Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayazo

It's all marketing. Convince me to buy the base unit with just enough features to keep me happy for a while, then a little later, tempt me with new features to buy the phone again because it will do more, be even more useful. It's a vicious consumer cycle designed to make the corporates money, and it works pretty damn good. Why sell one fully loaded phone when you can sell a partially loaded phone and get me to buy another. THey make twice as much money off me that way Why update the phone OS for the user when you can force them to buy a new phone if they want new OS features?
    Yeah I made this realization back in 2000 when I looked at my friends shiny new Zip Drive... we all remember those things ^-^

So it was one of those sleek thin zip drives and had a single USB cable which connected it to the computer and powered it. Meanwhile i had a zip drive which i bought in 98 which was the chunkier blockier beast of a zip drive with a power adapter which weighed about a 1 pound and a half at home. so as i was marveling at his sleek zip drive i happened to notice the build date... the build date was 97. This was the first time i ever noticed the ludicrosy.. i was about 17 at the time so i was just like DAMN so THATS how these guys work huh... bleh.. corporate america... thats why i give the shaft to best buy and circuit city with a grin when i use my replacement plans over and over and over.

WTF was that?

a tumbleweed rolling through here?!?
  3.    #183  
    Bounty is still growing. Over 4k. Any bets on 10k by Sept?

Quote Originally Posted by TBeardmore

Things have been awfully quiet in this thread lately. No posts since 6/30!

Any update on developers working on the BT driver?

Best,
    TRB
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    i'll bet....that it wont be 10k, or even 5k. if the new treo supposedly got BT....there's no point.
    it will still be important to the people who don't upgrade! All those 600 users will still want bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    it will still be important to the people who don't upgrade! All those 600 users will still want bluetooth.
    i see how important it is to them.....i mean look at this thread. this thread fell off ever since the "annoucement" of the treo ace w/ BT.

the only people that's going to need it is.....people who dont want to upgrade and verizon users. cause if verizon is now about to get the 600, no telling when they will get the ace.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    i see how important it is to them.....i mean look at this thread. this thread fell off ever since the "annoucement" of the treo ace w/ BT.

the only people that's going to need it is.....people who dont want to upgrade and verizon users. cause if verizon is now about to get the 600, no telling when they will get the ace.
    In this case, I suspect your cause and affect aren't necessarily associated. There was plenty of discussion following the "announcement" up to June 30th. I think that three things have led to the drop-off:

1. Independence day weekend and the start of summer vacation trips for many of us.
    2. The "Ace" discussion was getting off-topic in this thread, and moved elsewhere in this forum.
    3. There's not much more that can be said about the BT driver at this stage. The money's still growing bit-by-bit, and all that the rest of us are waiting for is its (hopefully) imminent release.

I, for one, have every intention of keeping my T600 for at least two years, whether or not Bluetooth can be made a reality for it.

Best,
    TRB
    Last edited by TBeardmore; 07/09/2004 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
    Quote Originally Posted by TBeardmore
    In this case, I suspect your cause and affect aren't necessarily associated. There was plenty of discussion following the "announcement" up to June 30th. I think that three things have led to the drop-off:

1. Independence day weekend and the start of summer vacation trips for many of us.
    2. The "Ace" discussion was getting off-topic in this thread, and moved elsewhere in this forum.
    3. There's not much more that can be said about the BT driver at this stage. The money's still growing bit-by-bit, and all that the rest of us are waiting for is its (hopefully) imminent release.

I, for one, have every intention of keeping my T600 for at least two years, whether or not Bluetooth can be made a reality for it.

Best,
    TRB
    the 4th of july weekend doesn't have anything to do with this. the last BT associated post in this thread was on the 30th. the same day as the "annoucement". before then, people were religiously posting in here discussing everything about BT, how it can be made, developed, how, etc etc. once the annoucement popped out, discussion was over. look on this page and the last....no BT talk except for this thread being dead. and your last point of there's nothing left to talk about on the BT driver....um why not? what changed from the 30th and now...? besides the annoucement...? the 30th was on a wednesday....last wednesday as a matter of fact. and from then to now....there's been 10 posts (including this one). 3 of them from me saying that the BT driver is dead. 2 of them coming from you UPing the thread. and the other 5 were either jokes or trying to UP the thread as well.

back to the subject. IF they're is a BT card/driver to come out, would it be worth it. doesn't a BT/256 SD card run for 100+? IF palmone is offering a tradein for their phone for 399, i think MAJORITY of the people would jump on that instead. well hell, MAJORITY of the people going to jump on it anyway. regardless if the BT can work on the 600. why pay for a 100+ card just for BT when a couple hundred can get the BT, high res, and whatever upgrades the 660/ACE is supposed to have?
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    hey...they're might be luck. weeks after the Zire72 was released, a company released a BT card for the Zire71. when the 71 come out...?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    The 4th of july weekend doesn't have anything to do with this. the last BT associated post in this thread was on the 30th. the same day as the "annoucement".
    With all due respect, the leaked announcement didn't occur on the 30th, as you've suggested. It occurred on TreoCentral on 6/24/04, and "disappeared" a few days later. Although the original information was removed, a quick Google search will pull up third-party sites referring to the article that was posted here. SprintUsers.com, for example, refers to it here:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45401

Note the date of the post: 6/24/04.

Also, searching the TreoCentral forum also shows lots of posts about the "Ace" following this date, including in this dicsussion tread. And while the discussions following the leak were predominated by the rumored "Ace", there continued to be a few discussions about the BT driver.

Before then, people were religiously posting in here discussing everything about BT, how it can be made, developed, how, etc etc. once the annoucement popped out, discussion was over. look on this page and the last....no BT talk except for this thread being dead. and your last point of there's nothing left to talk about on the BT driver....um why not? what changed from the 30th and now...? besides the annoucement...?
    Well, along with the reasons I suggested in my previous post, there was also mention by miradu (a TreoCentral staffer) on 6/25 (the day after the leak) that a developer had started working on the driver. With all of the requirements and wish-lists about a BT driver being well-known by that point, there was really little more to be said about it. I suspect that's also contributed to why this thread hasn't been very active lately (although I would like to hear any new news about development efforts). However, if you'll check this thread leading up to 6/24 (the date of the leaked announcement), you'll observe that the rate of posts had already begun to fall off, compared to the early days immediately following the announcment of the BT bounty/bribe. We've all had our say about what we wanted/needed in the BT driver. 'Nuff said.

Back to the subject. IF they're is a BT card/driver to come out, would it be worth it. doesn't a BT/256 SD card run for 100+? IF palmone is offering a tradein for their phone for 399, i think MAJORITY of the people would jump on that instead.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody at PalmOne (or anywhere else for that matter) has announced a trade-in program. For crying out loud, no one has even officially announced the "Ace" yet, presuming it even exists (and I think it does). That's all blue-sky stuff, and hoping that PalmOne or any of the carriers/vendors are going to be magnanimous enough to offer a trade-in program for $399 sounds pretty "iffy" to me. I'd rather gamble on the possibility of a BT driver for my T600 and the purchase of a $100 SD BT card. There are, to be sure, rebate programs offered by various carriers, but you have to switch from your current carrier, set up new service, or you have to have been a customer who hasn't activated a new phone for 18 months and want to upgrade to a new phone. But not even those are trade-in programs, per se, and none of those are more than $200 off (or rebated).

well hell, MAJORITY of the people going to jump on it anyway. regardless if the BT can work on the 600. why pay for a 100+ card just for BT when a couple hundred can get the BT, high res, and whatever upgrades the 660/ACE is supposed to have?
    Sorry, Yeah Yeah, but that's just wishful thinking if you believe you'll be able to pick up a Treo "Ace" for a couple hundred bucks, even if a rebate or trade-in program were to be offered. Given the popularity of the Treo 600, and that it is flying off the shelves at its current price of $599 (less rebates), on what basis should anyone presume that:

1. the price of the "Ace" will be the same as the current T600? This is an important question if you want to argue that a trade-in or rebate program will get the price of a new "Ace" down to only a couple hundred bucks. With Verizon about to announce availability of the Treo 600, and this model selling briskly thru the other carriers, there's good reason to expect that the T600 is going to be around for a while longer (just as the T270 and T300 have continued to be offered, even after the Treo 600 became available). It's been my experience that when new mobile phones with more/improved features are introduced, the previous models stay priced as they are, while the new models sell for more. For example, the Treos 270 & 300 are still being offered at pretty much the same prices they always have; their prices haven't dropped dramatically since the Treo 600 came out. Based on these precedents, it's reasonable to expect that the T600 will hold its price at $599 (excluding rebates) and the "Ace" will cost more.
    2. there will even be a trade-in program for existing T600 owners of any kind? Has PalmOne (or any vendor for that matter) ever offered a trade-in program for the T270 or T300 to upgrade to the T600? If you know something the rest of us don't, please share it with us.
    3. if a rebate or trade-in program were to be offered, we'll be able to buy an "Ace" for as little as $200? You may be able to get a $150 or perhaps even a $200 rebate, but even if the "Ace" sells for the same price as a Treo 600 today ($599), you won't be able to touch an "Ace" for under four bills. If the "Ace" sells for more than the T600, as I imagine it will, the amount to switch to it will be far more.
    4. the majority of current T600 owners will automatically jump to an "Ace"? I, for one, won't. If I can pick up a BT card for $100 (which is the going price at several online merchants) and it works with my Treo 600, it would be much less expensive than switching to an "Ace", and I'd have what I need (at least for the time being). I suspect that there may be other T600 owners who feel the same way. Although, it would be nice to have an "Ace", I don't have a compelling need for it, even if BT cannot be made to work on the T600. If I hold onto my T600 for a couple years, and wait for Sprint to roll out high-speed EV-DO, I'd rather wait for that, along with whatever nifty technologies show up in the Treo line by then.

Yeah yeah, you can agree with me or not. It makes no difference to me. I know what I'm going to do regarding the "Ace" if/when it comes out, and anyone else can do as they wish. I have my reasons for believing why the posts have declined in this thread, and you have yours. We're both entitled to our opinions. There may be some validity in what you've said, but I don't believe it's as simple as you've suggested. You have no basis to discredit me or my opinions, and from what I've been able to see, your arguments are full of holes.

Best,
    TRB
    Last edited by TBeardmore; 07/10/2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Updated information
    um, i didn't claim half of the things that you said i said in your...list. notice the keywords, "annoucement" and IF. i never claimed that EVERYONE would upgrade, i said the marjority. and that's a given. majority of the people on this board would copp the 660/ace whenever it's released. and on the upgrade program....i did say IF palmone offers the trade in. so notice those keywords before you start saying that i said this, and i claimed that.

and i could careless. there was no need for you to catch feelings. i bought the 600 knowing there would be a upgrade to it within a year. and probably a lot of the people on this board knew that as well. i understand that you want your money's worth out of this phone. we just have 2 different mindsets. and i wasnt discrediting you on anything. i spent a good 300 on this phone the day it came out. and that 300 was to last me till next year or when the next phone came out.
    Does anyone know how to contact Marcus aside from PM or email? I tried BOTH ways and each were unsuccessful. PM's were full and email was returned.

Marcus I really do need to speak with you; but availabilty to you is slim to none.
    No, I cant post here what I have to say ~ at this time.

RE: Bluetooth Drivers
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I got tired of wating...BT for T600 seems to be in limbo...so I bought the Reason "unleash" wireless headset..very nice.
    the sound of howling winds and rolling tumbleweeds....
    Honestly, most of you guys sound like Desperadoes or Junkies. The Treo is a big time rip off IMO. That is why most of you dudes are so desperate for Bluetooth. Bluetooth on the Palm Zire 72 with the Web Pro Browser moves faster than Blazer on the Treo 600.

Wifi and Bluetooth is where its at.
    just burnt my last joint, rarebird, can ya wifi or bluetooth me another with your zire 72?
    well here's the thing, you cant make any calls on the zire, and there's the big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    just burnt my last joint, rarebird, can ya wifi or bluetooth me another with your zire 72?
    well here's the thing, you cant make any calls on the zire, and there's the big difference.
    hahaha no sht right? He musta scored some good stuff.

Treo is a big time rip off? Ohhh puleeez, don't get me started.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by rarebird
    Honestly, most of you guys sound like Desperadoes or Junkies. The Treo is a big time rip off IMO. That is why most of you dudes are so desperate for Bluetooth. Bluetooth on the Palm Zire 72 with the Web Pro Browser moves faster than Blazer on the Treo 600.

Wifi and Bluetooth is where its at.

I had this huge rant typed in -- but then I decided it just wasnt worth it, and it would be better to go with the obvious. So -- your a tool.

Can we please get back to the topic at hand now?

Hows that bluetooth stuff coming along?
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    How about August? :-D We're still working on getting a driver, and we're looking into trying to create a last month push into getting something done. We might have some extra help to do this, we might not- it's in development.

There are now three developers (to my knowledge) who have expressed real interest, or are actually working on a driver. I also have a possible lead that might yield some basic support.

Again, as I said, this thing ain't dead yet, and we're still working on finding a solution. Don't give up hope yet!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    keep pioneering, fellas! im waiting on the BIG BLUETOOTH BREAKTTHROUGH ON TREOCENTRAL!!! it will be all over every forum once this happens!