1.    #1  
    Greetings,
    Sorry for such an obvious question, I have a small mail order business and customers often call needing to check the status of orders, & to get their tracking numbers. I also need to enter orders in my system when out of the office. I would like to be able to do this while on the phone with the customer and not have to hang up while I get the answer to their questions, then call them back. The Treo looks like the perfect tool for getting this info remotely.

I understand the Treo won't allow you to use the web function while on a call. Would it be a technical possibility that this could be possible in a future version, or is there a "work around" in the current model? Is any other PDA phone capable of this?

I would like to avoid carrying two phones if possible.

Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
    Last edited by rich644; 06/11/2004 at 09:56 AM.
  2. PAC
    I *think* that the GSM/GPRS version of the Treo 600 (TMobile, Cingular, AT&T) can do web and voice at the same time. The Sprint & Verizon CDMA version can't do voice and data at the same time. Something to look into, anyway.
    neither can, GSM's data session will get cut off in preference of voice services.

its possible with EV-DV though...maybe in late 2005, the Treo600's grandchild may be able to
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The Broadcom communication chipset that the Treo uses can only do Data or Voice not both at the same time. The Treo 600 is a Class B device so it can only do Voice or Data at a time. See the following web pages for more information on speeds / classes http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I would need a class "A" device to accomplish this.

Are there any class "A" devices currently on the market? or is there the possibility that a furure release of the Treo could be a class "A"?
    Currently you would have to move to Korea or Japan to get a class A device that works on a real network.
    the GSM 600 nearly does it. While not simultaneous, the GSM 600 will put your data connection on hold and get the voice call, as long as you are not actively transferring data (up or down) at the moment the call comes in. After the call is finished, the data connections acts just like it did earlier. That is, I can have Snappermail open, download my mail, and then be reading it. If phone call comes in, it will ring and I can answer it. If, however, a call comes in while Snappermail is downloading the messages, the call will get routed to voice mail.

I use the net pretty heavily with my treo and had to _try_ to get an incoming call routed to voice mail. Depending on how often your people are on the net, actively downloading, you may have more calls sent to voicemail.

P.S. I _always_ have Chatter 'connected'. Treohelper is set to restart my GPRS when I loose coverage, so I'm on with GPRS 90%+ of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    the GSM 600 nearly does it. While not simultaneous, the GSM 600 will put your data connection on hold and get the voice call, as long as you are not actively transferring data (up or down) at the moment the call comes in. After the call is finished, the data connections acts just like it did earlier. That is, I can have Snappermail open, download my mail, and then be reading it. If phone call comes in, it will ring and I can answer it. If, however, a call comes in while Snappermail is downloading the messages, the call will get routed to voice mail.

I use the net pretty heavily with my treo and had to _try_ to get an incoming call routed to voice mail. Depending on how often your people are on the net, actively downloading, you may have more calls sent to voicemail.
    My experience EXACTLY - Sprint CDMA tho.
    A bluetooth add-on would do it near a hotspot wouldn't it?
    Previous User of T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, Now Using T-Mobile Treo 600, Firmware v3.05, Software v600-1.12-ROW, Palm OS v5.2.1, Hardware B, Handspring Phone v1.0