    Best,
    Tom
    I will probably be on the list of people purchasing the "Ace" or treo 650 in lieu of a bluetooth card.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast