Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41  
    Remember that if a developer wishes to use WMA in their product, they usually can't distribute it as a plugin. Microsoft generally will not let them.

    Also, I think that part of the reason why Pocket tunes turned to WMA support, is because in the future they are going to add support for DRM in WMA... this is one step towards that. Notice how they now incorperate windows media player with pocket tunes. If DRM support is to come, then integration with Windows Media Player is probably going to be a necessity. Anyway, looking at the current situation, that's my take on things.

    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    ...but if the licensing on the WMA plugin has caused the price to be higher, it is a shame they don't individually sell the plugin as an add-on so for future version with features we actually want, we don't have to be contributing to Microsofts purse when many of us don't want or need WMA support!
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill
    And since when could you just convert to MP3 in explorer?
    A long time I think, as I stated, you have to laod a MP3 converstion app. I use DBpowerAMP. I just load it on this PC I am borrowing, just to make sure I am not seeing/remembering things. After you install said program, then you can right click on a .wav or others and have a choice for convert, as well as edit tag too.

    So I guess you can't convert in explorer, you can convert using explorer.Just like you can send files to a IrDA device from Explorer (if one is detected).

    I like simple, it would just be nice if I could still see my cd's that I bought with my own money, via explorer, in a simple .wav formate, so I could then just right click and let it convert.

    But since I can't seem to find out how to do this anymore, then I would like to use WMA, since I have (simpler) too copy to the hardrive first to a WMA formate anyway to even see these songs that I boaught. Am I missing something simple here, please say yes, I would love to be able to see the songs antoher way.



    Joele,
    If a song is converted to wma at 128kps and it's quality is 95% and the same song is converted to a MP3 at 128kps and it's quality is 80%, then for the same about of memeory useage, the wma is better then, correct?
    But ogg beats them both. It's just that I would have to take my CD, convert it to wma to even see it, then convert to ogg, if I wanted to go that route.

    SO I guess it's all what you want. If you want small file size, the quailty, looks like MP3pro (64kps) is the way to go. If you want quailty and with the smallest size, looks like WMA. If you want somehting universal, then MP3.OGG is a good compramise it looks like too.I will choose wma then, just becuase it's less steps for me to do, and my wife uses them on her Rio Nitrus.

    Thanks,Matt

    If I am totaly missing the boat here, please let me know. I am not a pro, nor do I play one on TV...
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 06/15/2004 at 03:02 AM.
  3. joele's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #43  
    Fair enough WMA may be the easiest option for you esp within Windows and using the music with ms media player, I don't use windows myself so I have no need/desire to use WMA, but I understand that maybe it is easier for others...

    P.S. regardless of what format 64kbs is not going to be real good quality!

    P.P.S. That whole no-plugins for WMA issue is just more typical MS crap that makes me sooo glad I stopped using their products
  4. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    A long time I think, as I stated, you have to laod a MP3 converstion app. I use DBpowerAMP. I just load it on this PC I am borrowing, just to make sure I am not seeing/remembering things. After you install said program, then you can right click on a .wav or others and have a choice for convert, as well as edit tag too.

    So I guess you can't convert in explorer, you can convert using explorer.Just like you can send files to a IrDA device from Explorer (if one is detected).

    I like simple, it would just be nice if I could still see my cd's that I bought with my own money, via explorer, in a simple .wav formate, so I could then just right click and let it convert.

    But since I can't seem to find out how to do this anymore, then I would like to use WMA, since I have (simpler) too copy to the hardrive first to a WMA formate anyway to even see these songs that I boaught. Am I missing something simple here, please say yes, I would love to be able to see the songs antoher way.



    Joele,
    If a song is converted to wma at 128kps and it's quality is 95% and the same song is converted to a MP3 at 128kps and it's quality is 80%, then for the same about of memeory useage, the wma is better then, correct?
    But ogg beats them both. It's just that I would have to take my CD, convert it to wma to even see it, then convert to ogg, if I wanted to go that route.

    SO I guess it's all what you want. If you want small file size, the quailty, looks like MP3pro (64kps) is the way to go. If you want quailty and with the smallest size, looks like WMA. If you want somehting universal, then MP3.OGG is a good compramise it looks like too.I will choose wma then, just becuase it's less steps for me to do, and my wife uses them on her Rio Nitrus.

    Thanks,Matt

    If I am totaly missing the boat here, please let me know. I am not a pro, nor do I play one on TV...
    ..

    You are missing the boat. There is no need to convert any track twice. You need to search on the net for a app that converts to whatever format you want to use. Then just convert to that. I cannnot remember which program I used to use, but it was a LAME 3.92 program. That is what I recommend, or whatever LAME version is currently out. Or you can get a program that converts directly to OGG. You should never convert to WMA, then convert that to something else, you will have a loss of sound quality.
  5. #45  
    They are asking $15 for an upgrade that includes increased functionality. if you need this functionality buy it...if not then don't. As long as they offer bug fixes for the versions previously purchased what's the problem?

    It's not like anyone bought PT because they were told it supported WMA.

    As for the Apple is better than Microsoft stuff...please! Apple is upgrading and charging $100 a pop for OS upgrades and they appear to be coming a lot faster than MS releases. One is no better than the other.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I cannnot remember which program I used to use, but it was a LAME 3.92 program. That is what I recommend, or whatever LAME version is currently out. Or you can get a program that converts directly to OGG.
    Information about the LAME project is hosted at Sourceforge but you'll have to search a little for compiled copies of LAME 3.96. Whatever you do, you're going to want to read about all this a little bit as this software is a touch tricky to set up initially. For instance, you'll find that some people argue in favor of LAME 3.92 over LAME 3.94.

    A compiled Ogg Vorbis encoder will work pretty much the same as the LAME encoder (requiring different settings, of course). The whole Ogg thing is pretty nifty.

    There are a lot of programs that use the LAME & Ogg Vorbis encoders. I use Exact Audio Copy but many people prefer CDex.

    ls3mach is correct in saying that you do not need to convert a CD to WMA files before converting it to Ogg Vorbis or MP3. Indeed, it is not a good idea to do this as you will wind up with lower fidelity files that are not compressed as much as they could be. If you install a program like EAC you will be able to "see" the tracks on your CDs and the program will rip them right from the source. ...That's the point.

    For more exciting fun, check out Tag & Rename. (There are other programs similar to this one that are free, but somewhat less pretty.)

    There -- now everyone has the tools required to become a record collection reorganizing audiophile.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    They are asking $15 for an upgrade that includes increased functionality. if you need this functionality buy it...if not then don't. As long as they offer bug fixes for the versions previously purchased what's the problem?
    I haven't heard anything about Normsoft continuing support on 2.x. Unless I'm mistaking, those of us that aren't upgrading are SOL.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  8. joele's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    As for the Apple is better than Microsoft stuff...please! Apple is upgrading and charging $100 a pop for OS upgrades and they appear to be coming a lot faster than MS releases. One is no better than the other.
    A few people talking about Linux here, I missed the stuff about Apple?
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    As for the Apple is better than Microsoft stuff...please! Apple is upgrading and charging $100 a pop for OS upgrades and they appear to be coming a lot faster than MS releases. One is no better than the other.
    Let's clear this thing up: Apple is better than Microsoft. Apples' upgrades are a different matter
    On a similar subject, a good point was made by joele in another thread that WMA is a Microsoft's proprietary because "MS owns the format and charges licences to companies like Normsoft to use this format, who inturn passes these charges on to us..." MP3, on the other hand, is no-one's proprietary therefore it is free. If you chose to pay Microsoft go ahead and use WMA. I refuse to make Bill richer than he already is when a free format is available!
    Last edited by m00se; 06/15/2004 at 10:42 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  10. #50  
    That's not quite right -- MP3 is owned by Fraunhofer. They do not charge individual users to the MP3 format for personal use (and I have no clue what licensing is like for commercial use) but it is a proprietary, licensed format. If you're looking for Free software (as in freedom of speech, which is different from not having to pay for something), you're looking for Ogg Vorbis.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
  11. joele's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #51  
    Yeah Ogg is the way to go, only opensource format of the 3 listed!
  12. #52  
    I know not to convert from Cd to WMA, then to MP3. I need to go home and check, but I thought I was using DBpowerAMP to go right from the CD to MP3. It 's just more combersome and the tags are not good.

    Now (thanks to this thread) I know about tag&rename type apps amd this will help, but I would still have liked a way to just do it from Explorer.

    SO my question was, as I missing something to assume that I can no longer open Explorere, right click on the .wav file in the CD ROM and convert to MP3 like I use too. The main thing is, I can't view CD music files via Explorer anymore.

    Is this just me? Are there poeple out there using windows that can use explorer to see the .wav files in the CD when in the drive?

    Perhaps XP can do this?

    Anyway, thanks for the help so far. matt
  13. #53  
    What version of Windows Media Player do you have installed? I'm under the impression that upgrades to WMP have messed around with the way Explorer sees my optical drives. I'm using XP and basically have the same situation you described -- I remember Explorer displaying the contents of a CD as .CDA files, but it doesn't seem willing to show me anything anymore. This is annoying when I want to play enhanced CD content (which is rare) but other than that it's not a big deal. I've only had one CD refuse to cooperate with EAC, so I don't feel like I'm missing much functionality, but it does feel a little weird.

    Setting up a GNU/Linux box always winds up looking like a more practical idea when I start thinking about these things -- from email & web browser to media software, almost everything I use my Windows PC for can be accounted for with Open Source or Free software.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    What version of Windows Media Player do you have installed? I'm under the impression that upgrades to WMP have messed around with the way Explorer sees my optical drives. I'm using XP and basically have the same situation you described -- I remember Explorer displaying the contents of a CD as .CDA files, but it doesn't seem willing to show me anything anymore.
    I am using V9 now. I was using V6 or somehting up untill last week. the only reason I switched to 9, was in hope it would fix this issue. I think it was from either an update fromt eh Microsoft update page or an updated version of Media Player that did it. Just like you are saying and seeing.
    Nice to know I am not crazy, so you use to be able to view the CD files, and now your locked out (for lack of a better) word too.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by loudpocket
    people actually use WMAs? this is the last feature i'd ever think of paying for.
    Personally, I am in total agreement with you about anything having to do with Microshaft and Windoze products. Who would really want to pay for anything alowing that kind of crap on a Palm device.

    But then I do relaize everone has their own opinion and that is what makes the forums such an interesting place to visit.

    Windoze advertisement, "Failure is not an option, it is included with every release of our products."
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  16. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #56  
    I love Microsoft! I wish they made more things, like cars. Imagine how great the cars would be. http://www.aaronscollection.com/jokes/jokes0044.htm
  17. #57  
    About all this conversion stuff:

    I have no problem viewing an audio cd's contents (ie ".cda" files). I don't use Windows Media Player for music, just some videos once in a while, but I believe I do have the latest version installed. I have Windows XP Pro with SP1.

    I don't know about simple right clicking and converting to MP3 or another compressed format. Seems to me that such a program would be nice; however, one would lose the power of a full audio extraction program. What's so difficult about loading a program, hitting a button, and getting your tunez compressed just the way you like?

    I use Exact Audio Copy and the Ogg Vorbis encoder, for which links have already been posted. It was very easy to set up, and the extraction and encoding quality is unsurpassed. There's even a beginner mode in EAC I think.

    My point is that with a little effort, you can avoid all the wma stuff and have something better. The thing with Microsoft products is that you have to either use ALL Microsoft or none, as they are often incompatible with anything else.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions