1.    #1  
    Going out of town and need a way to access my WinXP system at home (in order to ftp some files and update a website site). What software is the best to accomplish this task with my Treo? Thanks.
    assuming you have a cable modem or dsl connection at home.

you can install PalmVNC on your treo and VNC server program on your XP.
    if you use router at home, you might want either
    1) port forwarding
    or
    2) put your windows xp system on DMZone so you can access your PC thru router.

I just installed it few days ago and i could remotely access my pc when i am @ wk or on the road. about the ftp, you might want to go to www.download.com and see if they ahve any ftpd program you can download and set it up as a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    assuming you have a cable modem or dsl connection at home.

you can install PalmVNC on your treo and VNC server program on your XP.
    if you use router at home, you might want either
    1) port forwarding
    or
    2) put your windows xp system on DMZone so you can access your PC thru router.
    This will expose your PC to the internet, would it not? Then anybody can just trash your PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    This will expose your PC to the internet, would it not? Then anybody can just trash your PC?
    Assuming you are forwarding only the PalmVNC port and have properly setup security in VNC and XP, why would this be wide open?

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    Assuming you are forwarding only the PalmVNC port and have properly setup security in VNC and XP, why would this be wide open?

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
    superfire said "or".

Nobody said that a port could not be probed and broken into. Is using XP's security is 100% reliable?
    No one is arguing that "XP security is 100% reliable," lplplpx3 will have to accept some amount of risk if he wants access to the computer via the Internet. There is another way... one that isn't free, but I feel it does work better. Mobile TS works well and access is provided to the Windows desktops and workstations via the Terminal Services or Remote Desktop capabilities built into Windows XP. At 40.00 US it's expensive but worth it in my opinion.
    Mobile TS only works with windows XP pro, not XP home (it uses RDS)
    I don't have a static IP, which I'm assuming VNC requires. What's the best workaround?
    use something like no-ip.com
    Use a Dynamic DNS service like http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I don't have a static IP, which I'm assuming VNC requires. What's the best workaround?
    True, I was thinking option #1 with everything setup properly. Of course nothing is 100%, but that config for that one port would probably be pretty safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    superfire said "or".

Nobody said that a port could not be probed and broken into. Is using XP's security is 100% reliable?