1.    #1  
    There seems to be an awful lot of controversy over whether or not GSM Treo 600s can handle voice and data "at the same time".

On CDMA, my understanding (don't have a CDMA version) is that if you are in a data session, incoming voice calls will drop to voice mail. How does that perception match up with reality?

On GSM, here's my experience, from playing around.

I start a download of email in Snapper. While it's downloading, I call my Treo 600 from my house phone. My Treo rings, and I am able to answer the call.

Once while on a (fairly long) phone call using the Treo, Snapper dinged at me to indicate it had received new email. I've never had this happen again, but I haven't specifically tried to reproduce it (only had my Treo for a couple of weeks).

a) seems to indicate that the Treo was able to easily pause the data transfer

b) (unless I was delusional) indicates an ability to handle voice and data at the same time

a) I have been able to reproduce this over and over

This goes against some recent posts saying that the GSM abilities were mostly urban legend for the Treo 600.

Is this a combination of carrier & hardware capabilities? Maybe the GSM versions can do this, but only in areas/with carriers that support it?
    You've got the CDMA scenario correct - if data is streaming, then voice calls go straight to VM.

What I just read on a post this weekend was that GSM/GPRS would "pause" the data stream and then try and pick it back up after the voice interruption. So you still can't surf the web while on a voice call, but it's more graceful than CDMA (if you prioritize voice over data).
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuslf
    There seems to be an awful lot of controversy over whether or not GSM Treo 600s can handle voice and data "at the same time".

On CDMA, my understanding (don't have a CDMA version) is that if you are in a data session, incoming voice calls will drop to voice mail. How does that perception match up with reality?

On GSM, here's my experience, from playing around.

I start a download of email in Snapper. While it's downloading, I call my Treo 600 from my house phone. My Treo rings, and I am able to answer the call.
    I suspect that downloading the email must have provided enough gaps to allow the voice call to 'slip' in. Both imap and pop protocols have quite a bit of give and take that might have allowed a call to get through.

Here is another test to try. Go to a site that has a large .prc file you can download, like 100+ KB file. Once the download has started, quickly dial your phone. If the ringing times out while you are still in the midst of the download, you will likely get sent to voice mail. This is what I just duplicated on my T-Mo GSM Treo 600. (I originally tried this test several months ago when I was sure that the GSM 600 could handle the data/voice collision better.)

What your test does show is that it is _difficult_ to trigger the data/voice issue with GSM phones though.
    Check out this link. An excellent explination of how GPRS works. GPRS is for GSM folks.

http://www.intel.com/update/contents/wi10021.htm

1xRtt is Sprint's version of the data. Here is a link woith some explination on how sprint's network works.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,87564,00.asp