Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    Ah, free speech is a wonderful thing, and so is debate IMHO.

I do feel the need to openly air my objection to the charge, I also spend plenty on new and innovative programmes for the $600 device and do not resent paying for reasonablly priced sofware or upgrades.
    Normsoft might reply to my email soon, and I shall let you know what they have to say, they are entitled to their opinion too :-)
    Fair enough! Let us know what they say. Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by loudpocket
    people actually use WMAs? this is the last feature i'd ever think of paying for.
    Your almost forced to use WMA, thanks to MicoShaft and WinDoze. I use to be able to see my songs on my CD's via explorer as wav. now I can even view them, I have to use Media Player to copy them to the harddrivve of my PC, in WMA. Then I can do things with it. WMA uses less data then MP3 for the same quailty it seems, so I can fit more songs, that sound the same with WMA, verses MP3.

Just my 2-cents. <Matt
    yet another thing that makes me extremely glad I don't have to use windows. but I guess if you've been trapped by microsoft's crap, it'll be nice to be able to play them in ptunes. maybe they'll put AAC support in next ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I purchased the Deluxe version in mid-March, wrote to Normsoft about a bug in early May and was told that it would be fixed in the next release. But now I'm told that I'm not entitled to a free upgrade, either. I was told that Microsoft software was full of bugs - I replied that Microsoft does not charge for bug fixes.

really?

what microsoft do you do business with?

you think all those x.0 releases dont fix some bugs that were in the previous versions? oh, but they give those (x.0 releases) away.

what about apple? they release a bug fix every year like clock work and it cost you $100 to get it.

normsoft is a business, they are trying to make money so they can make a living for themselves and their families.

If you dont like their policies move on (not that i'm asking you to stop complaining aabout it). real player is an alternative or make your own and give it away.

fyi, this is what normsoft had to say about this today:

RE: Upgrade complaints

Look, we're trying to make a living from NormSoft. We're not getting rich,
    not by a long shot. For the past 3-4 months, we have been working solid on
    Pocket Tunes 3.0. I have personally been working 12 hours a day, 7 days a
    week, with a rare break for family responsibilities, and those have
    suffered.

If you don't feel that my time is worth $10-$20 for the upgrade (it's less
    than what you'd pay to order out lunch or dinner, and you get to use Pocket
    Tunes as much as you want, unlike that hamburger ), then don't upgrade.
    If everyone feels that way, then it will be clear to us that we did
    something wrong because we'll be broke.

But please don't complain that we're not giving away our hard work for free!
    Besides the licensing costs that we have to pay (and it's not just WMA;
    there are other licensing fees we're paying for in 3.0), we've spent a lot
    of time and money and made a lot of sacrifices to improve the product.

I could say a lot more, but I will leave it at this: You have version
    2.3.4, which is stable and full-featured and well worth what you paid. If
    you don't want the 3.0 features, then don't upgrade, and wait until we add
    something that you do want.

Incidentally, we've gotten far more upgrades and compliments than
    complaints. Thank you to everyone who has been supportive!

Take care,
    Tim Norman
    NormSoft, Inc.
    www.normsoft.com
    from his yahoo post.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I know that upgrades, for the most part, cost money and time, that's why I am more than happy to pay for upgrades in general! Nevertheless, I am disappointment with the latest PTunes' upgrade. "wav" files have been goofed off and I needed to convert them to MP3. It took tons of time.
    PTunes rocks and I am proud to own it, but this upgrade I can live without.
    What is this nonsense about being FORCED to use WMA in windows? There is soooo much FREE software out there to rip a CD to MP3.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    3RD-T, Are you address this at my responce? If so, I know there is a lot of free software to convert CD to MP3. I was just saying that a couple years ago, with the same OS and computer I am using now, I could see all my CD's songs as .wav files via Windoze Exploder. Now I can't, I assume one of the Media Player updates, or a patch/fix from the Microjuke update website?

ANyway, If you want to use the native software, that is with Windoze, unlike the past where you could just convert from wav to MP3, by doing a simple right click on the appropriate .wav file in Exploder, you now have to transfer them to your hard drive as a WMA file and even then you can't use them, unless you go into the options on Media Player and tell it not to encrypt them and you have to agree to some "I know I am breaking the law if I use these in the wrong way" statement too.

Is there something I am missing? I sure miss not being able to just do the old right click, right in exploder.
    I use the free DBpowerAMP as of lately.
    Regards,Matt
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    3RD-T, Are you address this at my responce? If so, I know there is a lot of free software to convert CD to MP3. I was just saying that a couple years ago, with the same OS and computer I am using now, I could see all my CD's songs as .wav files via Windoze Exploder. Now I can't, I assume one of the Media Player updates, or a patch/fix from the Microjuke update website?

ANyway, If you want to use the native software, that is with Windoze, unlike the past where you could just convert from wav to MP3, by doing a simple right click on the appropriate .wav file in Exploder, you now have to transfer them to your hard drive as a WMA file and even then you can't use them, unless you go into the options on Media Player and tell it not to encrypt them and you have to agree to some "I know I am breaking the law if I use these in the wrong way" statement too.

Is there something I am missing? I sure miss not being able to just do the old right click, right in exploder.
    I use the free DBpowerAMP as of lately.
    Regards,Matt
    There are programs where you can right click and convert tracks. I personally dont use them because they have horrible options. Also what OS are you using, because I never remember that as an option.
    Next just use a program that allows ID3 tags and CDDB database usage. Then you wont have to use WMA. Also WMA does not convert CDs better than MP3, LAME encoding is the much more accurate than WMA.
    Finally if you have that much of a problem with Microsoft products, as clearly you do, since you are reffering to them in such an appropriate context, then dont use their products. There are many alternatives. Although I fear you are at heart a "windows user" and would not like them.

Writen using MDK10.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    There are programs where you can right click and convert tracks. I personally dont use them because they have horrible options. Also what OS are you using, because I never remember that as an option.
    Next just use a program that allows ID3 tags and CDDB database usage. Then you wont have to use WMA. Also WMA does not convert CDs better than MP3, LAME encoding is the much more accurate than WMA.
    Finally if you have that much of a problem with Microsoft products, as clearly you do, since you are reffering to them in such an appropriate context, then dont use their products. There are many alternatives. Although I fear you are at heart a "windows user" and would not like them.

Writen using MDK10.
    My first putter was an Apple IIe, had a Trash80, then a comadore64 then I crossed over to the dark side. First time I saw a MAC, the GUI scared the heck out of me. I felt lost and restickted. I like the trash can Icon though...

I am running 98SE. Hey, if it aint broke.....

Anyway, the option to convert was after you installed a certain MP3 conversion software. I think I would open Exploder, and then rightclick and have an option to convert. Kinda like DBpowerAMP does now.

So is this guy full of it? He makes it sound like WMA128 is pretty darn good.
    http://www.cdburner.ca/digital-audio...icle/index.htm

My main point was, I said"almost forced", not forced. Also the fact that I can't view my CD's as .wav any more as I use to.
    That was my main beef, why I can't see my cd's as .wav anymore (via Explorer).

BTW, I call everything I can be it's wrong name, it doesn't mean I don't like it.

Wal-Mart -Wally World
    Alpine-Al-fine
    Rockford Fosgate- Rosco Fusebrake
    Phoenix Gold - Can't put it on the forum, sorry
    Kenwood-Kenmore
    Pioneer-Pain-in-the-ear
    Windows-WinDoze
    Explorer-Exploder
    Treo-Tree-O (an inside joke with TreoButler)
    TRS80- Trash80
    I am sure yo get the point

Sorry, I am a 14 year old at heart(36, my nature)

Thanks for the tip!

The only real beef with Microjuke, is all the muscle they seem to have.However, like you pointed out, we made that monster ourselves.....

Regards, Matt
  10.    #30  
    Well, I got a very pleasant response from Tim, and I accept that they are in business and have slogged on this programme and paid high licence fees to Microsh*te.
    I have no beef with Normsoft now that I have the reasons justified to me.
    As Tim says above, I am happy with the version I have so will stick with it. WMA is not for me, and streaming in the UK is a non starter, none of the SP here provide unlimited access to GPRS and they screw us for every kb... but hey, they are in business too and are just trying to support their familes... (or fat cat share holders in their case :-) Good luck to Normsoft, it is still the best product out there for MP3 enjoyment. I have enjoyed the lively debate, now lets move on gentlemen shall we?
    J
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    My first putter was an Apple IIe, had a Trash80, then a comadore64 then I crossed over to the dark side. First time I saw a MAC, the GUI scared the heck out of me. I felt lost and restickted. I like the trash can Icon though...

Anyway, the option to convert was after you installed a certain MP3 conversion software. I think I would open Exploder, and then rightclick and have an option to convert. Kinda like DBpowerAMP does now.

Regards, Matt

I did not think it was ever standard in windows to convert to MP3, which you confirmed. I dont know why you cant see them as waves anymore. Also I have no idea where you got Apple out of any of my post.

MDK 10 = Mandrake 10

If you hate Microsoft use a Linux distrobution. Dont expect it to be easy though.
    Dude, that thing is broken by nature.

I can't view my CD's as .wav any more as I use to.
    Are you thinking of how Explorer would display the contents of a CD as .CDA files?
    I did not think it was ever standard in windows to convert to MP3, which you confirmed. I dont know why you cant see them as waves anymore. Also I have no idea where you got Apple out of any of my post.

MDK 10 = Mandrake 10

If you hate Microsoft use a Linux distrobution. Dont expect it to be easy though.
    It never was standard, after you put a MP3 conversion sotware on your PC, then you could right click on the cd via Explorer and select the choice from the .wav

I didn;t get apple from your post, I was just sharing my brief and simple history.
    Anyway, thanks for the info about the tags and CDDB.

I thought about changing a long time ago, but I am already too far into it, and I am too lazy at this point to start over (read- Go Linux)
    Regards, Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Dude, that thing is broken by nature.

Are you thinking of how Explorer would display the contents of a CD as .CDA files?
    Snerdy, I don't think so, because I remember thinking it was so wierd that the CD songs were jsut .wav files. but that was a long time ago, heck perhaps my memory is hosed?

I may bite the bullet and go XP, though, I find less and less Win98SE supported stuff.

Regards, matt
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Avoid the bullet. CHANTS---UNIX UNIX UNIX UNIX
    Avoid the bullet. CHANTS---UNIX UNIX UNIX UNIX
    LOL.....
    ROFLMAO, thanks, I have not been home in alomst a month (overseas on business, hence the strang posting hours) and have not laughed like this in a while...I'll be home in three days.
    A good laugh does the body good.
    regards, Matt
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ^^ You mean linux not unix, and manrap at that, can we start a distro war please?

ONLY J/K

BTW Debian kicks arse

P.S. back on topic, I prefer Ogg Vorbis for music, I personally don't understand why we needed WMA in PocketTunes, but hey if people want to pay for it then so be it, but if the licensing on the WMA plugin has caused the price to be higher, it is a shame they don't individually sell the plugin as an add-on so for future version with features we actually want, we don't have to be contributing to Microsofts purse when many of us don't want or need WMA support!
    Yea, back on topic, so in this link, does this guy seem to know what he is talking about?
    It does look like WMA can be better then MP3 in some areas, or am I reading it wrong?
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 06/15/2004 at 12:42 AM.
    Yea, back on topic, so in this link, does this guy seem to know what he is talking about?
    It does look like WMA can be better then MP3 in some areas, or am I reading it wrong?
    WMA is better than MP3, much like MP3 Pro, AAC and Ogg Vorbis. Personally, I prefer Ogg, and am not too excited about having to pay for WMA support in PT 3.

And since when could you just convert to MP3 in explorer? I would prefer a dedicated ripper anyways. EAC (Exact Audio Copy) has served me very well for the past few years, resulting in very high quality files when combined with a good encoder.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Well Ogg comes out on top with quality on both his test songs, size was good on second not as good on first, so Ogg wins in my books if he is right

Also Ogg is opensource don't have to worry about cases like this where companies claim "we had to cover licensing costs" although it is a bit late now LOL

Fianlly to me the reason he gives for WMA being best is not quality it is "popularity and the soft- and hardware-support" pretty lame reason if you ask me, there is plenty of Ogg support out there, and MP3 is still more popular and has greater hardware supoport than WMA!
    Last edited by joele; 06/15/2004 at 01:01 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast