1.    #1  
    Hi, what is the most effective way to use Treo 600 (SMS) as a pager?
    Is there a service that forwards paging (number/text) to SMS?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    good question I've often wondered. I know that with Sprint if you miss a call and it goes to voicemail, the caller has the option to leave a voice message or a number. if they simply leave a number you will receive a SMS.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Hello. I am a private practice physician and use my Treo 600 as a pager.

I simply changed my message to say,

"Hello, you have reached . . ., To leave a numeric pager, please press 2. Or you can leave a voice message and I will call you back as soon as possible"

This works great. I highly recommend Treo Alert from www.pdaapps.com
    You can tell your Treo how often to “nag” you if you missed a call/page/SMS; ie: 1 minute, 2 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. This should be have been part of the basic phone program, maybe on the next generation of Treos.

If you are in an area without service, you will get your message/page when you return to an area with service. Regular (one-way) pagers cannot do this.

When a hospital, nurse, or doctor tries to page me and I answer the phone, there is usually a few seconds of confusion, but they are pleased to have a real voice instead of a recording.

The best part is that I only carry ONE device, not a bandoleer of cell phone, PDA, and one (maybe more) pager.

Russell
    I use uReach.com, since I can use their toll-free number instead of giving out my cell. It sends the caller's phone number by sms before I even retrieve the voice message. It's $10 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by fungusamongus
    Hi, what is the most effective way to use Treo 600 (SMS) as a pager?
    Is there a service that forwards paging (number/text) to SMS?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Who's your service provider?

Cingular also has the option of when you reach your voicemail prompt for the caller to send a numeric messag which shows up as an SMS or leaving a voicemail.

I've got my skytel pager forwarded to my cingular SMS email address.
    Works fine. (However, this won't work with Sprint SMS addresses.)
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    If you are Cingular customer you can dial this toll free # 1-800-856-6122 and have a page sent to the mobile phone. Of course you need to input the mobile phone # to be able to send a numeric page.
    This works great as I have voice mail set up at the office to send me a page whenever I recieve new voicemail.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all for your input! Great advices!
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    If you are Cingular customer you can dial this toll free # 1-800-856-6122 and have a page sent to the mobile phone. Of course you need to input the mobile phone # to be able to send a numeric page.
    This works great as I have voice mail set up at the office to send me a page whenever I recieve new voicemail.
    Very cool tip. I was just having my work voicemail call my cell phone...I'd see the caller ID and not answer...then it would send me a page (by pressing 2 during the Cingular voicemail greeting). But I'll change it to juse use this number instead!

Any idea if these pages are counted against test messages? The pages from the voicemail system (after pressing 2) are not in my experience.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I am also trying to get my skytel text pager to forward to my Cingular Treo600 as SMS messages. I can log into the Skytel site, but I'm not sure how to enter my SMS address. Can someone please help?
    Thanks
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks, that's jut what I needed
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    ATT:
    phonenumber@mobile.att.net --> SMS
    username@mymmode.com --> mmode email
    if on sprint.... just send a page to your_phone_number@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Our Police Department uses third party software by InfoRad called AlphaPage to reach our 200+ pagers.

I configured it to send these same pages to our 4 Sprint Treo600's using the xxx-xxx-xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it works great and shows up as an SMS.

We have one problem: One person's Treo600 is on T-Mobile and we have been unable to configure AlphaPage to go through the internet and send the messages to that device.

Anyone had any experience with TMO (we tried the standard xxx-xxx-xxxx@tmomail.net with no success) or is there a TMO rep here on TreoCentral who could help?
    Last edited by ChiefBragg; 09/09/2004 at 05:39 PM.
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."
    FYI, Skytel can forward pages to other devices like the Treo. In fact any service that uses the TAPI protocol can do this. Refer to the following post for more info...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=tapi

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBragg
    We have one problem: One person's Treo600 is on T-Mobile and we have been unable to configure AlphaPage to go through the internet and send the messages to that device.

Anyone had any experience with TMO (we tried the standard xxx-xxx-xxxx@tmo.net with no success) or is there a TMO rep here on TreoCentral who could help?

I believe the correct e-mail address for T-Mobile is:
    xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBragg

Anyone had any experience with TMO (we tried the standard xxx-xxx-xxxx@tmo.net with no success) or is there a TMO rep here on TreoCentral who could help?
    Try using 10digitnumber@tmomail.net without dashes.
    Thanks for the two tips.... we had actually tried what TMO told us: tmomail.net....without the dashes... that was a "typo" in my original post.

We are beginning to think it is a firewall or port issue on our side that is not allowing it to pass through.

We are still working on it.....
    "Arguing with a police officer is like mud wrestling a pig.
    Eventually you realize that the pig likes it."